XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Installation of aftermarket remote start/alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Installation of aftermarket remote start/alarm

It's been almost two weeks now since I had an alarm system with a remote starter/door & boot lock/unlock installed. I have encountered no issues so far. I was concerned about tapping into the car's electronics but, there has been no issues. It took the shop (Mickey Shores in MI) about 7 hours to do the complete install. I really enjoy the entire Viper package, especially the remote start with its one mile range. It's nice to warm the car up on a cold winter's day.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Very nice!

I have a Viper 5204V that I installed way back when I first got the Jag, to replace the dealer-installed unit which had been disabled due to faulty electronics.

The Vipers (Any DEI unit really) are very customizable and work well. I'm currently only using the alarm portion of mine as I haven't yet gotten the remote starter relays installed and tapped into the correct wires. These cars are VERY difficult to remote start, and they just weren't mean to be. The biggest issue is the low-voltage ignition switch. It's just grounding relays. You can't just tap into the switch wires to start the car like most cars. Most others have the Radio/Heater on two separate circuits, not so with the Jaguar. That means that the radio and power antenna are triggered when you remote start the car, which can be a pain.

It was VERY easy, however, to tie the Viper into the "All-Close" input of the CPU, which allows me to remotely lock all doors and close all windows and the sunroof with my remote. I chose to also install a tilt sensor and external motion sensor as well. I've just started my heated seat retrofit project, so the remote starter is coming back into interest for me...

Nick

Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts

Nick: You are much more adventurous than me. I paid (plus a dozen donuts) because I know my limitations. I see you live in the cold in RI a lot like I do in MI. I have enjoyed the remove start already and so would you, especially once you get your heated seats sorted. Best of luck. Ren