XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 Daimler joined the family

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 12:18 AM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 1990 Daimler joined the family

Hello

I work in the construction industry, which means redundancy is a fact of life when work comes to an end. Last time I was given notice, I purchased a cheap XJS in Perth (other side of Oz) with my brother and his mate giving it the once over for me - so sight unseen for my eyes. So that became my hobby for quite a while.

I am again facing redundancy, and have been looking around for another cat playmate for the XJS, when I saw the add - 1990 Daimler, suitable for parts, and I was again very interested.
Looking at the photo's, front bumper was damaged, paint lifting (clear coat), rust around the filler cap, rust in the boot lid, under the bonnet looked complete, interior looked reasonable.
It was via text messages conversation only, as we had a bit of a language barrier, but the car was a non goer with potential old fuel in the system (? hopefully all that is wrong), but all electrics work (sceptical), jag tool kit in the boot.

So I did the only sensible thing and purchased it sight unseen.

Mate had to go to Brisbane last week, and he brought it home (to his workshop anyway) today, and I could not be happier. I have another project. As well as the front bumper being damaged, the rear bumper is also damaged, there is a scrape on the left hand side doors that I did not see in the photo's (as no photo of that side was taken), interior is in reasonable condition, passenger seat is a bit damaged, but mainly everything needs a clean and condition. Head liner is in good condition (which surprised me). Apart from the above mentioned rust, does not appear to be too much more.

Photo's of my new toy

Yes - that is oil on the truck bed, underneath the motor

Two doors have been scrapped by something, everything else is straight, bit of rust in the boot lid

Bumper damage - the other bit was put in the cab for transport

Front bumper damage

Engine bay looks unmolested

Interior, the veneer is cracked, dash has some minor cracks, leather is dry

Another shot of the front interior

The ugly, rust around the fuel filler area

Bonnet paint is faded

So know I will have my sports car (XJS) and my luxury car. 1st thing to do when I have time, is to see if she goes

Cheers
Steve

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-14-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,160 Likes on 815 Posts

Welcome. I'd consider it a major win if I could find an xj40 Daimler here in the US. It looks like it has some life left in it to someone who will try a few things to make it go. Good job saving it, I hope it works out for you.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:20 AM

So - had a bit of a play, fuel pump is defective, but engine runs on aerostart, so timing and spark (and computer) is good.
Fuel tank removed and fuel pump proven to be defective.

Presuming the part number is Jaguar XJ40 immersed fuel pump EBC11365
But since I do not have any manuals just yet, wondering if someone could confirm

Cheers
Steve

Old 04-11-2022, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

There is an "aftermarket pump" that may actually be the right pump in disguise. It's a Walbro brand and I use one myself in my 92. It's is relatively cheap too. I paid between $50 and $60. If you search this area I think you should find at least a couple of threads on the subject including the Jaguar part #. Sadly I do not have that info at my fingertips.

Don B (04-14-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
There is an "aftermarket pump" that may actually be the right pump in disguise. It's a Walbro brand and I use one myself in my 92. It's is relatively cheap too. I paid between $50 and $60. If you search this area I think you should find at least a couple of threads on the subject including the Jaguar part #. Sadly I do not have that info at my fingertips.
As Jerry says, there are many "after-market" brands of the fuel pump, airtex, bosch, walbro etc.
ALL of them, including the original OEM Jaguar pump are actually Walbro units, re-branded and sold under proprietary names. Buy the cheapest silver coloured one, they are all the same. I installed an Airtex brand several years ago and it had the word "walbro" engraved on the side.

Larry

Don B (04-14-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Bez74
..... the rear bumper is also damaged .....

Bumper damage - the other bit was put in the cab for transport

That's looks familar damage. I was sitting in stationary traffic at a motorway exit and was rammed. The driver said "I was reading your number plate and didn't brake in time" ......

...... looks like she emigrated to Australia.

Good luck with your latest project.

Graham

Old 04-12-2022, 04:36 AM

Hello Jerry - Found your posts and had a read
Hello Larry - Found myself various pricing - went for the cheapest.
After a bit more playing, fuel canister came apart and the fuel pump pulled from it. Has the part number Walbro 5CA400. So now I just have to wait for it to be delivered.(due early May)

Fuel Canister (surge tank)

Old fuel pump

Condition under the fuel tank, very pleased

Fuel tank is in good condition as well

I was expecting rust in the boot area, considering the rust evident near the fuel filler cap (below). but I haven't really seen anything that has me concerned at the moment. Reading some other post (last year) about a similar year model with rust in the same place. Rust doesn't seem to be in the guard or the boot lid, only in this part, any idea why it would be so bad?

Hello Graham
When my mate picked her up, that section of the bumper was still (more or less attached). He removed it before he left and placed it in the cab for me. Since yours looked identical to mine, do they reattach?

Cheers
Steve

Lawrence (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

On my 94, that piece is attached to the main bumper by sheet metal screws. It came to me that way. But I have replaced the front end clip as it was missing completely. I think originally it has machine screws which are accessed from the inside of the main beam or through that marker light. It has a rebuild title and appears to have had its entire right side repaired.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Good time to rebuild the area around the filler cap. With the tank and associated fumes out of the way probably the perfect time lol!

cheers

Larry

Don B (04-14-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent idea Larry!

Old 04-15-2022, 09:58 PM

Hello
Back left hand tire decided to go to sleep (delaminated), and the spare tire has 2 holes in the side wall, so the spare from the XJS has been placed on her so we can move her around as required. Jaguar jacking points and equipment works really well, just need to put the correct size allen key into the toolkit to remove the centre section for next time.

With the back tire off, had a quick look around, looks a bit unloved under there, but didn't see anything major again, just needs a big clean up.

Rust in the filler cap, boot floor and boot lid will be the next to look at, just so it can pass roadworthy structurally wise. Fuel tank will go back in afterwards

Needed new tires anyway

Compared to what my XJS was like, this is in suburb condition

She has been sitting for a while

Cheers
Steve

Old 04-24-2022, 08:46 PM

Hello

Just reading up on the VIN number of my car - and I seem to have a strange number
According to the below web sites, it details what the various numbers and letters mean

Jaguar and Daimler XJ40 (and XJ81) all variants 1986 to 1994

xclusively jaguar

My 11th digit is a "T", which is not on the list, the email at the end of the page is no longer current.

"SAJDKALD3AT_____"

No books came with the car - so I have zero history on her except when the air con changed it's gas (2009) and coolant (in 2011), (stickers with dates around the engine bay)

Can anyone assist what a T stands for.
When I plug the full VIN number into other websites - it comes up as a S model (2010), so I am a little confused

Cheers
Steve

Old 05-14-2022, 03:15 AM

Found this clip on U-tube which explains why these rust around the filler cap (approx 7.40 in).Moisture can accumulate under the rear seal. And when the rear seal fails - you will get rust here.

The rear window was coming out for the rust repair anyway, but at least I understand how the rust mechanism worked so I can prevent it happening again

Cheers
Steve