XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Here to show off my 88 xj6 jag (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM
88 XJ6
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here to show off my 88 xj6 jag (pics)

THIS IS MY 1988 XJ6 3.6 WITH 140,000 miles. THIS IS MY BABY!!! I CALL HER ELIZABETH, LOL. SHE TURNS HEADS WHEN I TAKE HER OUT!

IM TAKING MY TIME WITH THIS LOVELY PROJECT BUT THE PATIENCE WILL BE WELL WORTH IT. JUST GOT HER DETAILED AND FIGURED I'D SHARE SOME PICS OF HER. IM ALSO SHARING PICS OF THE INTERIOR AND UP UNDER THE HOOD FOR OPEN IDEAS ON WHAT I NEED REPLACED OR NEED TO FIND OR IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE QUESTIONS OR SOLUTIONS TO SOMETHING YOU GUYS SEE WHATS WRONG. NOTHINGS WRONG AS FAR AS IT CRANKING UP AND GOING TO POINT A TO POINT B BUT I HAVEN'T GOT A CHANCE TO GET ITS FULL POTENTIAL EVEN THO ITS FAST AS HELL. I ALSO HAVE A 15' audio pipe SUB IN THE TRUNK TO PROVIDE THE BEAT WITH A 1500 KICKER AMP SO YOU KNOW WHAT THE
AT SOUNDS LIKE. SO FAR I HAVE CHANGED WIRES AND SPARK PLUGS. I REPLACED THE ROTOR AND DISTR. CAP. I HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER....ALL THE 3 BELTS AND CHANGED THE OIL. I HAVE YET TO CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP WHICH IS NEEDED AND HAVEN'T PUT REAR STRUTS ON IT OR CHANGED THE BRAKE PADS, SENSORS OR GOT A NEW BRAKE BOOSTER. THESE ARE THE 5 DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEMS THAT LIGHT UP ON MY VCM SCREEN WHEN I POWER ON AND WILL BE SOLVED SHORTLY THEN I WILL BE READY TO PAINT AND EMBROIDERY AND PLACE THESE GOLD DUB FLOATERS ON HER
​​​HER. HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY AND ALL FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED. THANX JAGGERS...✌

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaguar Dre:
93SB (07-28-2017), SNG Barratt USA (07-25-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi Jaguar Dre,

Thanks for posting the photos! Elizabeth has great potential and I'm so happy that you are giving her so much love. I see you have your priorities straight and installed a subwoofer before you worried about pesky safety issues like the brake system.

The Washer Fluid Low warning lamp may just mean the windshield washer fluid is low (duh!), but it can also mean a problem with the fluid level sensor or a leak in the fluid reservoir.

The Low Brake Pressure warning means there is a problem with the hydraulic brake power assist system. There are several possible causes, such as low fluid, or a failed/failing accumulator, charge switch or low pressure warning switch. The manual at the link below describes all the components and operation and repair procedures:

Power Hydraulic System Manual

I notice some silver duct tape wrapped around a crankcase breather hose. If that hose is cracked, it would be prudent to find a new or good used replacement since leaks in the breather hoses behave just like leaks in intake plumbing to allow unmetered air into the system that leads to lean running.

One other suggestion: I know you're excited about Elizabeth, but typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered SHOUTING. It is also difficult to read in extended passages. So please use proper upper and lower case letters with punctuation and line breaks often to give our eyes a break.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-28-2017 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (07-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 817 Posts

You got her going! Great job. For the seats, I might just find an upholsterer and have them all done. I used to "have a guy" who worked out of his garage and I just dropped the seats off to him then did my carpet and trim while they were gone. I think that "Y" shaped crank vent hose that leads to the oil fill tube is available from one of our sponsors. I got one a couple of years ago and it wasn't too expensive. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:14 PM
88 XJ6

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
You got her going! Great job. For the seats, I might just find an upholsterer and have them all done. I used to "have a guy" who worked out of his garage and I just dropped the seats off to him then did my carpet and trim while they were gone. I think that "Y" shaped crank vent hose that leads to the oil fill tube is available from one of our sponsors. I got one a couple of years ago and it wasn't too expensive. Good luck.
Thanks jerry, i appreciate that. I will find an upholsterer eventually. I've already went to one guy who wanted 3000 for the whole complete restoration in Fire Red. Not too bad but im still shopping around for different quotes first. If you still have info on where to locate the crank vent hose for my model please provide me with that info. It will be greatly appreciated.
Peace, Jaguar Dre.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:52 PM
88 XJ6

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Jaguar Dre,

Thanks for posting the photos! Elizabeth has great potential and I'm so happy that you are giving her so much love. I see you have your priorities straight and installed a subwoofer before you worried about pesky safety issues like the brake system.

The Washer Fluid Low warning lamp may just mean the windshield washer fluid is low (duh!), but it can also mean a problem with the fluid level sensor or a leak in the fluid reservoir.

The Low Brake Pressure warning means there is a problem with the hydraulic brake power assist system. There are several possible causes, such as low fluid, or a failed/failing accumulator, charge switch or low pressure warning switch. The manual at the link below describes all the components and operation and repair procedures:

Power Hydraulic System Manual

I notice some silver duct tape wrapped around a crankcase breather hose. If that hose is cracked, it would be prudent to find a new or good used replacement since leaks in the breather hoses behave just like leaks in intake plumbing to allow unmetered air into the system that leads to lean running.

One other suggestion: I know you're excited about Elizabeth, but typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered SHOUTING. It is also difficult to read in extended passages. So please use proper upper and lower case letters with punctuation and line breaks often to give our eyes a break.

Cheers,

Don
Lol Thanks Don for the info and knowledge
Hope it makes you feel like a real big guy using subliminals to tease a first time unexperienced jagger.lol u are right. Being that i already had my second set of subwoofers, i did put them in my second car, that i wasnt currently driving at the time,which was my jag. Now that its on the road i left it in and have fixed everything except the failing, (not failed) brake system on it and that hose. Oh well, i risked it but im still here to tell you about my jag.lol. Luckily, i paid attention in literature/English class and im well aware of capitalization and punctuation and with that being said i notice you left out the comma in between good and used.lol. I wasn't aware that i would be graded on my post professor Don, but its no love lost. I have tough skin and know how to jab back. SO IM SCREAMING, " IT'S ALL GOOD" Peace to you Bro and thanks again for the knowledge, Jaguar Dre.

Last edited by Don B; 06-28-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar Dre
Luckily, i paid attention in literature/English class and im well aware of capitalization and punctuation and with that being said i notice you left out the comma in between good and used.lol. I wasn't aware that i would be graded on my post professor Don...

Funny! The late James Brady, former press secretary under President Reagan, taught me that most English professors prescribe the use of far too many commas, most of which are unnecessary for clarity or comprehension and should be omitted to allow reading at a faster pace. Jim was famous for using scissors to cut superfluous commas out of press release drafts written by his staffers.

My comments were not meant as criticisms so much as suggestions to help encourage others to read your posts. Most members are busy and only spend a few minutes on the forum per visit, and many won't even bother to read posts that are in all capitals or lack reasonable capitalization and punctuation or sufficient line breaks to make reading bearable. Taking the time to create better text removes a barrier that discourages others from reading what you've written and encourages them to more readily offer their knowledge and experience.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
93SB (07-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:22 PM
88 XJ6

Originally Posted by Don B
Funny! The late James Brady, former press secretary under President Reagan, taught me that most English professors prescribe the use of far too many commas, most of which are unnecessary for clarity or comprehension and should be omitted to allow reading at a faster pace. Jim was famous for using scissors to cut superfluous commas out of press release drafts written by his staffers.

My comments were not meant as criticisms so much as suggestions to help encourage others to read your posts. Most members are busy and only spend a few minutes on the forum per visit, and many won't even bother to read posts that are in all capitals or lack reasonable capitalization and punctuation or sufficient line breaks to make reading bearable. Taking the time to create better text removes a barrier that discourages others from reading what you've written and encourages them to more readily offer their knowledge and experience.

Cheers,

Don
I understand but there's ways to do everything. No offense taken.

Last edited by Don B; 06-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

To quote Siri: Ok, heres what I found on the web; That hose part number is EAC7418. It seems to be same across the 3.6/ 4.0 motors. XKS Unlimited has it for under $30, SNG Barratts also has it but their price is somewhat higher. I was unable to find it on Rockauto.com. These 3 are where I get most of the parts that I have to order. I find that it is almost Always worth my time to compare because their pricing is so vastly different. For finding part numbers for most any part on the car check out Jaguarheritage.com. Its Jaguars own parts book and you Can order parts from them but I have yet to do so.

Don B (07-24-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 PM
88 XJ6
Default Thanks Fellaz

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
To quote Siri: Ok, heres what I found on the web; That hose part number is EAC7418. It seems to be same across the 3.6/ 4.0 motors. XKS Unlimited has it for under $30, SNG Barratts also has it but their price is somewhat higher. I was unable to find it on Rockauto.com. These 3 are where I get most of the parts that I have to order. I find that it is almost Always worth my time to compare because their pricing is so vastly different. For finding part numbers for most any part on the car check out Jaguarheritage.com. Its Jaguars own parts book and you Can order parts from them but I have yet to do so.
Thanks Mr HoBack. I really appreciate it.
And Cheers to Don

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 AM
88 XJ6
Default Thanks Fellaz

Thanks Mr Hoback. I ordered the part and replaced it. It fits perfectly. This is th old one...the bottom pic is the new replaced one. I ordered from xkunlimited. I took a while but it finally came in and i got to work asap. Again thanks Jaggers for the knowledge.

Don B (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

You're welcome! Glad you could do it.