XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR new shocks KYB, Monroe, Sensen, or Bilstein?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XJR new shocks KYB, Monroe, Sensen, or Bilstein?

There's a clonking noise from the front left of my Jaguar X308 XJR and I was told the front left shock needs replacing. I'm not convinced (or it's just futile hope on my part). I'll get a second opinion anyway.

I've had the upper shock mounts done already.

I also had new engine mounts installed a couple weeks ago. URO not original but I hope they're not perished yet.

I know at least one of the subframe mounts or vee-mounts needs replacing. I don't know how bad it is but the clonking noise got significantly worse yesterday.

I have all other parts for a suspension overhaul, waiting for an appointment at the car doctor to be installed ... sway bar mounts, control arm bushes and balljoints upper and lower, shock bushes, vee-mounts, tie rods.

The car has CATS suspension but at $300-$400 for each shock absorber I'll try something cheaper and disconnect the CATS module.

Car has done 160,000 km.

From reading as many related topics as I can find, this seems to be the picture ...

Bilstein - OE shocks, best option, also most expensive, whether CATS or not.
KYB - seem to be the second best choice, some say ride is a bit firm.
Monroe - mixed opinions, a few comments they have a short lifespan.
Sensen - a couple of happy comments, haven't found much negative about them in the forum.

I'm leaning towards the KYB as the best compromise between handling, lifespan, price.

I'm not racing the car or that fussed about having top class handling. I just want to drive it in reasonable comfort again.

But I'm very interested in the price of the Sensens, which are cheap relative to other shocks. A set of 4 for front and rear from RockAuto for just over $100, or $130 from Amazon. Is that too good to be true? Is the lifespan likely to be weeks, months, or years?

For comparison, approximate prices are:

Bilstein $200 both front, $300 both rear. Total $500. For non-CATS. For CATS, total around $1500+.
KYB $120 both front, $150 both rear. Total $270.
Monroe ?? front, $100 both rear. Guessing total less than $200, haven't found fronts yet.
Sensen $60 both front, $60 both rear. Total $120.

Any opinions? Or suggestions for alternatives I haven't considered?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have always gone Bilstein for my personal cars. Never liked KYB and will never buy them. I found out about /www.allshocks.com/ after i bought new shocks for my XJR and could have saved a good bit (under 400 for a full set). These shocks are Non Cats as is my XJR.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Thanks for that link. That's useful. I could only find XJ8 not XJR but I expect they'll do the job.

Yes, good price on Bilstein HD - total just under $400 (about $100 for each corner, front and rear prices similar). For non-CATS.

They also have Koni Special D. I don't know what they're like but of the two brands I'd probably go for Bilstein since they're OE, and Koni are more expensive. Front about $117 each, rear about $152 each, total $540. For non-CATS.

Didn't find any other brands ...

http://www.allshocks.com/CAR/JAGUAR/2000/XJ8

Bonus they do international shipping, and give shipping cost at start of checkout process, not end.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the bilsteins listed on Allshocks are actually the sport ones. If you take the part numbers and cross reference them on the bilstein web site they come up as the sport shocks.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 870 Likes on 717 Posts

A phone call to the parts clerk at Allshocks will answer the question of which Bilstein you need for your car. They may also comment on what you need to do to disengage the CAT feature.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

In my opinion, the Bilsteins are perfectly matched to the XJR and offer just the right compromise between control and comfort. Just installed new fronts. Yes, $200 for the pair.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvirgil
I think the bilsteins listed on Allshocks are actually the sport ones. If you take the part numbers and cross reference them on the bilstein web site they come up as the sport shocks.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873
This may be a stupid question but when selecting the shock, is there a major difference in the sport vs non sport and how do you determine which one you have?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

The XJR always has sport shocks. OEM sports shocks are always green.

Standard shocks are black, and are fitted to XJ8s. There might be some XJ8s in North America with the sport option, and sport shocks. Not sure about that. I fitted sport shocks to my XJ8 to stiffen up the ride. They are 30 to 50% stiffer.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, there is a definite difference between sport and non-sport shocks. The sport ones are much harder and personally I don't like them. The Jag is a comfort cruiser and those sport shocks make the suspension very hard.

Personal experience here,

Bilstein: too expensive and far to hard.
Monroe: cheep but like you said, limited life span
KYB: don't go there
Koni: best choice, relatively cheep, excellent road holding end handling, not too hard and on top of that they last a lifetime.

Like I said, personal preferences. I must admit I never heard about Sensen.

Last edited by Nick Wood; 05-18-2015 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Auspuff (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

In my experience, its important to match the shock to the spring, which is something that the car manufacturer is very careful to do. OEM shocks are nearly always the best choice, for this reason. For an XJ8, I would go for the black non-sport Bilsteins. For an XJR, the green sport ones. I did once put the green ones on an XJ8, and they were indeed too firm for the XJ8 springs, even though they are a perfect match for the XJR springs. In fact, my XJR rides better than the XJ8 did, both with sport dampers. This is the benefit of good matching between spring and shock.

Last edited by Mark SF; 05-19-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Wood
KYB: don't go there
Uh oh. Why not?

I must admit I never heard about Sensen.
Neither had I. They have some poor quality and poor lifespan reviews on Amazon (in general, not for the Jaguar shocks). But not so many bad reviews that I'd dismiss them altogether. If Sensen vs Monroe vs KYB, I'm tempted to try Sensen given the price they are.

Thought I'd find a few negative comments about them on other forums but not so many - mostly just saying the ride was stiffer than expected.

Found this on their website ...

http://www.sensen-na.com/

OE supplier to European manufacturers for the domestic China market.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

KYB Is a very large concern making shocks, so don't get me wrong because they are quite good. Only thing is they are mostly used for Japanese sportscars, they just don't perform well under a Jaguar.

Have you considered Sachs? I got the Super Touring version under my BMW 7-series and I think they are a perfect, as well in sporty drives as in comfy drives. On top of that I only changed them once in 300.000km ( about 180.000 miles).

Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

I was using Koni for a several mounthes. I have replaced old KYB till i was waiting for the new CATS dampers. When i have installed CATS shock the car changes completely! It is now very smooth and comfortable. On the Koni car was shaking and boucing on the road even when it was set to the softest position.
But i get another problem. After i have put a cats shocks on the car i can hear the clonking noise from the front so i can fell it with my foot. I was also replacing the upper bush mounting so i'm not sure it comes from the damper or from the bushes.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

"But i get another problem. After i have put a cats shocks on the car i can hear the clonking noise from the front so i can fell it with my foot. I was also replacing the upper bush mounting so i'm not sure it comes from the damper or from the bushes."

Lower shock bushings came with the new shocks and you have replaced the upper mounts (given your history, I am sure you used the most expensive, brand new, OEM parts): next step would be to renew the sway bar bushings (Search for lots of threads -- an easy task) and then the front sway bar links. If that doesn't fix the problem, review the tightness of the upper shock mount bushings (shake the shock, if it is moving, have your tech redo it/tighten it up). Then, ball joints and bearings,V-joints, etc.

Last edited by Jhartz; 05-27-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I failed to recognize the poster was Rosterman who buys nothing but the best and has pros do the work
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz
"But i get another problem. After i have put a cats shocks on the car i can hear the clonking noise from the front so i can fell it with my foot. I was also replacing the upper bush mounting so i'm not sure it comes from the damper or from the bushes."

Lower shock bushings came with the new shocks and you have replaced the upper mounts (given your history, I am sure you used the most expensive, brand new, OEM parts): next step would be to renew the sway bar bushings (Search for lots of threads -- an easy task) and then the front sway bar links. If that doesn't fix the problem, review the tightness of the upper shock mount bushings (shake the shock, if it is moving, have your tech redo it/tighten it up). Then, ball joints and bearings,V-joints, etc.
All the suspension parts are new and OEM made by Jaguar. The only thing the upper bushings i have bought not OEM because in my opinion $400 bucks for one metall plate is to much so i get the rubber upper bushings from motorcarsltd. This is the only thing in the suspension what is not OEM. It is a good idea to check tightness of the shock! Thank you. It must be doing shock or the upper bushing. I hope new shocks are not faulty.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

My upper shock mounts are also from MotorCars. When it is cold out, the neoprene gets harder and the shock rod vibrates and clunks inside the upper mount. My local indy put shims around both rods to quiet the rattle. Works, mostly: very cold - below 10*F - there is still some rattle: Dead quiet once it heats up above 50*F. Silicon spray also quiets them.

Remarkably, I remember you had changed out all the front end parts with OEM: I am still jealous.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Yes, $200 for the pair.
I guess you mean for non-CATS shocks ... and does that mean you fitted them to an XJR which previously had CATS shocks? Did you notice much or any difference in the ride and handling?

KYB Is a very large concern making shocks, so don't get me wrong because they are quite good. Only thing is they are mostly used for Japanese sportscars, they just don't perform well under a Jaguar.
Ah ok. Fair enough.

Have you considered Sachs?
Thanks. No, I only looked for brands available from RockAuto or Amazon. Because of where I am, I factor in which company I order from also, which in general has come down to those two if ordering from USA. There are plenty of suppliers in the USA but it's tedious to figure out which ones really do ship internationally without being a PITA about it.

As it turns out, second opinion on noise was some nuts which needed tightening, so I have been saved from shock renewal for the time being. I had a brief search for Sachs but didn't find much. I'll search more thoroughly for Sachs if (or when) I need to reconsider shock absorber purchase.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

No, the car was already non-cats. That price is for non-cats, yes.