XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

How much would this be worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 443 Posts
Default RE: How much would this be worth?

A nice project car , I don't like rust problem either but the best solution is that once you have your jag washed , make sure all the surfaces are dry not wet .

Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Demotion... Save yourself the bother and walk away. Jaguar engine work is costly and requires someone who knows exactly what they're doing. If you really want to venture into a Jaguar, spend the time and effortto get a good one from the start. It pays to have it checked over by a reliable shop and you may go through several before the right one comes along.

Where are you in Canada?

I am likely going to sell my mechanically perfect and otherwise clean 1993 XJ later this year, maybe earlier if I fing the right person and they are serious,so it might be something for you to consider. I'm going to ask about $6000.00 for it as it's a really solid reliable car and has had some recent upgrades like high a good cd player and tinted windows. It british racing green and asside from some minor rust and paint imperfections looks and runs great. I'd doubt you'd find a nicer XJ for the price and it should prove to be reliable for some time. I can't think of anything the car needs right now andIam looking forward to a great summer driving it.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM

I looked at the photos of the car you were originally asking about. To be perfectly honest, it is not in good shape body wise and the inside shots show how much care the owner placed in it. I would not consider putting a north american engine in a jag as the Jaguar engine is the best part of these cars. If you've never drivena Jag, it might seem silly, but once you've driven a Jaguar powered XJ you will understand. Too many people new to Jags seem to think the engine swap is required. Jaguar 4.0s regularily go well beyond 300,000 kms, so I fail to see any real problems with the design or life span. As to the transmission the guy saoid was rebuilt, there should be documentation readily available if actualy had the work done. A trip to the local Jaguar dealer with the serial number of the car will aslo tell you a lot. Don't get ripped off by this guy, there are way better Jags out there. Trust me.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Words to the wise or stupid...

With Jaguars, it's the little things that will kill you. You'd be amazed at the speedand ease aJaguar with so called 'cosmetic' or 'minor' problems can suck money out of your wallet. Even a good one can get expensive. Jags are an great dealif you get the right one. Well below the value of the kind of high end vehicle you are getting. For a luxury car of this calibre they area real deal. Just don't get sucked into a bad one. It will end up costing more than you can imagine, and dissapoint you in all your hopes and expectations in things Jaguar. A good one is more than you can Dream of and something no other car compares to for driving. A bad one?? You'll never grow to hate anything more. With this car you'll likely pour tons of money into it and get nothing back. Of cousre you canalways getit hauled away no chagre by your local scrap yard....