XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1994 XJ6 with multiple electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 XJ6 with multiple electrical problems.

I posted an earlier thread but gave the wrong year. Sorry for the confusion but I'm new here and, well, you would think I'd know what year car I bought. I will be more careful in the future.
Now the problems: No windows up or down except the passenger rear goes down and not up. No wipers. No headlamps. No signals. No sunroof. No horn. No power seats. No power door locks. When the key is turned to the "ignition on" position the starter engages and the motor starts and runs, however the starter stays engaged until the ignition is turned off. Lastly the key does not turn all the way off and therefore gets stuck in the ignition slot unless you disconnect the battery.
Good news is; the radio and interior lights work fine.
Sorry for the double post, but I had the wrong year in the title. I hope to get some input from other members that may have experienced similar problems.
Thanks, Pete

Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I am not much of an electrician, so what for better answers. I think you have more than one problem here. My guess, and I really don't know how to test them, is that you have a body processor failing, a starter failing, and an ignition switch problem.

Maybe Frasier will kick in with some sound advice. Listen to him. He's rock solid on the XJ40 electrical systems. I'm basing my advice off what customers buy for given problems. Not a technical answer in the least.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

OK, lets have a go.............

Essentially you need the wiring diagram so you can see where the power to the non-functioning items comes from. I also assume you have checked all the fuses.

The ignition switch on the car is normally the place from where power is turned on, there normally being three "on" positions -

1. Non-ignition items such as car radio and door windows, probably sun roof and probably lights etc (Ignition I)
2. Ignition-related items plus air con etc (Ignition II)
3. Engine start, (against spring pressure) to activate the starter motor. (Ignition III)

Note, however, that certain electrical items are not switched and are on all the time, unless the battery is disconnected. Your list of non-functioning items seems to cover all three categories !

Your comment that the ignition switch does not turn all the way is a clue; this sounds like it is the item which has failed or part-failed and is having the effects you see. It could be the reason the starter motor the starter motor is disengaged automatically, even keeping holding the IG III position, and in order to reactivate it you should have to return the switch to IG II before going again to IG III.

If you have the driver handbook, it will tell you what is available off the three positions.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

It could be the reason the starter motor the starter motor is disengaged automatically, even keeping holding the IG III position, and in order to reactivate it you should have to return the switch to IG II before going again to IG III.
Hell, that damned keyboard !!

It could be the reason the starter motor is staying engaged. The starter motor is disengaged automatically when the engine fires, even keeping holding the IG III position, and in order to reactivate it you should have to return the switch to IG II before going again to IG III.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good explanation as usual from Fraser.

Comcaller, you opened your original thread with this as part of the information you gave,

"A couple of weeks ago I took it to a shop in Santa Barbara California with a good reputation for Jaguar repair and that is where it is now. He is backed up a couple of weeks so he should be getting to it soon."

Is it still the case that your car is in a Jaguar repair shop? because if it is, then it would make more sense to let us know what they found, rather than the guys trying to diagnose a car already undergoing professional repair.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is in a shop in Santa Barbara. I was hoping to give him some input because he is so busy. He specializes in Jaguar and has a very good reputation. Thank you all for some great input. I also feel it is my duty to find out as much about my own car as possible. I don't want to get charged for an expansion valve for my muffler. I usually do my own work, but this one is for the pros. Thanks again.