XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJSport V8 Won't start "No Compression"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJSport V8 Won't start "No Compression"

Received this today, and it is much the same answer from Mmutch but more detailed. Mechanic arrived and completed the job in two hours on the driveway.

'Big Thanks' to Jaguar Forum.

This from an ex Jaguar worker.

" I can’t tell you how many times 308's do this. I was at Jag from 1998 to 2006. When 308's were new, they were being recovered in and we didn’t even let them unload the car, just went over and started them, revved for a bit to clear out and sent straight back to the customer with a bit of advice of how not to do it again. The classic customer phone call was, I got the car out the garage yesterday to wash it, then put it back, it was fine, then the next day it wouldn't start.

IF IT’S ON COLD START ALWAYS CLEAR IT OUT BEFORE YOU SWITCH OFF.*

Your car is flooded, nothing more, the bores may be worn, but they wont have gone from starting to none starting over night.

What you need to do is simple (and sorry for going over what’s already been covered)

Charge battery so is full, or attach to jump pack or jump vehicle.

Open the bonnet go to the throttle body and hold it on absolute full throttle, (its easy to say floor the accelerator but with slack in the cable, and the full throttle stop be badly adjusted and you wont actually get the injector cut off you want to happen, so doing it under the bonnet can make all the difference in the world). If you have no assistant, make sure you wind the throttle stop under the accelerator pedal right into the floor first, and floor the pedal.*

Have an assistant hold the key in the crank position and tell them no matter what, don’t let go of the key, After about 45 seconds very slowly reduce the throttle position to say 80-90%, you should hear the injectors start clicking (it will be hard over the noise of the starter but should be possible) then modulate between 100% and 80-90% throttle as you hear the engine start to fire.

If you have been cranking for more than say 1 minute 30 secs. Give up and get the plugs out. THEY DO NOT NEED REPLACING, just drying and cleaning. Best thing is a gas soldering iron to burn the fuel off, but if you have not got one, blowing on them should be enough. With the plugs out you want an oil can and 2 squirts in each bore. About 50ml of oil, too little and it wont work, to much and you will be smoking for a week. Before you put the plugs back in, just flick the key so it turns over for 2 to 3 secs. Wipes the oil into the cylinder walls you see, and if you put too much in, fires the residue out the top rather than hydraulicing the engine.

Then plugs back in and repeat the full throttle start up as above. I have never failed to get one going like this. If it doesn't work, then check for spark but I'm sure it will.

And it will smoke like mad when it fires, just keep the revs up, say 3000rpm for a minute. And then go for a blast to clear it out, try to do this on a deserted road, or you will scare innocent motorist and get in trouble with the Law."

"Best Wishes and Thanks". It worked I took the big cat for a blast down the M55.

John Wilson
(Gianni)

The following 4 users liked this post by Gianni:
bigcat777 (03-08-2014), Bill Swift (03-16-2014), Superman001 (03-08-2014), test point (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Gianni, I was just about to take the plugs out to oil the bores when I found this post. This washing has happened to my XK8 V8 engine before, it seems to be when I haven't driven it for over a week. Your advice was spot on and the car started after about a minute of non stop winding the starter motor over (which is something that goes against the grain). You saved me a lot of time. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome Bill, this Forum has helped me on a few occasions. Only glad to share what bits of knowledge we gain.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

In the Volvo world, we call the problem "The Lawnmower Syndrome". Someone starts the car to move it far enough to get the lawnmower out of the garage, tries to start it an hour or so later and nothing.

Mixed feelings to know it happens to other cars as well.