XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

xjr worth the extra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 03:38 PM
|
Default xjr worth the extra?

Been looking around at the different xj models and had pretty much set myelf on finding a good 4.0l xj8 but have since noticed that for about an extra £1k I could get a reasonable mileage xjr.

Is there much difference mpg wise? I know neither will be great but something above 20 is a bonus (likely to be lpg converted anyway). Have read about a few issues with superchargers and heads on the xjrs but wanted genuine owners views on this.

Guess what I'm really trying to ask is are the xjrs worth the extra costs or would i be just as pleased with the 4.0 xj8 sport?

Old 05-25-2011 | 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

TRY BOTH! But be cautious of kickdown in the R, dry roads only. Listen to cold start-ups for noises, ask if tensioner work is done, depending on years, waterpumps, throttle bodies, supercharger seals all got upgraded.

My take on a well maintained R - 18 urban 22-28 motorway, single figures if you stand on it.
'02 is the year to go for, engine has the 4.2 upgrades. No engine issues.

Superchargers are good for over 100k - some recommend a partial fluid change after this many miles. All will have a little play, if it chatters on the overrun, it's likely it'll need a new coupler and nose bearings, basically an overhaul.

Have no knowledge of the n/a cars, maybe drop stu1986 a line he has on '01.

As far as LPG goes I've only read good views, the only down side is losing the spare, maybe having to buy runflats. There's a company that convert XJ8's advertising in Jaguar World maybe worth talking to them about it.

To me the R is the better buy, the gearbox is Mercedes and bombproof, not ZF and prone to A drum failure.
High spec' as against the sport, possible items include power fold auto dimming mirrors, premium sound with navigation and phone (the last two are purely cosmetic, 20th century things), just to keep originality I guess.
The 370bhp engine - buy '01/'02 if you can. You sleep easy, and still have the smile on your face when gunning it is allowed.

Last edited by Sean B; 05-25-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 06:46 PM

I can't comment on a LPG conversion for either model, but if we are talking Petrol, I would go hands down for the R model. The slight difference in price is well worth it. As Sean stated, the transmission is worth every penny of the price difference as with the added bonus of the kick in the pants each time you put your foot in it with sport mode on.

I would think that if you are doing a LPG conversion, the SC model may not be the best choice, but again, I know nothing about it so it is simply a guess.

Old 05-25-2011 | 08:09 PM

XJR all the way, as others have said the newer ones do have fewer problems, I have an 02 XJR that I got with 40,000 miles on it for 4 years now and I've put 27,000 miles on it without incident. The acceleration on the XJR is superior to the XJ8, the time from 0-60 miles per hour is around 7 seconds on the XJ8 and around 5 seconds on the XJR. The XJR's wheels, larger exhaust tips, and grille is nicer looking than an XJ8( but you do get those appearance items with an XJ sport)

Finally, the transmission. The XJR transmission is much better than the non-XJR transmission, whatever extra cost you pay to get an XJR is probably cheaper than buying an XJ8 and having to replace/repair/rebuild the transmission.

Old 05-25-2011 | 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Superchargers are good for over 100k - some recommend a partial fluid change after this many miles. All will have a little play, if it chatters on the overrun, it's likely it'll need a new coupler and nose bearings, basically an overhaul.
What does the chatter sound like?

To me the R is the better buy, the gearbox is Mercedes and bombproof, not ZF and prone to A drum failure.
The Merc gearbox might make the whole difference since a rebuild of the ZF can eat up more than the initial price differential. (whoops, JagXJR02 just said the same thing!)

That is aside from all of the other additional perks and the fact that the upper tensioner job is easier without having to worry about the VVT mechanisms.

Old 05-26-2011 | 01:20 AM
|

Thanks for the input, i forgot to add I will be looking for a model around 2000-2001 due to current cost and road tax purposes so dont know if this makes a difference to the question.

I have found a couple of xj's that i am interested in but all are a good few hours drive away. I would love to test both but there seems to be nothing local to go and look at.

Originally Posted by plumsauce
What does the chatter sound like?
I'm interested in this too. What should I be listening out for?

Originally Posted by plumsauce
That is aside from all of the other additional perks and the fact that the upper tensioner job is easier without having to worry about the VVT mechanisms.
Got a little confused here, are you saying the tensioners on the xjr are easier to do or the xj8?

cheers

Old 05-26-2011 | 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by snoopsmydogg

Got a little confused here, are you saying the tensioners on the xjr are easier to do or the xj8?
The XJR is easier because it does not have the VVT mechanism used by the XJ8.

You are better off with the 2001(UK) than the 2000 because of Nikasil. Your 2001 model year is the 2002 model year for North America.

Old 05-26-2011 | 02:22 AM
|

That's great, thanks for that.

Checked insurance and almost double a standard xj8 but from what's been posted so far it seems I won't care once I'm driving it. Will get a supercharger overhall priced up just in case but think ill give the tensioners a go myself if needed although it does seem a lot of them have had 3rd gen timing kits fitted already.

Think I may have a busy car hunting weekend ahead

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:51 AM
Veteran Member

The supercharger is a if it happens item. It is not remotely in the same class of necessity as the upper tensioners since it does not lead to catastophic damage of the unit or to components outside of the unit. But, some wise owners consider it wise to change the lubricant in the drive snout. That is a definite DIY.

Last edited by plums; 05-26-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 09:02 AM

I'm partial, I like to stand on it from time to time and go, really go. If you were looking for a BWM you'd be asking - should I buy and M5 or a 525? for 1K more, it would be a simple choice. if you are looking for a MPG car, neither would be my choice. if you want refinement and decent power go with the 8, if you want more go, take the R. both a great looking and driving cars.

Old 05-27-2011 | 02:04 PM
|

supraman mpg is not a major concern, if it was i would be driving a fiesta and not a land rover .

I was more concerned with the possible reliability problems associated with superchargers, heads etc but it seems that with proper servicing these can hopefully be avoided and with a more reliable gearbox to boot.

might be a slight change of plan though, have come across a nice x300 xjr which seems to tick all boxes other than 0-60 times but i have posted in the x300 area about that.

just going to have to take my time and find the best for my money

Old 05-27-2011 | 06:53 PM

supraman mpg is not a major concern, if it was i would be driving a fiesta and not a land rover .

I was more concerned with the possible reliability problems associated with superchargers, heads etc but it seems that with proper servicing these can hopefully be avoided and with a more reliable gearbox to boot.

might be a slight change of plan though, have come across a nice x300 xjr which seems to tick all boxes other than 0-60 times but i have posted in the x300 area about that.

If I'm not mistaken the x300 got the same MPG so if it were me, I would go for the x308 for the more stylish interior and the V8. I would just start driving different ones so you can see the difference. When I shop, I look at ones that I might be inclined to buy, then drive them, and try and line up several on the same day so I can drive them back to back for comparison purposes.

Good luck on your search.

Old 05-27-2011 | 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

As you may know, the inline 6 is bulletproof, although that snake nest of hoses is apparently a huge pain to deal with.

There is *nothing* quite like a boosted inline six. Now, if you could only find one of the rare 5 speed manual Getrag equipped XJR/6 ... (apparently most of them stayed in the UK)

The XJR/6 are also equipped with full conventional limited slip differentials.

The two rear wheel arches are problem areas for rust.

Last edited by plums; 05-27-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2011 | 04:07 AM
|

Didnt know there was a manual xjr6 but had a quick scout on the internet and I can only find one in the country for sale so guessing they must be pretty sought after. Seemed a bit overpriced too. 1995 xjr6 manual with 177,000miles and asking about £5,000

What is the xjr6 gearbox like? after reading threads on here it seems the standard xj8 gearbox is a bit weak but the xjr8 is good. Is this the same with the x300 series or are both boxes good/bad.

Given the choice I would prefer the xjr8 but like i have said this one sounds pretty good. FSH, well cared for and an lpg system already fitted. Its a bit more expensive than a standard xjr6 but a lot less than buying one and having an lpg install done after

Last edited by snoopsmydogg; 05-28-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2011 | 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Snoop, a fair price for LPG install is £800-£1000

The manual XJR6 is a rare car, hence the premium. My concern with something this old, is rot. If you go to see it, check the rear screen base both sides for bubbling. Also the front shocks, look behind them at the bodyshell for rot, and the upper front shock mounts under the bonnet. Lower rear edge of the front wings for bubbles and top of rear arches. You don't want to find you need to shell out for panels and paint.

Please Read This on the differences...

Go LPG Research - X308

330bhp on the 6, 370bhp on the 8. Much better interior on the 8, updated styling to the exterior on the 8, again in my mind much better.

The engine and trans in the XJR6 manual is exactly the same as the Aston Martin DB7. The AJ16 is bombproof as far as reliability. The manual gearbox is an uprated Getrag 244 I think with cryogenic toughened gears. I buy them to install in E-Types.

Old 05-28-2011 | 07:11 AM
|

sorry I meant the xjr6 auto box

are the auto boxes strong enough in the x300s?

I know what you are saying and ideally it would be the xjr8 for me too but i know whatever I do there will be a compromise and I think its the lpg install that has me interested. I have sent an email to go-lpg from a link and asked how much for the xjr8 install just so I can include it in my figures while looking