XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Remote keyless entry fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leaper position on XJ40

red_101au

I have as you will see, attached some photos of the jaguar symbol as to its position on my bonnet. Not everyone agrees to that position as there was a very stupid campaign about the damage it could cause if you hit a ped'.

In my opinion, the further back they are positioned, the more ridiculous they look. You will see the base plate. You will also see the chrome square emblem in the (centre of) the chrome grill surround.

1. Place base plate on bonnet so that the back of the plate is 145mm from the top of the chrome emblem (obviously in the centre of the bonnet mound)

2. using black textra, mark position.

3. this position should have the head of the Jaguar 50/55 mm from the bottom of the chrome square.

4. double check to ensure that the Leaper clears the chrome emblem & chrome grill surround when opening bonnet fully.

5 Do not blame me for any errors.

Michael Prichard
Melbourne Aus

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-img_3361.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3360.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-img_3356.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks again Michael, I kinda had a rough idea where they emblem should go... but wanted to know exactly.....
However that does sound a little forward to what you usually see.
I tend to agree, some of them really do look like they are too far back.
I really want to get it right, don't want to be drilling filling and re-drilling lol

Of course you would not be held responsible hehehe
There is only one person responsible if I am going to drill holes in my lady.....

Last edited by red_101au; 03-24-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

HI All,

I created a thread this evening in regards to re-creating the fob casings:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...16/#post939443

hoping to expand our net and get the attention of someone who has access to a 3D printer and scanner. Hope we get something... ya never know..

Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michael prichard
red_101au

I have as you will see, attached some photos of the jaguar symbol as to its position on my bonnet. Not everyone agrees to that position as there was a very stupid campaign about the damage it could cause if you hit a ped'.

In my opinion, the further back they are positioned, the more ridiculous they look. You will see the base plate. You will also see the chrome square emblem in the (centre of) the chrome grill surround.

1. Place base plate on bonnet so that the back of the plate is 145mm from the top of the chrome emblem (obviously in the centre of the bonnet mound)

2. using black textra, mark position.

3. this position should have the head of the Jaguar 50/55 mm from the bottom of the chrome square.

4. double check to ensure that the Leaper clears the chrome emblem & chrome grill surround when opening bonnet fully.

5 Do not blame me for any errors.

Michael Prichard
Melbourne Aus
Looks great... My car came with the leaper installed.. I wish it was not on the car. The hood does not open all the way, as the cat hits the square. also the hood seems dented in flat were the leaper is installed.

Back on topic, does anyone know of any other 3D printers in their area that we might be able to use sooner?

Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 PM

Red,

Just for you, I'm going to remove my leaper in the morning and measure the hole center(s). I have no issue with mine hitting the chrome grill area and no denting or flat area that K referenced.

I'll take some pics with it on next to a tape measure and off. Mind you, I don't have a metric measure tool, so you'll have to convert.

Originally Posted by red_101au
However that does sound a little forward to what you usually see. I tend to agree, some of them really do look like they are too far back. I really want to get it right, don't want to be drilling filling and re-drilling lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Evenson:
Cinny65 (06-02-2014), KC7stw (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson

I'll take some pics with it on next to a tape measure and off. Mind you, I don't have a metric measure tool, so you'll have to convert.

Maybe i might get lucky and have a chance to move mine a bit without to much damage... I doubt it tho.

I can open the hood pretty far.. But not sure if it is all the way open, or if its just going farther then it should... Since the little gas shocks are not stock.

maybe they are to long?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I know a bloke on the Gold Coast with a 3D printer who does prints for ca$h.

The trick will be the 3D scanning, there are a few companies who offer this service, no idea what it costs though...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
The trick will be the 3D scanning, there are a few companies who offer this service, no idea what it costs though...
Aye, there's the rub!

3d printing is no prob and inexpensive - but - as I mentioned earlier, getting the CAD file to feed to the device, i.e. by scanning or (preferably) drawing ...that's the big $ issue.

What about picking up a generic fob large enough for the board/ battery and swapping the guts over?

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-25-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by KC7stw
Looks great... My car came with the leaper installed.. I wish it was not on the car. The hood does not open all the way, as the cat hits the square. also the hood seems dented in flat were the leaper is installed.
Exactly what I was worried about and why I wanted exact mounting positions...
I could see by the way the bonnet opens that if you place it too far forward it will hit or catch on the grille area....

I had noticed they are mounted a fair way back and knew this to be the reason.

Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 AM

As far as the fobs are concerned....
The units Greykitty are providing do come with fob....
Ok it is not original but everything else for all intense and purpose will be.

The receiver board or unit will simply replace the I/R unit fitted standard and the car will never even notice the change out.... it will still perform exactly as it did prior to changing....
as for the fob it will not be original but will still do the job and even has the extra programmable button that can be assigned to your garage opener.

I personally am happy just to have it all functioning, original fob would simply be a bonus..... not a necessity.

I would like to extend another big than kyou to Greykitty for his time and efforts

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Yes Thanks for the work on this.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Had a bit of a delay on getting to removing and measuring the leaper. Our house pet got terribly ill this morning and had to rush him off to the veterinarian and pick him up this afternoon, try again tomorrow.

Red,

Just for you, I'm going to remove my leaper in the morning and measure the hole center(s). I have no issue with mine hitting the chrome grill area and no denting or flat area that K referenced.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! This turned into some thread! I just put a new leaper on the hood of my car. I went with the larger 7 inch one, instead of the 5 inch that was already on the car.

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-get-attachment34.jpg  
Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM

Had a bit of a delay on getting to removing and measuring the leaper. Our house pet got terribly ill this morning and had to rush him off to the veterinarian and pick him up this afternoon, try again tomorrow.
No problem Rob...
Sorry to hear about your pet.... I do hope he will be ok
and that it is not too serious.
I do know how important our pets are.... they are another family member, usually thought of as one of the kids

My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery to him.

Rob Evenson (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM

wow.... we seem to have drifted off topic a little
but a great response from everyone lol.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM

I added a photo album today in regards to the leaper placement.....talk about off topic.... any way, followed through on my commitment to RED.

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Rob Evenson's Album: Placement of Leaper (aka Hood Ornament)

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-p3260077.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Someday I'm going to figure out how to add pics in the manner I want. The album reduces the photos, so my editing of measurements are hard to read, so I'll attach them here. Not all of them though...

click on the pics and they should enlarge to see the edit for measurements. The pic with the single green line indicates from where I took the measurement back to the leaper and hole.

Attached Thumbnails Remote keyless entry fob-p3260076e.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-p3260079e.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-p3260083e.jpg   Remote keyless entry fob-p3260086e.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Evenson:
Cinny65 (06-02-2014), red_101au (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM

great job Rob...... I am very appreciative to you for taking the time to remove your emblem and measure out all the specs for me (us).
I have a perfectly clear understanding of exactly where to mount the leaper now.

Thank you

Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Red,

After all of these years I never noticed my leaper is not perfectly centered. If you look at the pic with both the leaper and growler badge; find the center of the badge and follow up.... the leaper holes are off to the right by about an 1/8".

If you have the badge, use it to center the leaper. BTW, have someone tighten the nuts so you can watch the bonnet metal for bowing...don't over-tighten those nuts!

Originally Posted by red_101au
great job Rob...... I am very appreciative to you for taking the time to remove your emblem and measure out all the specs for me (us).
I have a perfectly clear understanding of exactly where to mount the leaper now.

Thank you

Cinny65 (06-02-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Actually.... funny you should mention about it not being perfectly centred...
I meant to mention something about that before but forgot,
I noticed when looking under the hood that the centre reinforcement beam is not central on mine.... and I assume it is the same through all these models.

It is infact slightly offset, that maybe the reason why the leaper is not perfectly centred. (just a thought)

When I got the emblem for her I did have a quick look trying to determine if there was an area that was designed to cater to the cat, and that's how/when I noticed this.

Quick Reply: Remote keyless entry fob