XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Your collective opinions are appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

go on the hunt for another VDP but find one that is black, dont worry about the colour of the interior, as you will just swap it out for your mint ivory interior from the current VDP, once you get that all sorted, you will sell the old faded Topaz with the Oatmeal, or Ebony interior from the new black VDP, and have no need to look back as you have just created the car you been searching for!!! and then if you want, transform it into a Super V8!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
@Dan, good call. Try and find someone with a quality paint scheme, ask them what they use. Valspar are good for example. If they do work for dealerships that's a good sign. It sounds like you get emotionally attached to cars, naming them is a giveaway. Nothing wrong with that, I like to think most Jag owners do that. My Dad's MKII is called 'Old Annie' - and it goes like a scalded cat
Yes, definite emotional attachment. It wouldn't be if I don't work on my cars. The sweat, the stripped knuckles, cussing, calling it names,......it all adds to the relationship to the machinery. Just yesterday I was changing plugs on Tabby, and noticed a coolant leak. Previous owner was too cheap to buy a $27 part, and monkeyed a rubber hose under the plastic cover (so I didn't see it right away). I am talking about the coolant line from the reservoir to the thermostat housing. The line broke at the "quick disconnect", and he put a piece of rubber hose, and clamped it in. The hose was straight of course (not formed in 90 degree angle), and in order to make it turn (the original comes to the reservoir at 90 deegrees), he rigged it up with a zip tie! Of course the hose had a big kink, and leaked on both sides of the "fix".

Wife reported seeing "low coolant" mesage, and I went investigating. I was cussing like a sailor, when I saw the "repair". Then as I was changing plugs (and being short on time), my spark plug wrench decided to leave it's "rubber guts" on one of the new plugs. I didn't notice until I tried to put the coil back. It wouldn't go! I called the car every name in the book (the British POS comes to mind!). Looking in the hole I didn;t see anything unusual. So I tried to remove the next plug, and the wrench didn't want pick it up after it was loose. Then I looked at the wrench, and saw that I am missing the inner rubber. Since it was not on the floor,......I found the rubber in the #2 on the B bank! It took another 15 minutes to fish that out with a long needle and the hook.........
I apologized to the car for cussing at it!

Back in a day (mid 90s) when I owned the dealerships, all the cars were just "metal", and we pushed a lot of it. No attachment at all. I even name my guns, and my favorite sniper rifle is called "Betsy".

Back in 2000, I had my XJS repainted. Stripped and repainted by a shop that does the show cars. It was not the color change (midnight blue), but the car was stripped down to the bare shell, and down to the metal. Expensive, but the paint was WAY better than the car came with from the factory. And nobody could tell that it was done. All the rubber seals, and chrome was replaced at the same time. They worked on that car for a month or more.

Too much sweat and backache went into the Topaz VDP to sell it at this point. I could get maybe 5K for it. It's worth (TO ME) way more than that, and I feel like the car is a "special need child" that needs my care to live a long and happy life. It stays.

I appreciate all comments. It really doesn't make sense to spend 7K to paint a 5K car. Maybe in the future when it's about 30 years old, and another one is imposible to find.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

danielsand, just replying to your comment from another thread where i incorrectly posted about my lights.

Modification is a good thing as otherwise we'd all be driving the same box. I break down my mods into two categories, mechanical and cosmetic. Mechanical mods to me are more important, but they are very costly especially on the X308 SC. I'm not very concerned about reversibility when it comes to mechanical mods. Cosmetic mods are of less importance, but I want them to be "reversible".

That is why I purchased the RealGauge ahead of experimenting with lighting. Both of these mods are an easy install. You are correct that X308s are as perfect as they come, and I will second that especially the Rs. That is why I prefer to approach my mods more gradually, sort of reaching the right moment (which is when I find the right part at the right price). With my Alfa Spider I concentrate more on the mechanical side limiting the cosmetics to restoration only. However, as I noted in the other thread I do respect your opinion and the time you took to elaborate on it.

Having said all that, I have an opinion pertinent to the this thread. Many of us here have owned a number of cars in our lifetimes. I, for example cut my teeth on a 68 1602. From body, paint and interior resto to swapping engines, headers, re-jetting the ol' Solex. I got to the point where I reached a point of emotional gratification and ended up selling the Bimmer to move onto the next car. Although I would have loved to have that 1602 in my garage right NOW, I'm more satisfied with having experienced all other cars I've had that came after that one.My philosophy continues on today. As I'm writing this I am getting my 79 Spider ready for sale so as to make room for a 73 S2 that I've recently found but not yet acquired.

One thing I don't like to do is criticize my "inventory" and then continue holding onto it. It's like making an excuse for dating an ugly chick - yeah, she's a little weak in the "looks" department but man, she has a nice personality and we've been together for year now.

Since you don't have a financial barrier, then just buy the Supercharged VDP (the one that recently popped up at the dealer seemed to be a very nice example) or an XJR in the color combo you like. Your yearning for these cars is obvious. Sounds like you are in a good position, as you have one you can drive while looking for the one you really want!