XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 XJ40 blowers not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Blowers not working

Step 27 - Now you need to put evey things back. Do the same way but go backward but you need to test it to make sure switch work before installation every things back. Use DOM test continuety both terminal of micro switch by turn on AC Fan.

Attached Thumbnails 94 XJ40 blowers not working-hcstep30.jpg   94 XJ40 blowers not working-hcstep31b.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Default Blowers not working

Step 28 Reconnect the multiplug, this is just a push-fit and should click into place

Attached Thumbnails 94 XJ40 blowers not working-hcstep32.jpg   94 XJ40 blowers not working-hcstep34.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM

That's it. Hope you guys fix the problem. If you think the blower relays, or darlington transistor of blower motor go bad, please see the thread rebuild the blower motor what I write next.

The following users liked this post:
Lawrence (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Thanks so much Zenidyle, picked up a micro switch from Radio Shack today and ordered a new clock lightbulb, might as well fix everything while the center console is out.

If the blower system still doesn't work properly after I change the micro switch I'll be following on to the next steps, getting new relays and rebuilding the blowers and/or speed control electronics.

Thanks again for the fantastic detailed posts

cheers

Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Good lucks. Let us know what your result.

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Thanks so much Zenidyle, picked up a micro switch from Radio Shack today and ordered a new clock lightbulb, might as well fix everything while the center console is out.

If the blower system still doesn't work properly after I change the micro switch I'll be following on to the next steps, getting new relays and rebuilding the blowers and/or speed control electronics.

Thanks again for the fantastic detailed posts

cheers

Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Did the micro switch replacement and changed out the burned out bulbs in the clock today....blowers still as they were, not working :-( so it's on to the next stage, will keep you up to date on my progress!!

Thanks once again Zenidyle for the detailed instructions and happy new year!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Fixed - sorta!

Hi Guys,

Update on the blower repair on my '94 XJ40

After replacing this switch I checked for 12v on the driver's side blower brown connector at the blue/brown wire and the wire was dead.

According to the wiring diagram in Haynes, this wire is always powered and connects directly to the fuse box in the LH footwell.

When I probed the fuse, I had power on both sides of the fuse so I figured I had either a broken wire or the problem was at the fuse box, so I unplugged the connector at the fuse box and did a continuity check on the blue/brown from there to the brown connector at the blower. The wire checked OK.

I removed the fuse box and took out the circuit boards. They looked clean at first glance, but on close inspection I spotted a cracked solder joint right next to the blower fuse connector.

After re-soldering and re-installing the fusebox I had power on the brown/blue and the blower started working again - but only on high speed, so I still have to pull that blower and fix the darlington transistor, relays etc to get low and medium speeds.

The RH side was also not working at all so next I pulled the RH fusebox, found the very same problem - cracked joint at the blower fuse. Re-soldered it and when I re-installed it, to my surprise, the RH blower fired up and worked on all speeds - BONUS!!!

Now I don't have to worry about disarming and removing that passenger airbag and blower assembly!!

So next, it's pull the LH blower and fix the speed control.

Nice to have heat again!!

Thanks to all who helped out with the diagnosis/solutions

all the best,

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad you found the fuse boxes as the fault (at least for the right side). I had forgotten about that one. I saw it one time at the dealer, I think older dealer techs saw that concern more. Great investigating on your part!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to highjack your thread but I thought I'd throw in something I found as well on a 94 XJ40. The driver's side blower would not work. So I assumed that it was the resistor pack and never really checked anything. Got a good used blower assy and installed it but had the same problem. I had power at the fuse box and coming out of the fuse box but no power to the plug. The wire was open somewhere crossing up and over. I repaired the wiring and fixed the problem. Glad you found your problem as well.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear, concise and expertly documented tutorial. Thank you very much for contributing this!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Zenidyle, I rekon this may be the answer to one of my problem.
the illustrations and explanation were excellent.
I will take a look at the micro switch when I get the chance and see if I can fix my blower...... will keep you posted once done

Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed these posts. They were very helpful.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:15 AM

I am new to Jaguars and to this site. Just bought a 91 xj6 for my wife to play with. The previous owner babied the thing. I am getting a real kick out of people sharing all the Jag secrets. Cool.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Hi Can do it,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Also, if you don't find the answer to your blower motor issues by searching this forum, try the XJ40 eBook at the Jag-Lovers forum, which has an excellent section on the Air-con blowers. You will probably have to register and log in to view it, but it's free and there's a ton of XJ40 info in the archives there:

Jag-lovers' Ebooks

Cheers,

Don

93SB (05-15-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for a great write up. It is good timing for me as I am about to tackle the blowers in my 1988 again. Mine does something other then just run on high. When I turn mine on it blows at what sounds to be a moderate rate for a few seconds then steps down to very low rate. I have already replaced the control panel with no change. I know from pulling fuses that only the left blower is working at all. So I going to go at the passenger side blower next. Thanks again for the very good info.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeck54
Thanks for a great write up. It is good timing for me as I am about to tackle the blowers in my 1988 again. Mine does something other then just run on high. When I turn mine on it blows at what sounds to be a moderate rate for a few seconds then steps down to very low rate. I have already replaced the control panel with no change. I know from pulling fuses that only the left blower is working at all. So I going to go at the passenger side blower next. Thanks again for the very good info.

dbeck54,

You may want to consider pulling your fuse boxes and ensuring all of the solder points are good. Sounds to me like you have a variable in supply and I would be suspicious of the fuse boxes.

I just realized the date of your post, so how did things turn out with the blower assemblies?

93SB (06-30-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Just replaced the driver side. So far so good. Now diving into the pass side. Thanks for the good advise.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the great info and process. I would like to add one thing about micro switches. They have a life span as you have noted. They will often fail with a low resistance but not low enough to be detected by the control logic. For instance it is common that the switch will have 0 or <1 Ohm when new and after several years start having 5-7 Ohms. This continues to get worse with use. Note that when checking the switch actually has 0-1 Ohm. Anything greater means it is on the way out. They are cheap and readily available at any electronics supplier. Ones made offshore will last less than a name brand such as Omron or MicroSwitch or? Why do the job twice? I have experience with doing jobs twice. Ron.

The following 2 users liked this post by British Ride:
Don B (09-23-2015), manwich66 (09-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

I just read Norman Crane's explanation of the blower speed control system on another forum and for future reference, include it here:

Let me try and explain the use of the Darlington pair transistors as used on the blowers in our motors.

The Darlington pair is actually two transistors encapsulated in one housing, hence the name, the first transistor of the pair cascades its output onto the input of the second, this is done to increase the high current that can be switched (This relatively high current is why the transistor cans themselves are mounted on a hefty heat sinking base).

A transistor is in fact a controllable, variable relay, but instead of just having two states, on or off, it has various stages of open from zero to max with all the values in-between.

In the blower circuits the first transistor of the pair is triggered by the “Climate Control Microprocessor” the subsequent output of the second is fed directly to the blower.

We have one Darlington pair for the right blower and another for the left blower. The microprocessor receives the settings from the climate control panel switch of low / Med / High speed and depending on the ambient temperature regulates the fan speed via the Darlington pair, however, in the case of the high speed setting a relay is triggered which effectively bypasses the Darlington pair and drives the fan directly.

So the microprocessor controls the fans at low or medium speed via the Darlington array and then directly when on high speed, which is why the fans may work on high speed but not on low or medium if the Darlington has failed.

When changing out the Darlington pairs I cannot stress enough the care that must be taken to ensure that they are electrically isolated from the heat sink plate, but at the same time thermally “connected” via the mica washer and a liberal layer of white thermal conducting paste. They can get quite hot when in service.
Larry

Don B (10-24-2016)