XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

fuel tank hose issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel tank hose issue

I took it upon myself to put my gas tank back into my car after my mechanic left the job half done and stopped returning my calls. I managed to put the tank back with little issue but when i tried to turn the car on it was idling roughly so i inspected the connections and found out that the mechanic butchered the return line when he was trying to pull the tank out. Now i am looking for the return line and am not having much luck. the car is a '91 vanden Plas with the fuel pump in the tank. Sorry for the long post but I felt it would explain some things. i would really like to get this vehicle running soon since its my only at the moment. any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Mmmm, just checked my parts book, and EBC4356 is what you are looking for, BUT, Jaguar have it listed as NLA (no longer available), which is annoying at best.

I would give XK Unlimited in San Loius Obispo a try, as they have helped me over many years with "odd" items.

Failing that a wrecking yard, and maybe even look outside the Jaguar brand, as many different manufacturers would have used that design in and around that year, I think??. I do know the later X300 "quick connect" style are very common.

The following users liked this post:
bert_vdp (02-10-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM

i called xk unltd and they directed me to Jaguar heaven. Neither have the part. i did wonder if you've heard of a repair kit for this hose?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Default Fuel tank hose repairs....

I had a similar problem w/y '94 xj6. the two hose on the bottom side of the tank were damaged, and leaking fuel. The hoses are held to the tank w/ some "hairpin" fasteners. You might try the following as a repair, if you cannot locate the proper original type hoses. remove the hoses from the tank bottom. One goes from the tank to the frame rail filter. Using a Dremel tool, cut the rubber/metal part of the line from the metal end collars, leaving only a hose barb remaining on each end. Use high pressure fuel line from the parts store, and fuel injection type hose clamps to make a repair. be sure to leave enough length for working the new unit into place. Repeat w/ the second line. You will have to cut the metal line at some point forward of the rear axle assembly and near the frame rail. Repair the line same as the first line, and for a new union at the metal line that was cut. Double the clamps if you like. this worked on my '94 xj6, and have had no problems. Good luck! David.

The following users liked this post:
bert_vdp (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM

thanks. I was thinking about going that route after visiting about a combination of 15 hydraulic and speed shops that said they couldn't help. I was about to post a question asking if that kind of "repair" would be feasible. You just answered my prayers.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Default Fuel hose connections....

Bert_vdp.... Some times one has to improvise until a "proper" repair can be made. As I have owned almost every type and "one year only" oddball car to come along ( Yugo, Reatta, Edsel, Borgward, Fiat, etc.) I've had to improvise a lot. The "repairs" can usually be returned to original type when a part comes along. Just do the "repairs" to the best of your ability when doing them. David.