XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

fuel pump won't run

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump won't run

I just purchased a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 from a friend. I almost got it home and apparently the fuel pump quit due to a lack of electricity. It is a Lucas pump. I think it works. I took it out and put current to it (observing the correct polarities). It vibrated nicely. I only seems to work if the current makes and breaks. If the current is constant, it does not run.

There is good fuel flow out of both tanks. I have cut out the switching valve and am plumbing a line directly to the pump from one side. I think the switching valve works but am not sure. So it seemed best to cut it out. The fuel was very old and probably not very clean. I replaced the fuel filter.

No gas is getting to the fuel filter. I tried taking the hose off the fuel filter and seeing if any gas went into the trunk. I turned on the pump for about 3 seconds (I had previously determined the line was bone dry after the pump, so I wasn't too worried about gas in the trunk). Sure enough, after 3 seconds, there was no gas in the trunk.

Since it appears the pump is good (as best as I can determine with my limited understanding), it seems like there is difficulty with a fuse, relay, or similar device (I have checked the leads on the fuel pump to make sure they are properly connected, they are). Where should I look for the next electrical device upline from the pump. Please remember, the car WAS running. The way it died indicated a lack of fuel, which is consistent with dry fuel hoses after the pump.

The pump was put on by my friend when he had the car. He bought it used. I can put on a new pump if needed, but I would rather replace a fuse or a relay, or similar item. If I had a second person, I could put a volt meter on the pump leads and see if I am getting even any voltage during starting. I know that the voltage is cut out if the car does not start. But right now, I have no way to check if the pump motor is getting any voltage during the starting process. I don't think it is. The engine ran very well for about 25 miles, then just slowed down and died (apparently for lack of fuel).

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thanks in advance,

Neal Lewis

Old 10-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump wont run

Well Neal, sounds like you have a really good grasp of the mechanics of your car. I have no clue and definitely cannot help you with this, but Im sure one of our experts will be by soon with the advice you need.[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum. Good luck. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome....

Caddy work your magic..

Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the people who responded to my question about the fuel pump on my 1987 XJ6. There is an excellent FAQ that I am going to follow to trouble shoot the problem as soon as I get the car to home. Now it's just getting the car transported a few miles and home.

Thanks and best wishes,

Neal Lewis

Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome
ConsiderIt Done ,Dennis lol

Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Tap the intake tube of the pump on a clean, white piece of paper and see if you don't a little collection of redish particals. If the car sat for awhile you may have a nice collection of rust in the tank. The pump may be pulling as hard as it can, but it can push the rust through. Just a thought.