XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1991 Vanden Plas Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1991 Vanden Plas Issues

Just got a nice 91 VP and I do have some issues that I need to attend to:
1: The climate control does not come on when the fan switch is turned on.
2: The turn signals work fine but they click slowly for 4 or 5 times then speed up. Is this normal?
3: My windshield wiper does not return to the park position when I shut it off.
4: Power seats don't move in all directions
5: Rear door lock solenoid don't unlock the doors

This is for starters. ANy suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Welcome aboard

The first suggestion would be to repost in the "XJ40" section where the members most familiar with your car can provide the best help.

This section if for the generation of sedans immediately preceding the model you have. The model identification nomenclature is a little tricky.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Don B (12-21-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up Doug, much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Default 91 Vanden Plas Electrical issues

Hello all, I have a 91 Vanden Plas and while working on the radio console area the other day I did something and now I get a Fuse 2 message on my VCM and my Clock, Turn Signals and Interior lights stopped working. I tested all the fuses in the Fuse 2 block and they all test fine for continuity but something is up and I can't figure it out. ANy help is deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2016, 01:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Miketucson
Just got a nice 91 VP and I do have some issues that I need to attend to ......
Welcome to the forum Miketucson,

I've moved your question from XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III to Xj40 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
93SB (01-21-2017), Don B (12-21-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Your turn signal problem seems like it may be a weak turn signal flasher or possibly the connection to it may need cleaning. If cleaning the socket or replacing the signal flasher doesn't solve it then I would start by replacing your turn signal bulbs and checking their sockets for corrosion . Although the bulb may work it may be loose in it's own socket. I remember reading that there is a separate part of the wiper motor that returns the system to park,so you might want to check into the wiper wiring for a bad connection. As for the seats,you may have a bad switch if it's only working in certain directions ,or it could be a bad motor within the seat itself. You need to test the connection at the seat while applying power at the switch,which may mean that you'll have to unbolt the seat to get to the connectors. If the seats haven't been used (electrically) for some time then the motor just might need a little persuasion. Just tap on the correct seat motor while operating the switch at the same time. Sometimes this will free it up. Also check to make sure you have no blown fuses within the three fuse boxes.

The following 2 users liked this post by 95Leaper:
Don B (12-22-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 13,136 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Hi Miketucson,

I have moved both of your posts into the same thread so we can consider all the issues together.

Off the top of my head, I believe there is an inline fuse somewhere in the wiring harnesses behind the radio, and that may be the one causing your FUSE 2 warning. See the Haynes manual for details. There is also a fuse box with 10 fuses in the center console under the arm rest - have you checked all those fuses? And both of the fuse boxes at the bases of the A-pillars?

Originally Posted by 95Leaper
Your turn signal problem seems like it may be a weak turn signal flasher or possibly the connection to it may need cleaning. If cleaning the socket or replacing the signal flasher doesn't solve it...
On most cars that would be great advice, but as far as I know, on an XJ40 there is no separate flasher and the the turn signal flashing function is handled by the Central Microprocessor or Central Processing Unit (CPU). A known issue is corrosion on the CPU electrical connectors and water ingress into the CPU due to clogged drains below the A/C evaporator that allow water to pool and slosh over onto the CPU when cornering.

Regarding the windshield wiper not parking, that is a very common issue also, and is usually the result of a failing park switch, which is a microswitch mounted in the wiper motor housing. I believe the XJ40 eBook at the Jag-Lovers forum describes how to clean or replace the switch. You may have to join the forum to view the eBook, but it's free to join (jag-lovers.org).

Regarding the climate control system, there are a number of possibilities, beginning with a blown fuse. A microswitch on the back of the control panel is known to fail, the speed control circuitry in the blower housings can fail, and the fans can corrode and seize. The Jag-Lovers XJ40 eBook has a lot of information that may be helpful.

The rear door locks may just need to have the linkages lubricated and adjusted, which is a very common issue. If that won't solve the problem, the small electric motors in the power actuators may need to be cleaned and lubricated or replaced.

+1 on 95Leaper's advice on the seat motors and switches.

You can download the U.K. edition of the Haynes XJ40 manual courtesy of the Jaguar Forums at the link below (a couple of chapters are missing but the rest is there):

https://www.mediafire.com/?hx8bttsy4kxxr

You can download the 1991 XJ40 Electrical Guide at the link below, courtesy of our forum member Gus:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-21-2016 at 10:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-26-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Just wanted to add that if your seats are like mine (94 model year) there are a couple of screws at the front of the seat - if you remove these, you can lift up and easily remove the seat squab which will then give you access to the motors and connectors ..no need to "unbolt" the seat!

Larry

The following 3 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (01-21-2017), Don B (12-22-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

There are TSBs for the climate control and wiper park problems.
A search of the forum for the documents will answer all your questions.
Gus has this info on his site as well.

Welcome to the forum.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
93SB (01-21-2017), Don B (12-22-2016), Miketucson (12-25-2016)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 PM

My suspicions regarding the loss of interior lighting, turn signals, clock and other items was correct. Somehow I managed to short out the body control module/microprocessor when I chafed a wire. That's what happens when you don't disconnect your battery! Anyway, I found a used microprocessor on EBay (matching numbers) for $32.95 and everything works again! Thanks to everyone who offered their input.

Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by Miketucson:
93SB (01-21-2017), Don B (01-18-2017)