XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Central locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Central locking issue

Hi,
I have a 1988 3.6 XJ40. The car is in really good condition but has a few ailments. Firstly the central locking / boot / fuel cap releases do not work. Can anyone assist with this, bearing in mind I understand these car have a maze of electrical components and I'm no Einstein. Secondly the speedo on the car has an analogue and digital display, the digital display is intermittent, has anyone else had this issue. Thirdly the rear screen demister does not appear to work, the light comes on on the switch but the window does not clear.
Lastly does anyone know of a good supplier of parts for these vehicles.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

A fellow aussie xj40 owner...

Ok...for parts I usually try Gary at JagAyre in Melbourne then Phil or Adrian at Jag Prestige or Bill at JagDaim...just Google all three. Otherwise eBay can be a good source or if you don't mind waiting a week or two for parts try discountcarparts.com in the US of A.

Central locking can be a bit of a problem, there is a main controller located under the passenger side knee board part number DBC 1554 I think. sometimes one of the door solenoids can go bung which can throw the central locking out. or a disconnected connector can do the same. Are any of the locks operating?

The rear dimister...have you checked the fuse? and also that the wires are attached to the rear screen? you'll see the connection half way up the window on the passenger side...also look carefully to make sure the demister lines don't have any breaks in them.

The instrument panels in these cars are notorious for having broken solder connections from old age....might be worth taking it out and getting an auto sparky to check it and re solder any broken wire connectors...

Hope this helps a little...

Old 08-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I forgot to add...the boot lock has three positions....turn the key to the left manually unlocks it....all the way to the right locks it and to upright in the centre allows it to operate with the central locking...

In the boot, below the fuel filler cap and behind the panel is a manual override switch to manually operate the fuel release...otherwise to open the filler cap just make sure the drivers door is unlocked and press down on it and it should pop up. It locks and can't be opened if the doors are locked.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jagfix38 for your quick response to my questions, I really appreciate that. In answer to your questions 1) none of the door locks appear to be operating when the key is turned and I can not hear any clicking of solinoids or the like either.
2) I have checked the fuse for the rear demister and all fuses are OK, I have not checked the wires to the demister unit yet though
3) I found the manual override thing in the boot also, but would prefer to get everything operating as it should be.

I will endeavour to see if there is a problem with the main controller, check to see if power is getting to actuatotrs etc.

Will keep you advised of how I go, any further info would be greatly apprciated also.