XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Yellow rain in the car wash and a sideways hood ornament

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yellow rain in the car wash and a sideways hood ornament

I took my XJ8 through an automatic car wash for the first time since I bought it. I chose the "wash and wax" type option. I was a little nervous, because though I hadn't had any problems with rain leaking in through the sunroof, I knew this was much higher pressure water.

As the machine was pushing me through, suddenly little drips of yellow liquid started coming through the rear of the sunroof. I assume the wax/polish is yellow. Overall it wasn't too much, and it was easily wiped up. However, my 13 year old daughter was convinced we were about to die of drowning by yellow liquid filling up the car over the remaining 5 feet until it was all over.

After exiting, I saw that my Jaguar hood ornament was turned sideways. That was easily remedied, and everything else seemed ok.

My questions:

- Do we Jaguar owners generally avoid automatic car washes?
- Is replacing the sunroof seal pretty easy, and where is the best place to get a new seal?
- I wondered, ever since I bought the Jag about 3 weeks ago, why I can lift up on the hood ornament and then lock it into place exactly backward. Maybe a silly question: is this so that car washes won't "hook" onto it accidentally, or is there some other reason why you would ever want to turn it around?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

You don't put your grandmother's fine china in the dishwasher, do you! Automatic car washes are fine for Accords and Camrys, but we're supposed to be automotive enthusiasts. We're supposed to have some sense of preserving our Jaguars for posterity, or at least for a much longer than average service life. Automated car washes use harsh detergents, high pressure spray and even hot water to loosen the dirt. That also strips any wax and can damage the paint. And the rotating brushes just sling the sand that embedded from the Jeep 4x4 that went through ahead of you. Its not that much work to hand wash. A Carrand mop and water blade help make quick work of it. And modern chemical technology brings us wipe on waxes that protect at least as well as old carnuba paste waxes and take literally 1/20th the time (tho it doesn't shine like the old fashioned stuff). Mequiars Ultimate Quick Wax is so easy to use that I actually apply it after every other car wash as compared to going sometimes six months or more before I'd begrudgingly wax my cars the old fashioned way (despite advertising, the best wax in the world maybe lasts 2-3 months here in Texas so 6 months was neglectful). If you don't want to wash it yourself, pay $20 for a hand wash. Sorry, but just one more way that Jag's aren't cheap to own.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Usually, leaks here are indicative of plugged drains at the rear of both sides of the sunroof compartment... time to 'roto-root' them.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually put my VDP thru a automatic wash (but no brushes!) about every other tank of gas. The small tray part of your inside sunroof should direct all water away, I'd agree with Quadmaniac that you are going to want to check the drains.

The loose leaper is a bit concerning. They are spring loaded and made to break away in case of accident or theft (as to not damage the bonnet/hood).
There is a cable on the bottom of the leaper itself, which goes thru a spring and finally a crimped connector that holds the assembly together.
It is possible that the cable is pulling thru the crimp making it overly loose.

I had to replace my leaper after it was stolen last summer. The new one is much tighter than the old one. I can move it, but it is pretty snug; there is no way I'd try to spin it around without being concerned about damage.

The following users liked this post:
BillDJohnson (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BillDJohnson

My questions:

- Is replacing the sunroof seal pretty easy, and where is the best place to get a new seal?
- I wondered, ever since I bought the Jag about 3 weeks ago, why I can lift up on the hood ornament and then lock it into place exactly backward. Maybe a silly question: is this so that car washes won't "hook" onto it accidentally, or is there some other reason why you would ever want to turn it around?
- Yes
- Check the drains first, clean them out. If not the seal isn't that bad of a job
- Yes, flip it around if you HAVE to do a automatic car wash (I have used them out of town and for a last minute touch up)

Last edited by Probesport; 06-20-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are thinking of replacing the hood ornament Ebay has it for $68.88 with free shipping.

Jaguar Hood Ornament New Steel 1998 1999 2000 2001 XJ8 | eBay

Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=BillDJohnson;756939]I took my XJ8 through an automatic car wash

My questions:

What were you thinking?!.....LOL Allan

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by pod184
The loose leaper is a bit concerning. They are spring loaded and made to break away in case of accident or theft (as to not damage the bonnet/hood). There is a cable on the bottom of the leaper itself, which goes thru a spring and finally a crimped connector that holds the assembly together. It is possible that the cable is pulling thru the crimp making it overly loose.

I had to replace my leaper after it was stolen last summer. The new one is much tighter than the old one. I can move it, but it is pretty snug; there is no way I'd try to spin it around without being concerned about damage.
Thanks pod184. Just to clarify, the leaper is not loose (at least I don't consider it loose.) I have to pull up fairly hard to move it. When I am pulling up on it, I can then turn it to face the rear and let it set into the holes. I probably should have done that before entering the wash, which likely snagged on it, pulling it out enough to turn it.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

All my cars go to to the car wash - more in the winter time to remove any salt and spring -- with the birds.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. These car washes are the perfect place to scratch the paint'
Dave

Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Usually, leaks here are indicative of plugged drains at the rear of both sides of the sunroof compartment... time to 'roto-root' them.
Thanks, QuadManiac. I haven't looked yet, but will I be looking for a gutter strip, or some holes? Also, will I access/see the drain from outside the car with the sunroof open, or inside with it open/closed?