XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hydraulic System Mineral Oil/Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic System Mineral Oil/Fluid

My 1991 Vanden Plas currently takes Castrol HSMO Plus fluid for its power steering. Castrol ceased producing this product several years ago. A replacement product, TRW LM, was produced as a replacement for the Castrol Mineral fluid product. Both products were non-synthetic.Unfortunately, while I have search high and low, I have been unable to find a source to procure either product. Would anyone have a solution for me as to what product I might be able to source or the action to be taken to acquire a suitable replacement fluid to so that I might be able to top-off current fluid levels. While there are synthetic variations of power steering fluids on the market, they should not be mixed with the non-synthetic versions and my preference would be to stick with the non-synthetic version and avoid purging existing minerl oil systems.. Thanks for any assistance that might be provided. I love my Jag. It look brand new and runs great. Just like the day that I purchased it in 1990.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,153 Likes on 810 Posts

Although it says its "for BMW", Pelican Parts lists a mineral oil for power steering and hydraulic systems made by Febi Bilstein. I do not see that it says synthetic.
As an aside, does your self levelling system work?
Good luck!

Old 10-14-2022, 08:03 PM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfbalz
My 1991 Vanden Plas currently takes Castrol HSMO Plus fluid for its power steering. Castrol ceased producing this product several years ago. A replacement product, TRW LM, was produced as a replacement for the Castrol Mineral fluid product. Both products were non-synthetic.Unfortunately, while I have search high and low, I have been unable to find a source to procure either product. Would anyone have a solution for me as to what product I might be able to source or the action to be taken to acquire a suitable replacement fluid to so that I might be able to top-off current fluid levels. While there are synthetic variations of power steering fluids on the market, they should not be mixed with the non-synthetic versions and my preference would be to stick with the non-synthetic version and avoid purging existing minerl oil systems.. Thanks for any assistance that might be provided. I love my Jag. It look brand new and runs great. Just like the day that I purchased it in 1990.
Is your SLS still intact'? If you have already deleted it as MOST people have already done, you need to also remove the front pump, valve block, associated hoses and then flush the system to DEXRON like the 3.6 and 93/94 cars.

If you still have the SLS, then bless your heart for preserving the originality.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:35 PM

Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, it's synthetic. I have what I believe is a line on some of the non-synthetic product both sites are off shore(Australia and the UK) that I need to call to make certain that really do have stock. Time for a break now. I'm spending a bit too much time with this drill. Thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate your efforts.

Me

Old 10-14-2022, 08:41 PM

The SLS is in place. About the only things not original on the car are the tires, the windshield wiper and the engine oil. Thanks for the tip.