XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

91 parts car XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 91 parts car XJ6

Hello Guys,

Thought I would run this by you. My sons car a 1991 Jaguar VDP XJ6 caught fire tonight.
The hood got damaged, and the engine compartment has damage as well. It will not start due to the damage. There is also wiring damage under the dash where water was sprayed.
The rest of the car is in great shape. My insurance lapsed and the car was not covered. My mistake. missed it by 2 days.
Now my son needs to either sell this car for scrap or part it out. Not sure what to do since the car is a Lucas car under the hood. But everyting is there.
Please advise and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dead in Texas

Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

If done correctly these Jags are worth more in parts than the value of the car itself in running condition. A set of seats alone in good condition can fetch well over $1000. The wood trim, another few hundred dollars and then there is everything else, like the rear IRS and diff which a lot of hod rod builders like to use, the wheels, the door handles, what electrics you can salvage, etc. You get my drift but you could be stuck with the parts while you try and sell them.

Scrap value is precisely that - scrap metal value... a few hundred dollars if your lucky but the car is gone, done and dusted not sitting there rusting as a reminder.

The Jag, as is, either to a private buyer or to keep yourself to restore - again probably scrap value as replacing the sizzled parts could easily mount up. Probably a couple of thousand dollars depending on what's damaged.

If you have the time, effort and storage space to strip it down yourself and you don't mind using somewhere like ebay to list and sell the parts then this would be the most profitable way to go. Just sell whatever is left over to the scrap yard.

Last edited by Jagfix38; 02-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree with JagFix38

Short list of sought after items off the top of my head

Blower assembles (get them out to dry before they rust)
Door handles (exterior and Interior)
Dash
Climate control
Seats
Instrument cluster
Wood trim
Relays
Radiator & fan (provided the fan didn't melt)
Interior door panels
Sunroof motor
Lock actuators
Bumpers
Exterior light assemblies and lens covers
Wiper motor assembly (if it wasn't damaged)
Windshield Washer tank and pump

Be sure to get the interior color code of of the B pillar so buyers know if it's correct for their vehicle. Don't cut off the connectors for the electronic/electric items.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Also, just quickly....

If you choose the strip down, sell parts option.... Label everything right down to the last screw. Like Rob said, don't cut off any connectors and put smaller items in Zip Lock bags. Spray all metal parts with some WD40 so they don't rust.

It's very easy to forgot to do this and then no one will buy a part if they don't know what it is and where it's for.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM

I want to thank you guys for all your input about this car.

I do have it listed on Craigslist. Here is the link, just in case you are interested.

91 Jaguar XJ6 parts car

Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Link didn't work for CL. What color is the car. My son's 1990 XJ6 base needs a few parts. Mostly drivers door parts. Window not working. door handle flopping.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

90jag,

I bet this vehicle is no more, either sold, crushed, or dissected for parts. I know when newly posted the link did work, I looked at the car my self. You may try send a private message to the original poster and see if you get a response.

Originally Posted by 90jag
Link didn't work for CL. What color is the car. My son's 1990 XJ6 base needs a few parts. Mostly drivers door parts. Window not working. door handle flopping.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Sorry everyone I should have updated my posting in awhile. My son sold the car last week to a local scrap yard.
Again my apologies for not updating.

Thanks all for advise.

Wendell