XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1992 Jaguar xj6 can't open driver door from in or out

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Jaguar xj6 can't open driver door from in or out

My driver side door will not open from the inside or outside handles due to it freezing one winter and I really need to get them fixed so I can sell it. Any suggestions on how to do that without taking it to a mechanic?

Old 09-05-2022, 02:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums JaguarGirl87,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to XJ40 forum. Members here with the same model of XJ6 will be able to help.

The Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre is for posts about the forum, not for TECNICAL QUESTIONS. Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Received 13,424 Likes on 6,622 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarGirl87
My driver side door will not open from the inside or outside handles due to it freezing one winter and I really need to get them fixed so I can sell it. Any suggestions on how to do that without taking it to a mechanic?
Hi JaguarGirl87,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your thread. The door handle & latch mechanism is fairly complicated and since both your interior and exterior handles don't work, it is likely that the latch mechanism has broken, perhaps due to having been forced when it was frozen. Here is the diagram of the exterior and interior handles, showing the cable that connects the interior handle to the latch:

Here is the diagram of the latch and actuator:

At the very least you will need to remove the interior door trim panel, which may require removal of the driver's seat at the very least.

I'm sorry not to have better news.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (09-10-2022), MountainMan (09-10-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 02:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi JaguarGirl87

I recently had this issue with the Passenger Front (LH Side for me) and the luxury of it occurring on a car I purchased for parts.
I managed to pop off the top black part of the door card without removing the seat. It didn’t actually come free at the front but I had enough room to force my hand in and just fiddle with anything that would move until it opened. Once opened I removed the rest of the door card so that I would be able to open again without losing as much bark of my arm.

I hope you have some success with this

Cheers
Derek

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-13-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 817 Posts

I tend to agree with Skantz. Once you have that too part loose , it's tight but possible. There is one screw at the lower front of that panel which I think is probably blocked by the dash. But maybe if you're gentle? Or maybe someone could supply a replacement top panel. (Hint)

Lawrence (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

To remove the door panel:
The wooden trim is first removed by accessing the handle bezel retaining screw located under the small plastic blanking plate under the inner door handle lever.
Using a small screwdriver, pry open and remove the plate via a narrow slot in one end of the cover. Remove the screw to release the handle bezel. The trim can then be slid back toward the rear of the car when it will release.

Any other visible top panel retaining screws can then be removed.

The one hidden screw holding the top panel in place at the front is behind the rubber air vent link from the dash. This final screw is accessed by peeling back the edge of the rubber. Door has to be open of course.

The remaining hidden screws are located in the armrest. Once both visible and hidden screws are removed from the bottom panel, the door card can be pried off the door. The push-on fittings are along the bottom and sides of the lower panel.

Larry

Don B (09-18-2022)