XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems

Hello!
Im new to the Jaguar world as well as to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes! Thank you!
So, I just bought my first XJ40.
Ive got a few problems and hopefully someone can help me. So here goes:
1) The radio doesn't work. If i turn the car on, the lights around the volume button light up but not the screen. Also the security light is always off, contrary to many other radio problems ive read about. What could the issue be here?
2) The fuel gauge isn't working. I'd guess I just have to replace the sensor.
3) The centre locking doesnt work. If i close either the driver side door or the passenger side, it closes said door but nothing else. The boot just howls as if its trying to close but doesn't actually.
4) Maybe has something to do with point 3. The boot only opens from the inside button in the glovebox.
5) The brake light comes on when pressing the brake pedal
6) The window switches click but dont roll down.
7) Only the high setting of the climate control works, the others are very little to no air at all. All windows fog up and i dont think the air con works.

That should be it. I know, its a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jan

Old 05-12-2023, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 817 Posts

Hi Jan
Im not quite the expert some are but ill have a bash-
1. If your battery has been disconnected you may simply need to enter its security code. My code is handwritten inside the cover of my owners manual.
2. Do you mean that it doesnt move at all? are you sure there is gas ?(I know, but it has to be asked)
3.Does locking with the key work for all doors or are you only trying the button? Do the other doors act like they are trying, or just nothing? The remote trunk actuator is junk. Mine makes the same noise on one, and the other is unplugged.
4. Again, does it work with the key in the trunk cylinder? Is the trunk cylinder stuck in the lock position so that the push-lever under the lip is disabled?
5. Does the brake light stay on as long as the pedal is pushed? A momentary light may be fixed by bleeding the system.
6. the switches will get clicky that way. They are unnecessarily complex and i have simply replaced them in the past. This spring i had another clicker and figured i would try fixing it. It wasnt too bad, and the switch now works. Make sure the rears arent just locked out by the switch on the drivers door though.
7. Needs more deduction, as there are 2 separate fans and if one isnt working nothing is right. Also the defrost flaps tend to break off and fall into the controller vanes.
Do you have any dash lights other than the brake light?
Good luck, focus on one thing at a time and youll get it figured out.

Old 05-13-2023, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
Hi Jan
Im not quite the expert some are but ill have a bash-
1. If your battery has been disconnected you may simply need to enter its security code. My code is handwritten inside the cover of my owners manual.
2. Do you mean that it doesnt move at all? are you sure there is gas ?(I know, but it has to be asked)
3.Does locking with the key work for all doors or are you only trying the button? Do the other doors act like they are trying, or just nothing? The remote trunk actuator is junk. Mine makes the same noise on one, and the other is unplugged.
4. Again, does it work with the key in the trunk cylinder? Is the trunk cylinder stuck in the lock position so that the push-lever under the lip is disabled?
5. Does the brake light stay on as long as the pedal is pushed? A momentary light may be fixed by bleeding the system.
6. the switches will get clicky that way. They are unnecessarily complex and i have simply replaced them in the past. This spring i had another clicker and figured i would try fixing it. It wasnt too bad, and the switch now works. Make sure the rears arent just locked out by the switch on the drivers door though.
7. Needs more deduction, as there are 2 separate fans and if one isnt working nothing is right. Also the defrost flaps tend to break off and fall into the controller vanes.
Do you have any dash lights other than the brake light?
Good luck, focus on one thing at a time and youll get it figured out.

Thank you very much!!
1) The battery has been disconnected prior to me buying the car, yes. The radio doesn't even display the code message, it just lights up green behind the volume knob, that's it. I tried typing the code in but nothing happend.
2) Yes, its filled up to the top.
3) I don't have a knob to press. I can only use my key to manually lock the doors. When locking either the driver side door or passenger side it only closes the door where the key is inserted. No other door makes a noise. Just the boot squealing can be heard.
4) No, the key doesn't work when inserted and turned. The button is stuck. The boot can only be opened from inside the glovebox.
5) Yes. The light stays on. Thanks, ill give it a try and bleed the brake lines!
6) Ok thank you, ill see of i can repair them. I already have the driver side one removed.
7) ok, ill see if i can find anything else regarding the fans. As of now i only know that all windows fog up. The rear screen doesn't seem to get any air whatsoever.

Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2023, 11:21 AM
Received 8,296 Likes on 5,007 Posts

You will probably get more responses if you would include MAKE,MODEL,YEAR because there are basically 3 iterations of XJ40.(at least in North America)
88/89 3.6 liter
90-92 4.0
93/94 4.0

They differ in MANY WAYS!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2023, 12:16 PM

Ok thanks. I have a 1992 4.0 european XJ40

Old 05-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 817 Posts

Im wondering since Ive never seen one, if the European spec cars do not have the door lock knobs as pictured. On my cars, when I push down or pull up on these all the doors lock or unlock accordingly. This is the left front door. Also, when the doors are locked and you want to get out, simply pulling the driver inside door handle unlocks all doors.

Also, on thinking more, Maybe try shooting some penetrant oil (wd-40) into the trunk lock cylinder and gently work it with the key to see if it will free up? Otherwise remove that square cover panel inside the trunk lid and disconnect the lock cylinder rod from the lock so that you can set that lock to "not locked" and be able to use the exterior release lever, at least until you can get the lock cylinder sorted. Just throwing out ideas....

Old 05-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Received 1,092 Likes on 643 Posts

Those fan speed controls are done through a DARLINGTON transistor on each fan unit.
If the transistor fails you will only get off and full on and no intermediate speeds.
These fan units are a pain to remove and replace. Follow the workshop manual!.
The transistors are relatively cheap around the $5 mark.
Cheers

Old 05-14-2023, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
Im wondering since Ive never seen one, if the European spec cars do not have the door lock knobs as pictured. On my cars, when I push down or pull up on these all the doors lock or unlock accordingly. This is the left front door. Also, when the doors are locked and you want to get out, simply pulling the driver inside door handle unlocks all doors.

Also, on thinking more, Maybe try shooting some penetrant oil (wd-40) into the trunk lock cylinder and gently work it with the key to see if it will free up? Otherwise remove that square cover panel inside the trunk lid and disconnect the lock cylinder rod from the lock so that you can set that lock to "not locked" and be able to use the exterior release lever, at least until you can get the lock cylinder sorted. Just throwing out ideas....
My XJ has the same locks but they do not seem to work together. Only one door closes when pushinh one down. Maybe the centre locking computer or relais, whatever it is, is broken on mine. I'll try to find it.

Thank you for the tip with the trunk opener!

Old 05-14-2023, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
Those fan speed controls are done through a DARLINGTON transistor on each fan unit.
If the transistor fails you will only get off and full on and no intermediate speeds.
These fan units are a pain to remove and replace. Follow the workshop manual!.
The transistors are relatively cheap around the $5 mark.
Cheers
Doesn't sound like too much fun. I'll have a look at the workshop manual.