XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1991 xj6 sovereign with 28000 kilometers on dash.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1991 xj6 sovereign with 28000 kilometers on dash.

I bought this 1991 xj6 sovereign on craigslist from a older gentlement that said his wife used it to go to the grocery store. I paid 500 bucks for it. I got it home, flushed tank,replaced fuel filter ,pump, and sparkplugs. It cranked up on the 3rd crank, i was so happy. Everything works and looks good except for the paintjob and the ac i think needs charging. The thing is that i didnt think and i boosted it off with a pair of jumper cables from a 2009 nissan titan truck and now all the gauges on the dash are stuck on reading full, the gas , the speed, the rpm,the volts all read wide upon. Did i fry the instrument cluster by jumping it off or is there a relay or fuse somewhere i can check. If it is a intrument cluster where can i find a replacement for such a part? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. O and the guy i took it too told me it was junk and to take it to his junk yard for about 450 bucks. I think he is crasy since this car cranks and purs like a big kitten, and he has his hand in with the junk yard to part it out and take the awsome 4.0 liter engine that i heard is almost bullet proof and has no leaks.. thanks again

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Wow, sounds like a great bargain you got there.

Check all your fuses in all 3 fuse boxes (best with a meter).

Re the AC, don't know about your climate but you can live without it affecting how the car runs. Mine has been empty for 8 years, I always run it on man with a window cracked open, year round. (you can guess why).

Maybe have a gander at your brakes as well, if it hasn't been used for a while.

Others will add about your gauges.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Yup, AJ6 4.0 engine is almost bullet proof mine is only around 160.000 kms only I mean only lol
I only see a blueish a wisk of smoke right when the engine is hot and getting started and it goes away instantly ,this is from valve guides not a problem and good think is no oil consumption despite using synthetic oil

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any other lights lit on the dash such as the blown fuse warning?

Too bad you didn't get a look at the cluster before jumping the car.....or did you?

Originally Posted by bmanmusicdog
I bought this 1991 xj6 sovereign on craigslist from a older gentlement that said his wife used it to go to the grocery store. I paid 500 bucks for it. I got it home, flushed tank,replaced fuel filter ,pump, and sparkplugs. It cranked up on the 3rd crank, i was so happy. Everything works and looks good except for the paintjob and the ac i think needs charging. The thing is that i didnt think and i boosted it off with a pair of jumper cables from a 2009 nissan titan truck and now all the gauges on the dash are stuck on reading full, the gas , the speed, the rpm,the volts all read wide upon. Did i fry the instrument cluster by jumping it off or is there a relay or fuse somewhere i can check. If it is a intrument cluster where can i find a replacement for such a part? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. O and the guy i took it too told me it was junk and to take it to his junk yard for about 450 bucks. I think he is crasy since this car cranks and purs like a big kitten, and he has his hand in with the junk yard to part it out and take the awsome 4.0 liter engine that i heard is almost bullet proof and has no leaks.. thanks again

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Smile xj6

Yes i got a look at the clusters before i jumped it off,, they where all at zero. except for the voltage gauge which was over 13 hooked up to the jumper cables.. But after a few times of trying to crank it, like 3 times and it started to purr like a big cat i looked at the instrument cluster and all where stuck wide open. Does anyone know where i can get a new cluster for it, aftermarket, or just get lucky in a junk yard somewhere? Also i need to replace the shocks,, this is a european model? What kind of shocks to i need to get and springs and where is the best place to purchase them,,, thank you for your replys and for future replys any and all is very appreciated. thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and tell what you see. Does your model have the VCM on it to show any codes?

Springs? With such low mileage why are you looking at springs?

Yes i got a look at the clusters before i jumped it off,, they where all at zero. except for the voltage gauge which was over 13 hooked up to the jumper cables.. But after a few times of trying to crank it, like 3 times and it started to purr like a big cat i looked at the instrument cluster and all where stuck wide open. Does anyone know where i can get a new cluster for it, aftermarket, or just get lucky in a junk yard somewhere? Also i need to replace the shocks,, this is a european model? What kind of shocks to i need to get and springs and where is the best place to purchase them,,, thank you for your replys and for future replys any and all is very appreciated. thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 PM

It was just sitting for over 6 years in a barn,, though i would get new ones,, wouldnt hurt,, and yes i have disconnected the battery many times. I know this sounds wierd but i heard one person on here say that they bought a new battery and there gauges where fine. I dont know how that would fix it if the alternator is working fine.. Just need to go junk yard hunting i guess to find me a intrument cluster somewhere.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I could swear I saw a post on here a week or so ago that addressed this same issue and it was the conclusion that he had a blown fuse somewhere.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If all the fuses turn out to be fine, there are a few fusable links near the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger side that might be bad. You might want to check the relay for the instruments also.
I put Koni gas struts on the back and Bilsteins on the front when I R&Red my suspension. There shouldn't be anything wrong with your springs at those low miles.
Nice catch! I bought my 93 for $2000 with 64,422 miles on it and thought it was a steal.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 AM

I agree.

It should just be a fuse someplace and not the entire cluster.

It was just sitting for over 6 years in a barn,, though i would get new ones,, wouldnt hurt,, and yes i have disconnected the battery many times. I know this sounds wierd but i heard one person on here say that they bought a new battery and there gauges where fine. I dont know how that would fix it if the alternator is working fine.. Just need to go junk yard hunting i guess to find me a intrument cluster somewhere.