XJR performance modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: XJR performance modifications

Realy wondering aswell about this

I have mounted bakboxes from Minas on my XJR and there were some power up

I have no dyno to prove this but the car felt quicker

Not noisier though so i will be replacing/removeing some more mufflers in the near future

I also have an lower pully laying araound waiting to be fitted and i´m planing on doing this myself at the sametime as i replace my chain/tensioners

Will let you know how it´s going

Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates ? i'm looking to buy a MINA exhaust system.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Bump

Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

first to get the most benefit from mods you need the factory ecu parameters reflashed with a better tune like Euroteks. Better yet would be to have the ecu tweeked on the dynowith all your mods done. The factory ecu wants to see certain ignition and fuel tables, this will give you the Air to Fuel ratios the factory wants, safe, but generally not the best for an "enthusiats" needs or benefit. You can change the exhaust and intake and get larger intitial increases, but the factory ecu will change long term fuel trim to get back to the specified afr and there goes a good portion of your increases. Ive said many times the best bang for the buck is a ecu tune, this will get more from you added mods as you do them, and to get even more dyno tune. As far as othe increases on a R I would use a dedicated intercooler system, pump and added cooler in front of the radiator bypassing running hot 220 degree engine coolant through them. My dedicated system on my super charged truck never gets hot to the touch. This would also reduce the chances of detonation as would a cooler thermostat which allows for more boost and timing safely. As for Voiding a warranty thats BS tell them to go read the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. Unless a mod can be proven to have caused the failure they cannot deny coverage, and who determines if you car should be warrantied or not? Me the tech working on it, if thats the way youre treated where you go, eith 1 find another tech, service advisor, or 2 find another dealer.... Jaguar doesnt know if a returned part came off a stock car or highly modded 1, only the person working on it does.....

Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

As far as othe increases on a R I would use a dedicated intercooler system, pump and added cooler in front of the radiator bypassing running hot 220 degree engine coolant through them

I divorced the intercooler system from the main system on my XJR/6. I think it helped...no dyno numbers, though, for proof. Added an axtra fan, too, and an F150 Lightening pump which, I'm told, flows about twice the volume as the OEM Jag pump.

I am wondering about a bigger intercooler, or adding a second intercooler in series. Somebody out there is selling a aluminum one for $1200 or so. I gotta think I can come up with something for less than that.

Unless a mod can be proven to have caused the failure they cannot deny coverage, and who determines if you car should be warrantied or not? Me the tech working on it, if thats the way youre treated where you go, eith 1 find another tech, service advisor, or 2 find another dealer.... Jaguar doesnt know if a returned part came off a stock car or highly modded 1, only the person working on it does.....

Making it more important than ever to stay on the good side of your dealership techs and advisors

Some techs will blow the whistle every time, in hopes of changing the job from warranty pay ($) to customer pay ($$$)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i used a 3"X14"X7" with 3/4" hose fittings for $150 shipped off E BAY type in air to water intercooler youll find it

Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

i used a 3"X14"X7" with 3/4" hose fittings for $150 shipped off E BAY type in air to water intercooler youll find it

In addition to the original, or replacing the original?

Thanks

Cheers
DD

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

any updates ?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Did you consider Magnaflow exhaust

I still am running the stock exhaust on my 01 XJR, but recently replaced my 86 Vette stock exhaust with a Magnaflow stainless steel cat back system and it was remarkable. Better gas mileage, more noticeable horsepower and of course the perfect rumble for this car. Would consider this option if investing in exhaust over the pricier Borla system.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Borla Kit

I have the Borla on my 99 XJR. It is A LOT more aggressive sounding than stock, but still pretty muted when not revving. I noticed a big gain in my low end torque. I also did the Iridium plugs, denso MAP Sensor, replaced both O2 sensors while I was down there, and custom built my own air filter setup. My next step is the upper pulley. I would definetly recommend the Borla kit, you can get it off of "auction site" for 600 plus shipping.

BORLA Jaguar cat back exhaust system XJR 98 - 00 | eBay