XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Car Died .... Still a "No Go"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Died .... Still a "No Go"

Hi All, I'm back
While having my morning cup of Joe, I take another "long look" at my "Dust Covered" 94 XJ6.
I Did replace the fuel pump (not too bad), It started RIGHT UP ! "Woo Hoo" I thought..... Well , I went to push the gas , it DIED !
It STARTS, it RUNS, but it won't GO ..... Any advise

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGrou

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome back Dewd,

I've moved your thread from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to XJ40 forum.

Members here with the same model are the ones to be able to help.

Graham

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

Dewd,

Does the care idle properly? When idling, is it a smooth idle as ussual, or is it jumpy or erratic in behavior?

Did you do any work on the throttle body or around the throttle body?

Originally Posted by Dewd
Hi All, I'm back
While having my morning cup of Joe, I take another "long look" at my "Dust Covered" 94 XJ6.
I Did replace the fuel pump (not too bad), It started RIGHT UP ! "Woo Hoo" I thought..... Well , I went to push the gas , it DIED !
It STARTS, it RUNS, but it won't GO ..... Any advise

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Additionally, are there any fault codes on the VCM?
Scott

Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Hey Rob,
The car DOES HAVE a ruff idle after repetitive attempts to crank it over .
Once Started, I have to fumble with the throttle to keep it running , and to open it up it just dies. I did however remove the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter ( witch is still bypassed) with a piece of hose.
There is a few fault codes that displays ; 1) reads- "FUSE 1" & the other is ??? FUEL ERR

Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Dewd,

Well the most obvious thing is you have removed a component (bypassed) of the fuel delivery system. The system is going to monitor specifications , coupled with an system allowable variance that the ECU can adjust for .

You're essentially taking the pump directly to the FPR and that would be way out of range. Put the filter back in line for the system.

Why is the filter bypassed? Further, the hose bypass....way dangerous.

Hey Rob,
The car DOES HAVE a ruff idle after repetitive attempts to crank it over .
Once Started, I have to fumble with the throttle to keep it running , and to open it up it just dies. I did however remove the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter ( witch is still bypassed) with a piece of hose.
There is a few fault codes that displays ; 1) reads- "FUSE 1" & the other is ??? FUEL ERR

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Default 94 XJ6 Im Back "/

Well I still have fuel issues.
I changed out the fuel pump , got it to start , spitz and sputters .....but won't go.
I put the fuel filter back in line, and still no good results .... I'm thinking starving for fuel or ??????

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Dewd,

We can be more helpful if you tell us all of the work you have done. There must have been something to cause you to bypass the fuel filter.

It sounds like a throttle issue, poor mix of air/fuel delivery. Did you happen to change the oil filter and work under the throttle housing? Are all of the air delivery components installed? Did you test the fuel pump relay and base? Make sure all you're grounds are clean and secure, these cars are sensitive to dirty grounds. Check all vacumn hoses to ensure they are seated securely and not cracked.

Is the fuel clean, as in water free? Not sure if the vehicle is stored in a garage or not. I think you have an in-tank pump, so I'm assuming fresh fuel in the tank.

Let us know, here to help.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Dewd, We can be more helpful if you tell us all of the work you have done. There must have been something to cause you to bypass the fuel filter. It sounds like a throttle issue, poor mix of air/fuel delivery. Did you happen to change the oil filter and work under the throttle housing? Are all of the air delivery components installed? Did you test the fuel pump relay and base? Make sure all you're grounds are clean and secure, these cars are sensitive to dirty grounds. Check all vacumn hoses to ensure they are seated securely and not cracked. Is the fuel clean, as in water free? Not sure if the vehicle is stored in a garage or not. I think you have an in-tank pump, so I'm assuming fresh fuel in the tank. Let us know, here to help.
Well the fuel filter I put back on still no difference I changed out the fuel pump to begin with. And the only code that I'm getting from the VCM is "fuse one PRO". There IS FUEL in the rail and it does spew out when I Break it loose on the rail .Am I Going to have to pull that tank & pump back out ? I've located all the relays I switched them all around and still nothing . The owners book that I have tells me locations of relays but some of them are not there . @#%?!{£!=)??

Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 AM

Well the fuel filter I put back on still no difference I changed out the fuel pump to begin with. And the only code that I'm getting from the VCM is "fuse one PRO". There IS FUEL in the rail and it does spew out when I Break it loose on the rail .Am I Going to have to pull that tank & pump back out ? I've located all the relays I switched them all around and still nothing . The owners book that I have tells me locations of relays but some of them are not there . @#%?!{£!=)??

I'm sorry Rob, I'm trying to answer all questions , I'm not sure if all of my replies have went through.
I seem to get a pop up saying " ERROR DUPLICATE POST" ??? I hope you get this one. I'm going to check the Oxygen Sensor relay ...:/

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Hi All, I'm back While having my morning cup of Joe, I take another "long look" at my "Dust Covered" 94 XJ6. I Did replace the fuel pump (not too bad), It started RIGHT UP ! "Woo Hoo" I thought..... Well , I went to push the gas , it DIED ! It STARTS, it RUNS, but it won't GO ..... Any advise Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGrou

Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 13,290 Likes on 6,570 Posts

The car DOES HAVE a ruff idle after repetitive attempts to crank it over . Once Started, I have to fumble with the throttle to keep it running , and to open it up it just dies. I did however remove the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter ( witch is still bypassed) with a piece of hose. There is a few fault codes that displays ; 1) reads- "FUSE 1" & the other is ??? FUEL ERR
First of all, a shout out to my friend Rob Evenson - hey Rob! Great to run into you here!

I'm a longtime member of the Jag-Lovers XJ40 forum who has just recently begun participating in the Jaguar Forums lists, particularly at the X350 area since we added an '04 XJR to our garage.

Okay, Dewd:

First of all, it would be prudent to figure out what those error codes mean. They don't look like typical '94 codes (e.g. Fuel Fail 89). Have you googled those error codes to see if you can determine their meaning?

Secondly, I'm curious as to why you removed the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Did you suspect that it was blocked? The purpose of the FPR is to maintain proper pressure in the fuel rail to atomize the fuel at the injector nozzles. Without the FPR in the system, the fuel delivered to the fuel rail simply runs through the rail and returns to the tank, and the only pressure in the system is whatever the pump itself can produce against no resistance. Asking the engine to increase its rpms immediately starves it of fuel. The injectors open, but with too little pressure in the rail, fuel just dribbles into the cylinders and doesn't mix properly with the air. With the FPR in place, the fuel rail pressure should be in the range of 38-44psi.

In my experience, failed or failing FPRs are contributors to lots of idling and running problems, so given how old our XJ40s are, it's prudent to replace the FPR as a matter of course. We often don't realize the FPR is failing until another component fails, such as the fuel pump.

Another possible contributor to the symptoms you describe is an air leak in the intake plumbing after the MAFS, allowing unmetered air to enter the engine and weaken the air-fuel mixture without the ECM being able to compensate. There are lots of potential places for air leaks around the intake plumbing and manifold. One way to test for a leak is to mist starter fluid spray around the intake pipes, throttle body and manifold. If the engine rpm suddenly increases, you have found the general area of the leak. A couple of common places that get overlooked are the accordioned hose that connects to the throttle body - its bottom edge can be tricky to properly fit to the throttle and is sometimes not fully sealed; and it is easy to overtighten the clamps at either end of the plastic elbow and cause the plastic to bend inward, creating a leak.

Keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Don,

Glad you joined, left you a note on your introduction post.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-03-2014)