XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1988 jaguar xj6 Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 jaguar xj6 Will not start

Will fire with starting fluid, but does not seem to pick up fuel which I assume narrows it down to fuel supply. Can someone tell me where the fuel pump is located and how to test / proceed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Default xj6 Will not start (additional)

I've been reading about checking both the main and fuel pump relays as well. Still trying to locate both..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

You might want to check this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26023

Ignore the posts about the fuel pump being inside the tank, that's on later models.
Good info starts about post #11.

The thread concerns a 1990 model. The info on the fuel pump location should be correct for your car.
Your fuel pump relay should be on the left-hand side of the big aluminum brake pedal hanger on the firewall. Easy to get to and very visible when you open the hood.

If it's not there, look under the dash as per the info in the above thread.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Default Thanks Retro

Found the fuel pump on the frame rail, and the relay is under the glove box.
Gave it another try with starting fluid and it tries to run. Now I'm trying to figure out how to check for fuel at the rail. A few posts mention a schrader valve on the rail but I cannot seem to find one.

I appreciate your help on this.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM

Hey ... no problem!
We're all sorta fightin' the same battle ....

On my '90 model, there isn't a schrader valve (or at least none that I've been able to find!)
My car has two fittings on the fuel rail, one at the entry (back side), and one at the front side ... leading into some sort of valve / unknown nefarious device. They are large fittings, both requiring a 19mm wrench and the rearmost also a 17mm to hold things steady.
I would CAREFULLY crack or loosen one of those fittings, place some rags to catch any escaping fuel, then momentarily turn the ignition switch on to check for fuel flow.
PLEASE be careful and engage full common sense mode whilst doing this!
Good luck .....!!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Default More info...

I tried the fuel rail test. Opened the line at the inlet and there was barely a drop of fuel that came out. Tried the key and no fuel delivery. Next step is to check for power at the fuel pump itself. Looks like a lot of fun to get to...

I also found what appears to be a missing vacuumn line (photo attached). Trying to track down what the module is, and where the missing vac. line might run to.

Thanks again for your help...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Here's a little info I've gleaned, along with a couple pics I just took that might ease your way a little.
Keep in mind that I'm a complete newby to working on a Jaguar, so take anything I say with a lot of salt!
Also the fact that my car is a '90 model, so may differ from yours.

1. Relays:
If you get to looking at the various relays, you'll note that a lot of them are samey-samey. I'm pretty sure they have the same values based on their color. They are numbered on the side so it's easy to check
So if you suspect one of your relays, maybe pull one out of another spot (like maybe the Automatic Tea Warmer / Laser Windscreen Wiper socket!) and swap them out.

2. There is a fuel pump electrical connector under the rear seat bottom cushion, just inside the left rear door. Two bolts on the front of the seat cushion allow it to be removed. Fold back the carpet and insulation and you should see something like this:

Name:  DCP_4637.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  39.3 KB

That will give you another place to check for power without actually fooling with the pump itself.

3. Removing the left rear wheel will (almost!) allow you to see the fuel pump. It's on a circular bracket bolted atop the left rear suspension arm:

Name:  DCP_4639.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  30.5 KB

If you happen to be a double-jointed midget, messing with the pump will be a piece of cake. Otherwise, plan on spending some time arranging all the curse words you know in new and marvelous ways!

According to my Haynes manual, loosening the clamping bolt on the bracket will allow the pump to be slid out of it's rubber insulator sleeve. If you can reach that bolt, it may work that way.
I just removed the two nuts holding the bracket to the suspension arm and removed the whole works. It's still a PITA, but it's doable.

Good luck .... keep us posted!