XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Green Mineral Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green Mineral Oil leak

Hi there,

I have a 1992 Jaguar 4.0 liter engine and it is leaking the green mineral oil.

i notice that it leaks on the top cover that screw on the container.

When i drove a few miles everyday i notice a green oil spilling on top side of the cover itself.

is there something i can do on these to tighten it or i really need to change the container itself?.

your help is highly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts

kcidmad,

You might try posting a want ad in the forum sections (main page at the bottom) and see if someone has a damaged container with a good cap.

Is you cap cracked? Sounds odd that it is seeping out the top. For a temporary measure, you may want to go to an auto parts house and get a product like JB Weld for plastic repair or water weld until you find a good cap.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/surfa...ns/automotive/

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 01-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob for the reply.

I am going out this weekend to the junkyard to see if they have a good container that i can use.

now to my next question. If i need to replace this container, what are the steps necessary to do that?

Is it just a straightforward thing of just emptying the container, then unscrew them including the two host that goes down and then refit back.

Do i need to do something else special?

please advise?

again thank you in advance.

kcidmad

Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Are you referring to your power steering reservoir? You know, when leaking power steering fluid it looks greenish, are you sure it is mineral oil and not power steering fluid?

Get a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out of the reservoir before removing the hoses. Be careful when removing them, they are on very tight because there are nipples on the extensions coming off the plastic reservoir, don't break them.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
Are you referring to your power steering reservoir? You know, when leaking power steering fluid it looks greenish, are you sure it is mineral oil and not power steering fluid?

Get a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out of the reservoir before removing the hoses. Be careful when removing them, they are on very tight because there are nipples on the extensions coming off the plastic reservoir, don't break them.
I'm not sure if this problem has been resolved yet or not. Mine has also been leaking for some time, and there is evidence that it was leaking at the reservoir, but I couldn't find any evidence of cracks in the reservoir. Checking the clamps, I discovered that one was slightly loose & wouldn't tighten. I replaced the clamp & so far can't find any evidence of leakage.

Yup, a $.50 clamp has cost me quite a bit in mineral oil that leaked out.