XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Differences between years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between years?

Recently, I crashed my 1988 Jaguar XJ40 and have sense been drooling over the prospect of a new car. Most notably, another Jaguar, and most likely another XJ40.

I've heard a lot of tales about the reliability of these cars but even the beat down model I had was a joy to drive. I loved the digital instrumentation, and I thoroughly enjoyed the luxury of it. The one thing that did seem lacking was acceleration and passing power. Sad to say, I feel my dads 93' Corolla had more passing power than the beast I was driving, but much of this is probably due to the condition of the engine and the car itself.

I'm told the 90's models feature a larger 4.0L engine, with slightly more horsepower, and 13% of torque. I'm also told its computer controlled featuring a sports mode and anti-lock breaks.
Jag-lovers - Model Information

My question here is, can anyone break down the key differences in model years from 86' to 94'. I really like to know if the new anti-lock break feature means the brake booster from the 88' was replaced. I'd also like to know if the digital instrumentation on the dashboard was offered on the 90's model or strictly stopped at 89'. When did the inboard brakes get switched to the outside?

The article linked says that 92'-94' were the best years featuring, ABS, airbags, cruise control, security system and a good sound system. Did the 88' not feature airbags? I know mine didn't have a security system, though that would of been nice.
Also, any statements to the drive-ability of newer years versus older years would be greatly welcome.

Any and all information will be used towards buying a new XJ40, I'm also hoping any others who've been twiddling their thumbs over the differences will have access to clear cut information.

Much thanks,
Hollowitz

Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default xj40

Can't speak for the other years but my 94 has been very trouble free in the 4 years that I have had it. Other than changing all fluids and initial normal maintenance items-brakes,filters etc. I have had no problems with it.Acceleration is OK but you won't be squealing the tires when you take off.The sport mode does give you better acceleration over normal.The ride is much smoother and softer than the newer Xj8s with the air ride-yes I've been test driving a few newer-so it depends what type of ride you are looking for.Acceleration is much improved in the newer cars.I'm debating now whether to stay with the smooth ride or go with the more sport features of a newer one.As much as I like my xj40 I do like a lot of the features on the newer models. Cary

Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 13,086 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Hi Hollowitz,

Answers to some of your questions can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ_(XJ40)

I'm sure I'll forget some things, but overall the later cars tend to have better seats, particularly in Vanden Plas (VDP) trim. The later cars also tend to be more reliable, although all XJ40s are old cars at this point and if certain repairs haven't already been done you will almost certainly face them yourself (head gasket, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, resoldering joints in the fuse boxes and relay modules, etc.).

The '93 models were the first with an airbag, in the steering wheel only.

The '94 models have an airbag in the steering wheel plus one on the passenger side dash in place of the glove box, which was eliminated.

The 4.0L engine was introduced in the 1990 model year (MY) and I believe at that time the transmission was changed from the hydro-mechanical ZF 4HP22 to the electronically-controlled ZF 4HP24 with Sport Mode. The 12-cylinder cars used a GM transmission.

I forget the years, but sometime between '90 and '92 some cars were equipped with "automatic seat belts" that caused owners a lot of frustration.

I can't remember if the climate control system was revised in '90 or later, but the system is marginally better in the later cars.

The original door handles were fragile, especially on the early cars. By now many of those have been replaced with the stronger revised design, but broken handles are something to look carefully for when shopping for an XJ40.

The sound system in our '93 is definitely better than the one in our '88, but I had to replace all the speakers eventually because the foam cone surrounds all deteriorate and I seem to recall that two tweeters failed, one in the dash and one in the parcel shelf.

That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully others will fill in the blanks.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (08-20-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Don - The door speakers in 94's use cloth surrounds (or at least that's what I just removed from the parts car)
BTW just re-surrounded a pair of Bostons from the early 90's (foamies too)

Larry

Old 06-27-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Don - The door speakers in 94's use cloth surrounds (or at least that's what I just removed from the parts car)
BTW just re-surrounded a pair of Bostons from the early 90's (foamies too)

Larry,

Thanks for that clarification. I may have been thinking of the rear woofers that had foam surrounds?

Are the Bostons auto speakers or home audio speakers?

Don

Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Larry,

Thanks for that clarification. I may have been thinking of the rear woofers that had foam surrounds?

Are the Bostons auto speakers or home audio speakers?

Don
Don, haven't got to the rears yet, will let you know what I find!

The Bostons are a pair of old HD7 home audio speakers, re-foaming was a breeze - Good as new again

Larry

Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Don, I took the rear seat out of the Sovereign today and it doesn't appear to have any speakers under the rear seat - I guess it's only the VDP's that has the premium sound system, i.e. woofers ...

Larry

Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Don, I took the rear seat out of the Sovereign today and it doesn't appear to have any speakers under the rear seat - I guess it's only the VDP's that has the premium sound system, i.e. woofers ...

I'm on the road so I can't go look at the '93, but it's possible I'm thinking of the '88 Sovereign having woofers below the front edge of the rear seat. And I don't know that our VDP has what could have been called a "premium" sound system even in '93, although the tweeters in the dash and parcel shelf do improve high end clarity and the sense of stereo separation.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a 93' or 94' model.
Interesting enough I've never owned any car with airbags in it, and I'm somewhat curious whether I should. Then again, I've never been in a head on collisions (knock on wood), but I've heard they can sometimes do more harm then good. I could definitely say I would miss my glove box too.

I'm looking into getting Vanden Plas this time for sure. I enjoy the prospect of romantic dining at a view point in the back of the Jaguar on a hot summer night. Haha.
Of course I'm more concerned about reliability. I undoubtedly will take the smooth ride over the acceleration but I'm looking for very specific model.

Ideally, I want black seats, black paint, round headlights, and a reliable ride with cruise control, air conditioner, and only 5 digits on the odometer when I buy it. I know the newer years can be retrofitted with the quad headlights, but at the rate of it all a big part of me wonders that I shouldn't just try to find another 88' or 89' and have it fitted with a new sound system, engine, braking, and transmission conversion, and the suspension system changed to conventional shocks.

One guy here on the forums said he'd done the conversion to standard shocks and had no regrets but I can't help but wonder how it would impact the ride. If I did do that, I would still have the electric dash which I love, though it could end up being a bother, and most of the advancements in the newer years wouldn't matter as much.

I got my Haynes repair manual in the mail today, so I suppose I could give that a browse and find some of the nuanced details in there. Any other suggestions on what to look for in buying would be greatly appreciated.

As I stated earlier, I am considering the newer ones simply for reliability, being told the line 6 is bullet proof. If I had to do less repairs, and I could take it in for easy routine maintenance, keeping it authentic might be in my best interest.
I'm really just after a daily driver that stands out, rides like a cloud, and can be modified to be as luxurious as a Bently Mulsanne. Well, maybe not that luxurious but nice nonetheless.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hollowitz
I'm considering a 93' or 94' model.
Interesting enough I've never owned any car with airbags in it, and I'm somewhat curious whether I should. Then again, I've never been in a head on collisions (knock on wood), but I've heard they can sometimes do more harm then good. I could definitely say I would miss my glove box too.

I'm looking into getting Vanden Plas this time for sure. I enjoy the prospect of romantic dining at a view point in the back of the Jaguar on a hot summer night. Haha.
Of course I'm more concerned about reliability. I undoubtedly will take the smooth ride over the acceleration but I'm looking for very specific model.

Ideally, I want black seats, black paint, round headlights, and a reliable ride with cruise control, air conditioner, and only 5 digits on the odometer when I buy it. I know the newer years can be retrofitted with the quad headlights, but at the rate of it all a big part of me wonders that I shouldn't just try to find another 88' or 89' and have it fitted with a new sound system, engine, braking, and transmission conversion, and the suspension system changed to conventional shocks.

One guy here on the forums said he'd done the conversion to standard shocks and had no regrets but I can't help but wonder how it would impact the ride. If I did do that, I would still have the electric dash which I love, though it could end up being a bother, and most of the advancements in the newer years wouldn't matter as much.

I got my Haynes repair manual in the mail today, so I suppose I could give that a browse and find some of the nuanced details in there. Any other suggestions on what to look for in buying would be greatly appreciated.

As I stated earlier, I am considering the newer ones simply for reliability, being told the line 6 is bullet proof. If I had to do less repairs, and I could take it in for easy routine maintenance, keeping it authentic might be in my best interest.
I'm really just after a daily driver that stands out, rides like a cloud, and can be modified to be as luxurious as a Bently Mulsanne. Well, maybe not that luxurious but nice nonetheless.
Sorry mate, mine's not for sale at any price!!

anyway it's the wrong colour, has too many miles and it's got the big squarbzies

Larry