XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR - Will replacing silencers with straight pipes affect performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014 | 11:16 PM
|
Default XJR - Will replacing silencers with straight pipes affect performance?

Hi guys I purchased a tidy 2000 model XJR last week and have been enjoying the car since. One thing that I don't like is how quiet the car is when unleashing the full power. Apart from the supercharger whine it's very quiet.

I have been looking into how I can get more of a v8 burble sound and have been advised that removing the back box silencers will give that sound. I have also been told by others that doing this will be bad for my cars performance as it's supercharged and needs back pressure for low rev torque.

My car has 5 silencers in total, can anyone advise me on the best way to proceed to try and get a more deep beefy sound. I am not interested in putting an expensive after market exhaust or 200 cel cats as it's not cost effective due to the low value of the car. I have been quoted £200 for converting the exhaust to straight pipes after the central resonator - is that about right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-14-2014 | 08:02 AM
|

Can anyone with the knowledge on this advise?

Old 10-14-2014 | 09:28 AM

There is a company that I used for my 911. Fab speed. I see you are located in the UK. They are located in Pennsylvania. Great company to do business with and they use quality parts. I did headers, exhaust and cold air intake.

I think what your looking for is a nice burble when crusing and start up. Ask their opinion, but you may be able to get that without spending big bucks for a new exhaust. New Cats and cold air intake may be the cheapest way to get what you want and a HP bump. If that doesn't work, then you can always do the exhaust. This is my opinion, but call Fab Speed. I too like exhaust noise at all speeds, but I'm OK without it. I would like to hear it under full

throttle. To me, the supercharger noise does nothing for me. When I had a Porsche, I wanted it to sound like my Ferrari. When I got my Lamborghini, I was happy it was quiet except at 3 Grand and more under acceleration. Also, understand that when you do exhaust work, expect the check engine light to go on. Not sure where you live, but in New York, you wont pass inspection with the "CEL" on.

Old 10-14-2014 | 06:32 PM

I am no longer in the UK, so cannot specifically talk about the cost.

On my vehicle I first had the middle muffler and the two resonators taken out and had a X pipe installed. The cost was $150. It will bring your engine to life, but the vehicle sounded more like an American muscle car, so I took it back and they added two free flowing resonators right after the X pipe and it sounds perfect. You might like it without the resonators so try it. The only recommendation I would have is to add the X pipe vs. straight pipes.

The other option would be to get a suitable free flowing muffler and no resonators. This is the set up I had on my AMG, OEM muffler, but had the resonators taken out and it sounded great.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2014 | 06:37 PM

Also, I have noticed no negative impact on performance after making this change.

Old 10-14-2014 | 11:38 PM

knightrider,

Like you, i too was looking for a little more noise and growl from the V-8, and after not being able to live with the stealthy and discrete power delivery, I bit the bullet and had the center resonator and the two just before the axle removed and replaced with large diameter straight pipe for about 200 bucks. I did not add an x pipe, so the exhaust is a true dual exhaust with no x pipe or h pipe cross over to even out the exhaust banks. It produces an almost performance cam like sound, with a greater pulsating as opposed to a smoother and steady note. Also, the less restricted exhaust will result in some popping and backfiring, an attribute I love personally, especially being such a sucker for the commotion the f-type creates from its mufflers, but such effect may not be for all.
However, I can say there does seem to be a loss in low end rev range power. Its subtle, but my sportive driving has made such nearly insignificant losses noticeable.
To be honest though, the added sound is intoxicating and is worth the marginal loss in low end grunt.
Now just the other day, I had a separation in my exhaust, a leak if you will, where the exhaust on the one bank was exiting just before the muffler. The sound is thunderous, with backfires that are apparently as loud as gun shots, as proven when the police arrived on my street to investigate a call in. It's far too loud and the car certainly does not respond well either. With the dramatic loss in back pressure in addition to, and possibly expounded because the two exhaust banks are not balanced resulted in an engine that was stumbling and idling haphazardly as it tried to make sense of the information the sensors were relaying.
That said, a completely straight piped exhaust can upset your jag, but removing either the two pre-axle resonators, the center resonator, or all the three will easily provide a nice audible growl to your Jag without much performance loss if any!

Also, this is Devspider's thread about the very exhaust work that I replicated for my own Jag to which he has a few videos that give you a taste of what to expect.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/