XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Alleged Automatic Transmission Leak and ATF Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alleged Automatic Transmission Leak and ATF Questions

Those of you who have been following my "progress" as I meandered through the first days of Jag ownership will have another chance to get a chuckle at my expense. I previously mentioned in another thread that I suspected an engine oil leak, but it seems I'm wrong. Further investigation has shown that it's actually automatic transmission fluid I've been leaking.

From what I've seen, it's dripping off of the auto trans oil pan, but I'm still not certain whether it's the pan gasket or the rear main seal (is that even possible?) that's causing the leak. Depending on what I'm looking at here, I might take it in to my favorite import shop to deal with. I'll have to post some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about. Either way, I haven't been driving it due to the leak and it's killing me inside!

My other question, since I have no idea if it was last filled with Dexron II or not, is whether I can top it off with Dexron III or IV, depending on what I can find. I'm not sure if it's necessary yet or not, but it's probably a good idea to figure that out ahead of time. Thanks, as always, for the input.

Last edited by mphilleo; 12-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mphiello,

I wonder if the small leak you're having is originating the steering rack. Mine presently leaks a little bit from that area --> old seals on the connection between the steering column to the rack--> and yields the same oil staining you are seeing. Since this is something I'm not willing to deal with at this time (need a new rack in general), I just use Dex/Mec Trans fluid for high millage cars to top it off.

Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
mphilleo (12-18-2010)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fritterfran
mphiello,

I wonder if the small leak you're having is originating the steering rack. Mine presently leaks a little bit from that area --> old seals on the connection between the steering column to the rack--> and yields the same oil staining you are seeing. Since this is something I'm not willing to deal with at this time (need a new rack in general), I just use Dex/Mec Trans fluid for high millage cars to top it off.

Just my 2 cents.
That's a very good point you make. Obviously, in some cases, automatic transmission fluid can be used interchangeably in the power steering system. A leak like that would explain why I was low on power steering fluid when I bought the car. I might just have to check the reservoir again...I know it's mostly snake oil, but is there any power steering fluid stop leak (i.e. band aid) members here can recommend?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mphiello,

I tried the "Lucas stop leak" product and it was no use. An aged rubber seal is the source of the symptom and that's it. There were discussions in either this or other forums about putting a cap full of brake fluid into the Power Steering fluid mixture, that would make the rubber seal swell however I did not take that route. I'm concerned on how it would impact other rubber components within the steering system so my opinion for proceeding with this method is at your own discretion.

I can live with the small leak for a spell until I am able to get a new steering rack. To fix the seal in the steering column, you have to remove the rack and the possible culprit is within the connection of the rack to the column. The new rack will have this seal already installed....so I'll wait.