XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Door handle repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 01:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door handle repair

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This repair works on the door lock when the flipper or handle is at an angle, in other words up at the front and catches on the door handle well.

Remove the door trim as previously described in this Forum.

Remove the door handle from the vehicle, taking care when the handle assembly becomes free it can damage the paintwork, I found a piece of towelling placed under the handle, held in position by masking tape worked well.

Remove the rubber cover, inspect the shaft/pin and the two brackets, which hold the latter in position. The front one has usually come adrift/sheared or in other words the casting has given way.

Check the position of the two springs its easy to forget on reassembly where they fit, remove the latter.

Remove the spring clip from the shaft/pin and slide the latter from the damaged section.

Inspect the break checking for dirt, remove if necessary.

Obtain a quality adhesive, and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Glue the damaged section back into position; before the adhesive sets slide the shaft/pin back into the original position, ensure it moves freely, and allow the adhesive to set.

Obtain a section of angle aluminium or steel. Approx 3/4" x 1/16". Cut to size approx. 5/8".

Observe on the overhang of the shaft/pin a small space on the base of the door handle well(Interior) you will note obstructions to laying the angle flat when you try to place the angle against the shaft/pin. What we are endeavouring to do is take the load off the original damaged section and replace with the angle.

File and cut away until the angle will lay flat, press against the shaft/pin and mark the spot where the two come together, this must be accurate, no slop when the hole is drilled, and the shaft/pin goes through. Best to measure the shaft/pin with a micrometre or vernier, and match to a corresponding drill bit.

With the angle and pin in position, replace the spring clip, drill a hole in the angle and handle well; secure with a (I used a 1/16" drill and rivet) fastener, you will note the that the fastener protrudes to the exterior of the handle well, but is not visible and does not interfere with the operation of the flipper/door handle.

Refit the two springs, I only fitted one found it worked quite well, and it did not add stress to the new fitting.

Mine has been working for the past three months, best of luck. Ian

Note: I used the thin aluminium angle purely as a trial, as it worked so well left well alone. "If it isn't broke don't fix it". How it will wear time with be the judge.

Last edited by iratcliffe; 06-11-2016 at 03:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jerry_hoback (06-11-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Thanks for posting your success story, iratcliffe. For visual learners, see the links below for photos of how other owners have repaired their handles:
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page
Cheers, Don