XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Yet Another Lowering/Alignment/Tramline Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet Another Lowering/Alignment/Tramline Thread

I've read all that there is to read on lowering these cars, but I'm still not satisfied.

I want to lower my '99 XJR a bit and am leaning toward Mina Gallery springs. I've read all the warnings, but I guess I'm a hardhead because I want to do it anyway. So...

1) Is there any "right way" to do this and have a good result?

2) Is camber adjustable in my car. I've read that it isn't in the X300s.

3) I've read a little about adjusting camber beyond the normal limits with shims and/or eccentric fulcrum bolts. Does anyone have enough understanding of these things to explain them to me? Will they work to align the car after it is lowered?

3) Assuming the front suspension can be brought into spec, will the rear suspension also be a problem to align correctly? What will it need?

4) My car tramlines like a mother. I'm assuming from past experience that it is a combination of alignment and tires. I haven't checked my control arm bushings yet, but I suspect the previous owner didn't either. Are there better options for these bushings? Aftermarket support? Control arm bushings every 30,000 miles seems ridiculous.

I have a beautiful new set of tires sitting in the garage...waiting. I'd like to do all of this work at one time, mount the new tires, install the springs and bushings, align the car and be done with it. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bigcat; 05-06-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I have a lowered '99 XJR and have not had issues with rubbing. This is also with 19 x 8.5 wheels in front and 19 x 10 in the rears. Getting the car into alignment wasn't an issue but the shop did have to use shims in the rear.

The only caveat in my opinion is that the shocks must be up to the task of the increased spring rate and decreased travel rate. Stock shocks will not cut it. Shocks specifically valved for the springs should be used. I had my original shocks rebuilt with higher compression and rebound rates by Bilstein in Poway, CA. If you run stock shocks with lowering springs, I think you will be very disappointed and rubbing from excessive spring travel might become an issue.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply. I saw, and responded to, the pictures of your car in the other thread. It looks perfect to me. I'm running 18x8.5s all the way around so rubbing shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'd still like to read the answers to my other questions. I'm a little dissapointed that some guys who seem to be very well versed in these cars haven't piped up.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HI

yes you can adjust camber and caster in the front of your car. the adjustment is carried out whith excentric bolts so there are no use for chims in the front.

After you have lowered your car you won´t be able to adjust it after the factory settings in the front whithout som serious modification the camber will sitt att about at least 2 degres after lowering the car 35 mm.

The rear camber i s adjusted whith schims betwen the diferntial and driveshafts no easy job to adjust but possible to perform

My car is lowered 40 mm in the front and 35 mm in the rear i have stock dampers "CATS" and i have also changed upper/lower whisbone bushes to polyrethane ones. the car hadles like a beauty and i have find out my own sepc´s that work good for me on the allignment. and so should any good workshop manege to do for you aswell

So is it possible to lower the car YES will it affect the handling YES

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW....the roads you drive on must be waaay better than New York....wouldn't dare lower and firm up my XJR here...guaranteed ruined tires and rims! Actually, the roads in Botswana are better built and maintained than here!