XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1993 Vanden Plas help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Vanden Plas help!!

We went out last night to go to dinner. It was very cold around 20 degrees out. We drove about 19 miles and the heat in the vehicle never warmed up, until we got to the restaurant. When we left the car started up and we jumped on the freeway. We were going up a hill and the jag started to loss power. I pulled over and after about 1000 feet died. It fired back up. It did hesitate a bit. Once it started to run we drove about 1 more mile and died again and wouldn't start back up. When we drove it if I gave it any gas it would start to stall out. We towed it back home and while in tow the engine stayed on the whole time about 15 miles. I did drive it into the garage. The engine check light came on about 1 week ago with code 37. I had just filled the tank and didn't think much of it. We drove about 200 miles with the code and no problems. Now I'm lost!!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the forum, if you haven't done so please go introduce yourself in the new member section.
That 37 code is an ECU to EGR issue. Plenty on it here in the forum, use the search functions. Get yourself a Haynes manual and a XJ6 Drivers manual. Sounds like your car has intermittent issues with the fuel pump, sometimes it's starving for fuel. 93 Jag huh? I believe that pump is in the tank. Go search for this and download it, you will use it quite a bit. AJ6 Engine Management System Diagnostic Guide.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (12-07-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not had that issue with the Jag but have had a similar issue on a different car. Could be something like an airflow meter or mass meter on the air intake hose. Not sure if Jag use them haven't really known about them until my other car stopped running.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

our93jag:
Welcome. Do follow mtr's recommendations above esp. concerning the code 37. That's a good place to start. The thing that I will add, is that usually in these cases another good place to begin is seeing whether you have a good 40 psi of fuel pressure.
Scott

Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by our93jag
We went out last night to go to dinner. It was very cold around 20 degrees out. We drove about 19 miles and the heat in the vehicle never warmed up, until we got to the restaurant. When we left the car started up and we jumped on the freeway. We were going up a hill and the jag started to loss power. I pulled over and after about 1000 feet died. It fired back up. It did hesitate a bit. Once it started to run we drove about 1 more mile and died again and wouldn't start back up. When we drove it if I gave it any gas it would start to stall out. We towed it back home and while in tow the engine stayed on the whole time about 15 miles. I did drive it into the garage. The engine check light came on about 1 week ago with code 37. I had just filled the tank and didn't think much of it. We drove about 200 miles with the code and no problems. Now I'm lost!!
The code 37 relates to the EGR control solenoid at the rear of the engine, light blue connector. Some fault has been detected in the circuit to the solenoid coil. It wouldn't, however, have any roll in the stalling or power loss you are having. Sounds to me like a fuel pump failing and low fuel volume. [the pump can't pump enough to supply the engine demand] If you have a fuel pressure gauge connected and watch it while you drive you'll probably find the pressure going away.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

How are you coming along?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw your post and don't know if you solved the problem, several have mentioned the fuel pump and checking the fuel pressure, but I don't see where anyone has mentioned the other obvious check if low pressure, the fuel filter may be clogged which would be a relatively simple, i.e., inexpensive, fix. Not sure if this will affect the code 37. It is often not obvious how something impacts a sensor. Good luck.