XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 Sovereign stalls in gear at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1990 Sovereign stalls in gear at stop lights

When driving the car at a steady speed, there is no problem. It runs fine. But when I come to a full stop at a stop sign or traffic light, the idle lowers until the engine stalls. A mechanic told me to clean out the IAC which I did. I actually pulled one from my parts car and cleaned it with a tooth brush and carburetor cleaner. That didn't make a difference.

A few days ago, the car would not start at all. The starter would turn the engine over but it wouldn't start. Another mechanic told me it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump. So, I replaced both of those. The problem still exists. So when I drive the car, I have to put the transmission in neutral at every stop to make sure the engine doesn't die.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be?

I have owned this car since June 2012. It has 157,000 miles and needs some TLC. Among other things, the shifter cable is frayed and doesn't quite line up with where it should be. So, I have to start the car in neutral and the back up lights stay lit when the car is in drive. I don't know if that has anything to do with the stalling but thought I would mention it.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,934 Posts

I have seen the torque converter lock up and stall the engine due to a low fluid level.

Here is a TSB for a related torque converter lock-up stall.

If it is a fuel/air/sensor engine stall then you will have to do some more diagnostics.

bob gauff

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
andyrupert-com (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Default Exactly Right!

On the way home, the transmission went into limp home mode. I wasn't sure why but pulled over and didn't see any visible leaks. After I got home, I checked the fluid level and found it a bit low. So, I improvised a funnel out of a cardboard Raisin Bran box and added a whole quart of fluid! (This was after having the trans. fluid and filter changed last month.) And now it doesn't stall in drive ... just as you suggested. Hurrah!

Any idea how to get it out of Limp Home mode?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Andy:
Did you check the trans fluid level a) when it was warm b) when the car was running and c) after running the shifter through the gears? If not, the dipstick would have registered as 'low'; and you may have put too much fluid in!

To clear the trans fault, disconnect the negative battery terminal for a short while. If there is still a problem, it will re-register after you start the car. Otherwise you should be fine.

Scott

Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Default Yes

I did check the transmission when it was hot and had just been moved. Having the extra transmission fluid in the car has made a big difference. It actually shifts fairly smoothly now. The tube for adding fluid can be moved back and forth in the engine bay, so I will check to see if it is leaking where it connects to the transmission itself. We shall see.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like your converter clutch was staying on at stops. usually this is a bad converter clutch solinoid. I don't know why low fluid would cause it. I have the same identical car as yours and mine goes into limp in anytime it wants to for no reason that I can find. my trans works perfectly when not in limp in and Cycling the ign always clears it for a little while. It has a trans decoder module and a trans ECU. I am trying to locate those items and I need to know how to read trans codes. Any help would be apreciated. I am a retired trans tech for ford so I know what is going on I just need to know more about the electronics part

Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Bill:
You are far more knowledgeable about such things than I am with your experience, but... What I can add to the conversation is that it seems as if these things are almost never due to the mechanics of the transmission - which is a notoriously robust and reliable unit. It's almost always an electrical or other fault associated with the mechanics. Anecdotally, I have read time and again that a dirty or flaky Throttle Position Sensor is the cause for many a limp-mode. Due their position under the throttle body, they get dirty and clogged with goo over time. If it's not working within range, it theoretically should trip its own code, but does't always. Here is the helpful check-list that somebody put together from the XJ40 Ebook over at the J-L website:

Jag-lovers' Ebooks

See what you make of things and let us know how it goes!
Scott

Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine slowing down at stop sign

Have the same issue only at night time driving. during daytime when no lights are on, the cat runs well. When I have the limp mode experience, I did replace the TPS, clean the throttle and it runs well from there on.

Keep me posted if you resolve this issue.