XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Having a problem with my Jag.Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a problem with my Jag.Please help.

Hi guys.I own a 1987 (December) Jaguar XJ6 with 67k miles on it and love this car but recently something went wrong with it.Transmission (automatic) feels like being stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear,the car has a problem to move from parking position (is VERY sluggish),will not go faster than 30 mph no matter what and RPM go to 3000-3500, also,when started she smells like something is burning.I don't want to junk this car because I really like it but at the same time I am in a "tight spot" now and I can't afford taking it to any mechanic to let him play with it at the cost of few or more hundred of dollars.The problem occured when I drove the car after she was sitting for like 2 weeks.Before that,from time to time I had a problem with gear lever not going into P position,I mean lever was going into P but the car was indicating ("alarm" sound) that it was not in P and I could not start the car.Don't know if it does relate to my Jag's recent problem.Also,is my car in the infamous limp mode?Guys if any of you has a clue what might be wrong with my car please respond.Cheers.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,930 Likes on 7,181 Posts

A December 1987 built XJ6 would be the "XJ40" car. I suggest posting in that section.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,863 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jagus87,

I've moved your question from the XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III section to the XJ40 section. The guys here with the same model will be able to advise on your issues.

Jaguar confusingly applied XJ6 to a number of models from 1968 to 1997 which is why the factory, dealers and the forum use the factory model designations to distinguish them.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jagus87 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Jagus87:
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have several things going one. Burning smell is likely cam gasket leaking onto the manifold or something like that. You could consider tightening those screws and cleaning that area up a little bit. There's 8 or 10 of them right on top of the engine. (Snug, not tight!)

The finicky gear lever, to me, sounds like it is out of adjustment. I believe there's a cable that can be adjusted to make sure the car is in the proper gear and that the rotary switch is registering that gear. I don't think that would be a huge expense, but you may also need to have somebody look at it familiar with this era Jaguar.

Finally, your cars driving symptoms do sound very much like it is in 'limp mode.' Is transmission warning light on? Sometimes the code can be cancelled by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds or so. (Remember to keep the radio code handy if you've got a stock unit, otherwise you'll lose your radio function!) Doing so clears the codes. If this works, it is likely that your car will eventually do it again when the same problem reoccurs. One of the traditional fixes for this includes a good cleaning or replacement of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS.) Might want to do some research on that in forum archives here and on the internet.

Other people's thoughts??

Cheers,
Scott
PS - Greetings from the Midwest Region of the forum!

The following users liked this post:
Jagus87 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for quick response!Scott,the burning smell appeared only after I drove the car in what is supposedly limp mode.It wasn't present before I had this tranny problem.As for adjusting tranny cables do I do that from underneath the car or from inside of it after removing upholstery?Is it easy?I am asking because I am good at taking things apart but not so good at putting them back together.Car still has reverse,park and drive it's just that she's seems not shifting from which ever gear in D is "stuck" in and it feels like 3rd.
I do not think I have transmission warning light in my car.I mean all kinds of warnings appear on the dashboard but all of them were there since I bought the car 2 years ago.Regarding disconnecting battery,do I only disconnect negative?I tried disconnecting both terminals and it didn't help a bit.Thanks again for your input!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Jagus87:
No, just the negative cable is sufficient. No tranny light. Hmmm... What is the character/quality of the transmission fluid? It should be a nice, clear, brightish red. If it's brown and burnt smelling, you may have problems. The level needs to be checked while the engine is warm and running and after you've put the gear lever through the gears once or twice. Perhaps this could be the source of your smell??
Another question: when you put the gear lever into the various gears, do the appropriate gears illuminate - PRND12?
I'm not sure about the gear cable adjustment. That's way above me, but I *think* it's done from underneath...

If others don't respond with more helpful info, and if it were me, I'd consider taking it to a good, independent mechanic who hopefully knows Jags. Tell him you don't have much money and are mostly looking for advice. Maybe he will see something obvious or at least help point you in the right direction... Just a thought. If the car runs well otherwise, it might be a few hundred bucks well spent.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Jagus87: What is the character/quality of the transmission fluid? It should be a nice, clear, brightish red. If it's brown and burnt smelling, you may have problems. The level needs to be checked while the engine is warm and running and after you've put the gear lever through the gears once or twice. Perhaps this could be the source of your smell??

Scott

That tranny light not being on is puzzling. Limp mode will also trigger a FF on the VCM. Fluid as noted above could be the culprit. I had an 90 XJ6 that would roll backwards on an incline in park. No tranny light triggered. The car needed fluid, it was at the "add" mark. I added, drove, then parked on a severe incline , the car stood right there. Don't underestimate the transmission fluid.