XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Fuel Fail 47

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Fail 47

Have been reading on forum trying to find out what fuel fail 47 is.What is the idle speed control valve coil 2? Is this a relay or something else? Not sure what is bad the car does start a little hard but runs just fine. Shes a 1994 xj6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All on forum

Old 03-13-2016, 05:56 PM

Just a update took car to store today still started hard but the check engine light was off and no code 47 fuel fail on vcm. I haven't driven car since friday.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,188 Posts

You probably had a bad connection to the IAC Valve - maybe unplugging or wiggling the wires "cured" the issue?
Always a good idea to check/clean all the electrical connections once in a while.

BTW if the IACV does turn out to be faulty, a new one from a Renault Megane fits a 94 and can be had for very little coin ..I think mine cost me something like $12 on ebay a few years ago (although it probably wasn't necessary as it turned out)

Larry

The following 3 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (03-15-2016), Don B (03-14-2016), jimbo94 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 13,033 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Hi jimbo,

On our '93 the most common cause of FF47 has been corrosion on the grounds used by the Engine Control Module: the ones that connect to two of the intake manifold studs and the one on the bulkhead/firewall behind the cylinder head. Another possible cause that I have suspected is low battery voltage or corrosion on power connections between the battery, fuse boxes, firewall jump start stud, alternator and starter.

Like Larry, I replaced the stepper motor on our IACV with an inexpensive one for the Renault Megane, but I'm not certain I really needed to do that either. My original stepper motor may have just needed to be cleaned. But FF47 indicates an electrical problem, not an air flow problem. If the code reappears, try cleaning those grounds. The photos at the links below will give you more info on grounds, battery power connections and fuse boxes than you ever wanted to know:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Thank you Lawrence and Don for you're help. will have to wait till it warms up here as my garage isn't heated and don't feel like dressing that warm to work on car.Thanks Don for the pictures will be very helpful in finding some of those grounds

Old 09-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo94
Have been reading on forum trying to find out what fuel fail 47 is.What is the idle speed control valve coil 2? Is this a relay or something else? Not sure what is bad the car does start a little hard but runs just fine. Shes a 1994 xj6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All on forum
How long has it been since your fuel filter has been replaced. It could be a restricted filter, a weak fuel pump, old spark plugs, leaky fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure after shut off causing a heat soak vapor lock in the injector rail. Those are just a few of the most common causes for a slow start. If the engine is turning over slowly then it could be a weak battery. It will need to be checked out by a competent technician to determine the problem. It is also very possible that there may be multiple items causing the problem working in unison.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irlsunny
How long has it been since your fuel filter has been replaced. It could be a restricted filter, a weak fuel pump, old spark plugs, leaky fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure after shut off causing a heat soak vapor lock in the injector rail. Those are just a few of the most common causes for a slow start. If the engine is turning over slowly then it could be a weak battery. It will need to be checked out by a competent technician to determine the problem. It is also very possible that there may be multiple items causing the problem working in unison.
Sorry, i forgot one other very probable cause. The 1994 XJ6 had a problem with oil film build up at the throttle plate. You need to get some Berryman's B-12 carburetor and choke cleaner or throttle plate cleaner and get an old tooth brush. Remove the air boot from the throttle housing and hold the throttle plate wide open (engine off) spray the cleaner in the throat of the throttle housing then use the tooth brush to assist scrubbing away and loosening the gummy build up in the throat of the housing the also scrub the plate clean also. You may need to spray several times to keep the throat and plate wet while you are scrubbing. After the scrubbing spray the affected areas till they are pristeenly clean. Re-attach the throttle housing boot from the air filter housing and start the car with your foit holding the throttle wide open. If will be hard to start the first time because of the cleaner causing a very rich mixture. The engine will run rough for a few seconds till the cleaner has been burned off. This little operation should help you very much. Let me know how it does for you.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 13,033 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Hi irlsunny,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don