XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 XJ40 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 XJ40 Engine Swap

My wife just totalled her 2000 Navigator, and wants to upgrade vehicles, thus leaving the 5.4L Triton available for perhaps some fun modding.

I see quite a bit of information in regards to swapping the XJ40 Engine with a chevy block ( see Jaguar Specialties, etc.)

I have google'd myself mad.... does anyone have any links or information in regards to such?

Thanks,

Old 02-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Series I-II-III conversions can be done with chevy engines but XJ40's engine quite reliable . Swapping is not easy at all .

Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Default xj6 4.0

Originally Posted by Plum
My wife just totalled her 2000 Navigator, and wants to upgrade vehicles, thus leaving the 5.4L Triton available for perhaps some fun modding.

I see quite a bit of information in regards to swapping the XJ40 Engine with a chevy block ( see Jaguar Specialties, etc.)

I have google'd myself mad.... does anyone have any links or information in regards to such?

Thanks,
xj6 engine 4.0 for sale 954 298 5602
domsum29@hotmail.com

Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Cadillac,

Thank you for the response - Any modifications I can make to the 4.0 engine to gain performance (of course, that you would recommend).

Dimsum,

Will let you know if engine is needed - thank you.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Plum. Before considering performance mods, remember that you have a 20 year old engine and you would only consider expensive improvements to an engine in tip top condition. Which at 20 years old, it won't be.

You should make sure that all the engine ancillaries are up to scratch. Plugs, leads, coil, distributer cap+ rotor, free flow air filter, timming chain tensionners spot on, oil + filter change, clean/recalibrate/replace injectors, new fuel filter, clean and flush fuel tanks and lines. These are all service items and will make a difference to a badly running engine.

A company called AJ6 Engineering used to do some mods for this engine, but you need to carefully consider what it is you are hoping to acheive. Any money you spend should be considered as 'dead money' because at the end of the day our cars are pretty worthless, example someone phoned me the other day to offer me a 94 XJ for the equivalent of about 900$ and it sounded as though it was better than my 92.

You might find some info about fitting your Chevy lump into the car here , obviously I know nothing about them or fitting Chevy engines into any car, we don't historically have that engine over here.

If it is a performance Jag that you are after, then I would suggest selling your XJ40 together with whatever you can get for the crashed vehicle, and then putting the cash towards an XJR.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but that's the reality.

My daily driver XJ40 will most likely become parted out at the end of its driving life because as a running car it has no value;-((

All the best,

Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Plum
Cadillac,

Thank you for the response - Any modifications I can make to the 4.0 engine to gain performance (of course, that you would recommend).

Dimsum,

Will let you know if engine is needed - thank you.
chip, headers , exhaust, maf (air flow meter)

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
Hi Plum. Before considering performance mods, remember that you have a 20 year old engine and you would only consider expensive improvements to an engine in tip top condition. Which at 20 years old, it won't be.

You should make sure that all the engine ancillaries are up to scratch. Plugs, leads, coil, distributer cap+ rotor, free flow air filter, timming chain tensionners spot on, oil + filter change, clean/recalibrate/replace injectors, new fuel filter, clean and flush fuel tanks and lines. These are all service items and will make a difference to a badly running engine.

A company called AJ6 Engineering used to do some mods for this engine, but you need to carefully consider what it is you are hoping to acheive. Any money you spend should be considered as 'dead money' because at the end of the day our cars are pretty worthless, example someone phoned me the other day to offer me a 94 XJ for the equivalent of about 900$ and it sounded as though it was better than my 92.

You might find some info about fitting your Chevy lump into the car here , obviously I know nothing about them or fitting Chevy engines into any car, we don't historically have that engine over here.

If it is a performance Jag that you are after, then I would suggest selling your XJ40 together with whatever you can get for the crashed vehicle, and then putting the cash towards an XJR.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but that's the reality.

My daily driver XJ40 will most likely become parted out at the end of its driving life because as a running car it has no value;-((

All the best,
Very much appreciate the advice - and think you are most likely bang on. I wanted a Supercharged Jag, as neither of my S-Type or XJ40 are not. Instead of adding another Jag to the lot I thought I would perhaps attempt to "spruce" up the old xj40....

Oh well - life is tough... Just will need to buy an Supercharged model.

tough part is selling the wife.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

If I can't go for horsepower - how complicated might it be to get a diesel engine into there?

I see in europe that I could purchase a Jaguar Diesel engine if this would make it easier.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM

might anyone recommend a book or a link in regards to fitting a diesel into my xj40?

Much appreciated.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chevy V8 Conversion for 88-94 XJ40's

FYI- The Chevy V8 conversion for the 88-94 XJ4- sedans is actually easier than on the earlier models. Jaguar's updated platform here makes the interface between the new engine and the car much more convenient, and the cars respond very well to the V8's power and greater torque. The conversion is for the most part a bolt-in with no real mods required to the car or engine....

From a cost side, the better performance of the V8 is easily less expensive than the prospect of hot rodding the original 3.6 or 4.0 Jag engine. Also, it is doubtful the original ZF transmissions would handle any real added power from the AJ6 (which is probably why all of the supercharged Jag 6's had beefier GM based transmissions behind them).

If you're looking for performance from your XJ40, this is a good way to go. Have a look:

http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XJ40-V8.asp

and

http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/XJ12-P1.asp

That 94 XJ12 sported 325 hp and still got well over 20 mpg . You may say, well the 94 XJ12 with a V12 had 305 hp, so what's the difference? The difference in this case was that the Chevy LT1 V8 weighed 320 lbs LESS than the V12 it replaced, so you can imagine the performance gain just from that savings alone....

Anyway, we're not looking to convince anyone to do something they're not comfortable with, just be aware of the options............

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Very much apprecaited. I have some reading ahead of me.

Thank you again.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised no-one's mentioned Rob Beere. Of course that's an expensive route but ridiculous numbers of horses..

Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Without sounding a little pessimistic, but often changing engines, especially a different make, can be expensive, and things attatched to such an engine can fail because they are not all matched to each other. I had an old series 1-Toyota 4runner, it had the 2.0lt engine and a 5 speed manual, I bought a bell housing to fit a Holden 4.2lt engine into the car, the gearbox failed after a few months, and I was not pleased by the performance, so be sure you have some idea about the power you are looking for. Long story/short I ended up rebuilding a 5.7lt Holden stroker engine coupled to a 4L60E transmission, and a modified transfer case. Now I had the power I wanted, but it was a very expensive operation. (Would I do it again?) Hell yeah! I too am considering a change in the engine in my XJ40, however being the older 1988 model it was built with the mindset of stopping an alloy V8 available at the time from being used, so for me I am trying to work out if I want to use the supercharged 4.0lt 6 cylinder, or even concider using the 4.0 V8 engine, my mind is made up this time to use the same brand of engine as the car this time around, one of the lessons I learned is putting an engine into an engine bay from another manufacturer, means a lot of things to make the instruments work as they should in a vehicle never meant to be whatever you have decided to put there. The other lesson I learned is anything taken from a different manufacturer may change the way the instrumentation is suppose to work, you see how much work your engine does to acheive a set speed in the donor car, what the ratio is for the final drive, then take into calculation about your diff ratio along with your tyre's O/D, but be warned it will cost you quite a bit more than you may have bargained for.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:49 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I do agree, it’s best to sell that car and buy a supercharged Jaguar instead.

but to answer the question, getting additional power, is really down to how much you want to spend. These cars are not easy or cheap to tune for big power.
In Europe we do have a number of Twin Turbo conversions, that were done on the 90s. Hugely expensive back them. But they did job of providing more power.
300bhp ish from the Janspeed 3.6, 340bhp Chasseur Stealth 4.0.
there was a 375bhp & 450BHP on the AJ16 version as well.

for your car though, I think possibly options are custom programmable ECU, EGR and Catalyst removable.
The advanced crank sensor bracket adds about 5% more power. Probably the cheapest off the shelf mod out there.

Fitting a manual conversion, is a good way of access more of the available power, even if it does not technically give more engine power.