XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

EXH light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 AM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default EXH light

Can anyone tell me what the EXH light means that is located beside the steering wheel stalk? It is right beside the headlamp switch. Mine just started shining brightly tonight. I cannot find any reference to it in the only manual I have.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by British Ride
Can anyone tell me what the EXH light means that is located beside the steering wheel stalk? It is right beside the headlamp switch. Mine just started shining brightly tonight. I cannot find any reference to it in the only manual I have.
AFAIK there is an extra sensor fitted to Japanese models that monitors the exhaust temperature, but I've never heard of the issue on a N.American model ...however ...

I was curious about your problem and did a quick google, EXH is the exhaust warning light and seems like these things monitor fuel mixture.
Rich mix temp is low and lean is high. Too lean/hot and the warning comes on before something goes bang.

It might be the sensor acting up but maybe you're running lean and the cats are getting too hot?

here's what wikipedia says about these systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust...perature_gauge

I also stumbled across these 2 posts on a Mercedes forum - maybe some help?

Apparently exhaust over temperature lights are a Japanese requirement - and somehow is to do with cat working or not. From memory, they're a fusible link; once gone, then not resettable without replacement. personally, I'd find the wire and disconnect it (or remove the bulb).
and

My mates got an old jaguar xj6 and it says in the manual the EXH temp light comes on if the cat gets to 900degs C, i randomly stumbled across this last week. Until then i had never heard of a EXH temp light.

If its the same for the 190's, god knows whats wrong there. 900C, thats like as hot as the the sun or something.
I also saw a post about the light coming on when the cat is blocked, so maybe that's the problem?

Let us know, eh?

all the best

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Default EXH Light

Thanks Lawrence. Mine is a LHD Jaguar of Japan. I have the import papers and that is correct. This light came on right after I washed the car and exhaust tips. I wonder if I got water in the cat. Seems odd but definitely occurred right after washing. I will check further. Ron.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Default EXH Light

Lawrence, I think I may have solved it-or at least come up with a more likely source. After I washed the car and before starting it I connected a loose connector under the dash LHS. Nothing seemed to change so I left it. Later I noticed the light was on dimly. Supposedly this means running rich. Today I discovered how to show the instantaneous fuel economy. It is 9-11Km/L or about 23-29mpg according to the mph display ( should be Imperial) The mileage doesnt change much in town or on the highway. I doubt it is running rich. I suspect it is a past fault. If I understand correctly the cat must be changed to correct the light. I see a disconnected connector in my near future. Thanks for you help. Ron.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 12,945 Likes on 6,468 Posts

Hi Ron,

You haven't told us the year and engine displacement of your car, or I might suggest another method to try, but one thing you could do is disconnect the battery negative cable for at least 30 seconds, and perhaps several minutes might be even better. Then reconnect the cable and start the car to see if the code has extinguished.

It helps if you will add to your signature line the year, model and engine, and in your case that your car is a Japan-spec model. You can do so in your User Control Panel, which you access by hovering your cursor over your username in the upper right corner of this page (near the lower right corner of the blue top banner). Click on the first option in the dropdown menu, "User CP," then look for Edit Signature in the left column of options. Don't forget to Save Signature after you've added your info.

Cheers,

Don