XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

blower motor in 93 xj6 had alot of water in it -help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default blower motor in 93 xj6 had alot of water in it -help

Of course, I removed the blower motor because it was not working. It was the right side blower motor and it had about a half a liter of water in it. How can I prevent this water accumulation from happening again? What caused it? I will be servicing the electrical components of the blower motor but this issue must be resolved first. Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Taking what you say literally, I am assuming that the "water" is not coolant water??.

The outside water, as in rain/washing gets in via the fresh air intake opening, and that is usually coz the plenum chamber drain is blocked.

Condensation type water would be due to the system drain tube/s blocked. No idea where they are on the '40, so someone who has done that unblock will chime in eventually.

If its coolant type water, heater core is the issue.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM

The water is not from the cooling system. How does the blower motor unit supposed to eliminate water that may accumulate?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Accumulated water as in condensation from the a/c system drains out through 2 drain tubes in the bottom of the car. On the earlier cars these were above the transmission, and blocked regularly with foam and rubbish from the internal system.

On my X300 they are in what appears to be the same general area, as pools of water accumulate under the car once stopped.

Water, as in rain getting in via the fresh air intake is generally a no-no, and it is so designed to prevent this. However, if the drain tubes from that area (plenum chamber) block up with leaves/rodents/stuff in general, it will fill that chamber to a point where that water overflows the raise lip, and enters the internal system.

Since no-one else has answered as yet, maybe a search of the XJ40 section using key words such as "a/c drain tubes" will give you a better clue as to where they are, and how to clear them.

The other water is checked by simple removing the panel covering the wiper system, and feel around for the rather largish drain openings, and ensure they are free from blockage ALL the way to the outside world.

Then of course it may be a front windscreen leaking via the seal, and it is finding its way into the climate system, where it pools in the lowest point (motor chamber) and either evaporates eventually, or rusts the chamber, or does what yours has done, waits to be released by destroying some other component.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Default where is the fresh air intake vent for a/c?

Perhaps the water entered through the fresh air intake vent for the a/c. The water may not have been draining as it should due to a clogged drainage system where the fresh air intake is (by the lower windshield and wiper). I poured a couple of gallons of water along the fresh air intake vent to see if it would drip along where the blower unit was but I could not see any water dripping. Any thoughts? Also, how does one clear a clog along the route of the fresh air intake to restore the proper drainage of water?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

supra-raleigh

I concur with Francis on the sources of water. I have an earlier model, (89) XJ40 and they too accumulated water, mainly due to clog A/C drains. Since you removed the blower, it should have been real obvious where the drain tubes are. They run straight down from the A/C unit (items 2,3 &4):

Air Conditioning Unit - Parts for XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

In regard to the fresh air vent, remove the wind screen finisher located under the wiper arm and clean out the debris inside. The drain is located......:

Windscreen Wiper Motor - Parts for XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

or: (because you didn't indicate your VIN)

Windscreen Wiper Motor - Parts for XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

......it's part of the wiper motor assembly.

I would think the most likely source is the A/C evaporation drains, especially since you already tested the air intake area. Two methods to clean, put the car up and clear from underneath, or continue with working from the interior and disconnect them from the A/C assembly and then clear them out from above.

It may be worth putting the car up and examine the exits for both drains by the transmission, there may be something built up externally causing the backup.

Other than those two sources, the only thing remaining is the heater core, but It sounds like you already eliminated coolant solution.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob Evenson:
93SB (05-30-2014), Don B (05-25-2014)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile XJ40 Heater

Hi,
I have a 87 model XJ40 which I had the heater motors replaced. It's a very common problem with this model. Like the other gent said the best prevention is to take the wiper grill panel off on a six monthly basis and clear out any dirt or leaves. On the XJ40 there is a rubber grommet under the wiper plenum located in the centre of the fire wall just above the head. Its a little hard to find so use a torch and have a good look. I took the grommet off completely to allow unrestricted draining of any water that enters through the wiper grill panel. Hope this helps, good luck.
Kind Regards
Tim Webb

The following users liked this post:
Kay (04-20-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Last week as I went round a sharp bend I noticed a bunch of water started dripping into the footwell. It hasn't rained in about 2 weeks and as I've had the a/c on full blast, I figured the a/c drain tube was plugged.

The drains are located under the carpet either side of the trans tunnel. There's a short (4") length of clear tubing between the upper (evaporator) section and the lower (under car outlet). Remove the clear section from the rubber connectors and attach a reasonably long length of tubing in its place, long enough to reach outside the car door.
If you attach to the floor/underbody rubber fitting and you can blow through without much resistance, the lower section to the underside of the car is clear. Some folks feed a thin wire through to clear that section out but it isn't possible to poke anything up into the upper section as there is some sort of restrictor screen blocking access.

Best method I found to clear the upper drain was to attach an airline to the upper section or, if you don't have access to a compressor (I don't) use a can of duster (can of compressed air) and slip one end of the tubing over the upper rubber fitting and give it a couple of good blasts. That will usually clear the blockage up near the evaporator - If it successfully clears the blockage you'll find the tubing will fill up with water right away. Move the can of air still attached to the tubing outside the car and detach the can. You should get a steady stream of water draining out, in my case it was about half a pint!

There are two drains of course, one for each side, passenger and driver's footwells, so best to do both while you're at it.

btw, I had a sort of "early warning" that the drains had plugged - there was a slight musty smell for about a week before the floor vents started dripping on my feet so next time I get that smell I'll know it's time to do it again!

I originally had a musty smell last year after rebuilding the a/c (which hadn't worked in years afaik) which I "cured" by spraying lysol into the air intakes by the windshield wiper - worked well but the Jag smelled like a hospital for about 2 weeks afterwards!

Not very pleasant, but eventually it went away and the air felt good until just now - so maybe the smell is a giveaway for blocked a/c drains.

happy motoring

Larry

The following 3 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (05-30-2014), Don B (05-25-2014), MidwestJag (05-25-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I had an XJ40 that had both blowers not working due to this problem. Once they had been replaced I removed the rubber grommet from the window wiper/ air inlet cavity, which is easy to take off if you reach down in the middle of the fire wall behind the back of the engine head, you will feel a rubber grommet that impedes the water from draining out of the wiper arm cavity. Simply remove it and this will stop the build up of water getting into the blower motors via the air inlet vent.
All the best.
Tim

The following users liked this post:
supra-raleigh (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Default Installed used blower motors off a 94 using lead-link adapters- they WORK!!!

As the title says, my replacement blowers now work, even the blower speed funtion. The driver side did not work immediately so I removed the knee bolster and then the metal backing plate behind it, stuck my hand in the blower motor door and tapped on the left blue relay. The fan then started working - JAGUAR JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!