XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Brake pads replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Brake pads replaced

Hi,
Don't know if your interested but I can check yet another item off my to-do list

I replaced the brake pads this afternoon, and I must concede, they are probably the most straight forward and user friendly brake system I have come across.... Just too easy....

I guess I averaged about 15 minutes per wheel from Jacking up finish.
The only little obstacle I did encounter was the Low Pad Sensor..... seems I ordered the pads with the wrong shape plug....

The new ones came with a round connector, where the car has an almost oval shape plug....

Easily remedied.... cut the end off the new pads and solder the old ones back on...... easy as that.

Got the Jag back on all 4's again and took her for a run..... the Low Pad warning decided to reappear..... so parked her up again and raising each wheel I climbed under and disconnected the plug and then bridged the pins and checked the VCM again and repeated til I found the culprit......

Wouldn't you know it had to be the last one I tested...... well that's obvious..... but the last one tested also happened to be the 4th wheel lol.

As I had to unplug each plug in turn to test... I decided to also give each a quick squirt of CRC just to make sure they would make good contact.

Its all good now.... hopefully wont have to replace anything there again for a few more years

extra thought: I am still however getting the low pressure and antilock system warnings on the VCM..... I will address those another day.

My wife was less than impressed when I came in and I was black all over.... I guess I need to do a little gurney work under there too eventually lol

Straight into the laundry and wash up and then off to the shower before I was allowed to touch anything or sit anywhere.....
you got to love 'em hey? lmao

Last edited by red_101au; 02-27-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: extra thoughts
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Good Work Rob,

If only doing the laundry was as easy as changing the brake pads! It is one of the easiest service items on the Jag.

You're probably about to have a 'Doh! moment but the simple fix when you discovered the wrong type of pin connector on the brake pad sensors would have been to pry out the old sensor from the old pad (assuming it wasn't ground down to nothing) and just put it into the new pad with a dab of silicone or brake glue to hold it in place... would have saved cutting and soldering... good knowledge for next time.

As mentioned on the other thread, the low pressure/antilock message on the VCM will either be due to the 1; faulty relay in the trunk, 2;low fluid in the tank, 3; leaking/faulty hydro brake system. But you know that. Just thought I'd mention it again for anyone else reading this thread.

Very rarely you may get the faulty ABS message due to dirty/fouled ABS wheel sensors. They really only get dirty if your wheel bearings are on the way out and there is old grease and muck everywhere. Easily cleaned by removing them from the hub carrier, a clean up with a rag then bolt them back in. Even quicker than doing a pad change!

How's does your brake pedal feel now that you've changed the pads? Any different?

Last edited by Jagfix38; 02-27-2014 at 01:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KC7stw (03-17-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 AM

Actually the brakes do feel a little softer, but at the same time maybe not braking as hard.
there is the fact i still didnt bleed the system yet too. eventually i want to do a complete flush an pressure bleed.
as for just changing the leads to the pads..... that was my first thought, however I could not pry the the new ones out... I did try but I was worried they were going to rip.
either way it all works and really wasnt much effort to just snip and join lol.
I am looking forward to getting the booster conversion now.... Just got to wait til I have a little spare change.... so I guess it will have to wait a couple of weeks or so.
Altogether I am very happy with the repairs.... so far it really hasnt cost me bugger all.
Brake pads round $100 front and back....... speaking of which, front were still about 90% ok, back were pretty much non existent, but replace all 4 to be sure.
Door handles, free repaired
Fuses, free old stock
2 headlight globes around $12
front ashtray assembly, free repaired old one

I think I am getting out of this pretty lightly ...... so far, touch wood

Last edited by red_101au; 02-27-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to do brakes on the rear here soon. I also have to track down the anti-lock problem and get that fixed so i can clear that code off the list of things to go..

Thanks for the good read on changing the pads..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 AM

no probs KC7stw....
I doubt it gave any insight into the process as they are extremely straight forward to do, but I appreciate any comments and praise is always welcome. lol