XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Crankcase Ventilation System

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crankcase Ventilation System

Gday

I have some concerns regarding the crankcase ventilation system on my 90 sovereign.

I've just checked a few things and have found that there is water in my CVS as there are milky white oil deposits. The oil in my sump is fine though it is only in the oil fill tube and related CVS hoses. That of which is being fed into my throttle body.

I've done some investigating and found that there is a electronic heating element that my Jag doesn't have. Could this be the reason? It doesn't look like there ever was one there as the hose is a 1 piece hose and I cant see any wires to accommodate a heating element

If that isn't the cause what should I look for? My head was redone about a year ago so hopefully it isn't that.

Cheers

Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi I don't know about a heating element, but in a European winter, if I only use the 92 XJ40 for short journeys, I will see some mayonaise forming in the CVS system and oil filler tube.

Basically due to condensation, I believe.

This has happened every winter for the last 7 years.

First time I saw it, required urgent remedial skidy replacement.

These engines need to get up to temp and be run, they don't seem to like very short stints.

For me at least, the problem disapears once I get some decent hot weather and long runs.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks Richard

That's definitely good news
I had hoped it was only condensation but I hadn't seen anything like it before
We are in winter at the moment and It has had some short journeys so that would explain it.

We are about to come into warmer weather with a few long distance drives planned so I will keep on eye on it

Thanks again for your input!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 AM

And some time later....

on the same topic
There is quite a bit of oil coming through my CVS ending in my air intake and creating a bit of mess. A bit more than what should be.
It is causing a few problems
there is a fair bit of oil burn on start up from excess oil in the intake
and my plugs are fouling quickly
The oil had also leaked down over the throttle potentiometer and I believe was the cause of fault code 17 that I got a while ago after a check and a bit of a clean I haven't got the code back..yet

Could this problem be from the control orifice not doing its job.. what ever that may be??

I was going to purchase an aftermarket CVS filter and attach that to the end of the CVS hose and block off the air intake CVS inlet section to prevent the oil

Your thoughts?

Scubbs

Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Scrubbs,

Here is a page describing the breather system on your XJ40. The breather heater is shown as well. The breather orifice needs to be checked periodically or oil consumption, oil in the elbow, crankcase pressure and blown gaskets can result. Esp. cam cover gaskets.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AJ6 Breather Heater.pdf (152.7 KB, 414 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annually I need to remove the throttle body to clean the mountain of crude on the EGR inlet. That is what throws a 17 on mine and once cleaned well, #17 is gone. To me the entire system likes to get corroded with oil being drawn into it, toward it and on it. I also will clean the control orifice mentioned in this thread. It does get mucked up with crude.

I wouldn't even want to think of the cost to own, if I couldn't turn a wrench. My wife has a 95 Caddie Concours and it never needs anything and she puts a lot of miles on that puppy. The door sealing and other noise dampening puts my Jag to shame. But I suffer from the Jaguar ownership disease and like driving mine better than her Caddie. But comparing my Jag to her Caddie, I would say that dollar for dollar the Caddie was a better made car. Know a guy that has 550,000 on his caddie and it is the same engine.

Caddie no list
My jag - always has a to-do list

JS 90 XJ40

Originally Posted by Scubbs
And some time later....

on the same topic
There is quite a bit of oil coming through my CVS ending in my air intake and creating a bit of mess. A bit more than what should be.
It is causing a few problems
there is a fair bit of oil burn on start up from excess oil in the intake
and my plugs are fouling quickly
The oil had also leaked down over the throttle potentiometer and I believe was the cause of fault code 17 that I got a while ago after a check and a bit of a clean I haven't got the code back..yet

Could this problem be from the control orifice not doing its job.. what ever that may be??

I was going to purchase an aftermarket CVS filter and attach that to the end of the CVS hose and block off the air intake CVS inlet section to prevent the oil

Your thoughts?

Scubbs

Last edited by urdrwho; 05-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.