XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Jaguar PDU Manuals & Software

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Good writeup Jon! I think it will help people built their own base station! Meanwhile I was busy with a new batch of boards, all six are going to the UK this week.

Keep up the good work!

Old 12-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Need PDU multimeter leads/probes

Does anyone have a spare set of red and black multimeter probes for the PDU, or alternatively, a schematic of the leads so I can build my own? Or could domeone loan me a set so i can duplicate them? Certain PDU troubleshooting functions for my XJS require them.

Jon

Old 12-04-2022, 11:28 AM
Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

I took mine apart the best I could. It is cracked so I could see inside somewhat without destroying it. The plug end is five wires. The probe end has a button.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. In your first photo, is that the button with the green and yellow wires soldered to it? Or does that contact something underneath it?

In a couple of the other photos, there appears to be a clear tube at the connector. Is that insulation for a resistor?

If you'd be willing to measure between the various pins on the connector and the probe components with a multimeter, that would really be helpful. Also the same for the black probe. Does the black probe also have a button?

Thanks again.
Jon

Old 12-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

It appears the green and yellow wires are to the switch.

The clear tube wire looks like a coaxial. You can see the braided wires

What do you want measured? Resistance? Continuity?

You can bet the coaxial is for the probe tip but I can’t see where the rest of the wires go without breaking the probe.

the black wire has no switch and appears to have seven pins but I don’t see seven wires inside. A bunch of them appear to be jumped.

Im really surprised a probe is this complicated. I figured it just be one wire each.

motorcarman (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

The jumpers inside the connectors tell the PDU what is hooked up.
Coax explains a lot. Makes sense.
What i need are continuity/resistance measurements from the probes and switches to each of the pins in the connector. Because of the jumpers, i also need connector pin to pin continuity/resistance measurements. I'm saying continuity/resistance, because sometimes they bury resistors in the potting at the connector as well as straight jumpers. Obviously, I need a diagram of the pin numbering convention you choose.
Thanks for your help. I know how much work this is, and your response is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Old 01-28-2023, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Gijzzy
Good writeup Jon! I think it will help people built their own base station! Meanwhile I was busy with a new batch of boards, all six are going to the UK this week.

Keep up the good work!
Hello, I have a Ford FDS2000 with the CD-ROM problem of the CDU535-01 drive, I would be grateful if I could purchase a circuit board from you, is there more recent data for the FDS apart from the data on the last CD32 ?

Old 01-29-2023, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ironspider
Hello, I have a Ford FDS2000 with the CD-ROM problem of the CDU535-01 drive, I would be grateful if I could purchase a circuit board from you, is there more recent data for the FDS apart from the data on the last CD32 ?
No problem, I have send you an email through the forum, please check your email if you haven't received, let me know your email address and I will contact you.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:31 PM
Default Thank you for you're Help

Originally Posted by Gijzzy
No problem, I have send you an email through the forum, please check your email if you haven't received, let me know your email address and I will contact you.

Hello everyone,
I would like to thank you again in all forms for the willingness to help that you have shown me, mega thanks also to Gijzzy.
I look forward to the component so that my FDS works 100% again.
If you allow me, as a Ford Explorer lover, I'll advertise in the Explorer-Board.de forum that you're super open-minded and helpful here.

Best regards

Andre

Old 02-08-2023, 03:10 PM

Bought several adapters assuming they would be for the PDU but now they arrived I see they have got a round female connector and it should be a male connector to fit to the VIA unit. Does anybody recognize these adapters? I think they belong to Peugeot or Citroën as I see ARB adapters with the same connector but can’t confirm these are as well.

Last edited by Gijzzy; 02-08-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:39 AM

Hello.
I wanted to ask if the base station module is still available? I would have liked to write a PM, but I have no idea where to go? I would be very grateful for an answer.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteZEUS
Hello.
I wanted to ask if the base station module is still available? I would have liked to write a PM, but I have no idea where to go? I would be very grateful for an answer.
You need a complete base station or only a circuit board? If you put you email address (temporarily) in your profile I will contact you directly so we don't have to spoil this topic.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:59 PM
Smile

I actually only need the circuit board. The CD-ROM has completely disintegrated. Unfortunately, no identical or similar CD-ROM is available anymore. Even Ebay has nothing left that I could use. Sorry for my not so good english, google helped...
I thought I gave my email, but I'll try to put the address in the profile.

Old 05-11-2023, 04:24 AM

Hello.
I bought an FDS2000. He's on his way to me. I don't know if it has a working CDROM.
Gijzzy Do you sell (and for how much) still a cd rom interface? (I can't send PM to You )
Regards Sebastian

Old 05-12-2023, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by sebek1111
Hello.
I bought an FDS2000. He's on his way to me. I don't know if it has a working CDROM.
Gijzzy Do you sell (and for how much) still a cd rom interface? (I can't send PM to You )
Regards Sebastian
First wait till you receive your unit and test if it works. If you are lucky you bought a later FDS2000 unit which already uses a normal CD drive and not the Sony drive. If it does have got the Sony caddy drive I will still be able to help you!

I am busy getting new parts for a new batch of boards for 4 months now, but suppliers are letting me down at the moment . But I am tenacious to build more!

ironspider (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the answer. Today I received the device. It turns on. The drive is probably Sony. I haven't checked if the CD works yet. I'll check it on Monday or Tuesday as I'm at work over the weekend. The gray cable is missing and I also don't have the cable to connect my XJ40 1993. But with your help we will get this device working Regards

Old 05-13-2023, 03:17 PM

For the cable between the base station and PDU you can check post 180 in this topic. And if I am correct your (MY93) has got te diagnostic socket under the battery in the boot, then you need cable 0756 and for that cable there is information in post 61.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:11 PM
Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I too would like to be able to talk to the diagnostic ports on my XJ40 cars but I have always found it nearly impossible to find one of these rare PDU systems to do this.
This thread is quite long now and I was wondering if someone could describe the current status of the possibility of talking to this diagnostic system in the cars if an original PDU is not available?
Will it someday be possible to talk to the system from a laptop or from some new reproduced PDU like unit?

Old 05-21-2023, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by JensenHealey
I too would like to be able to talk to the diagnostic ports on my XJ40 cars but I have always found it nearly impossible to find one of these rare PDU systems to do this.
This thread is quite long now and I was wondering if someone could describe the current status of the possibility of talking to this diagnostic system in the cars if an original PDU is not available?
Will it someday be possible to talk to the system from a laptop or from some new reproduced PDU like unit?
As far as I am aware of, there is nobody who tried to make a system that could talk to the cars jet. On a Reddit forum ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguar/comm...le_diagnostic/ ) there is somebody asking for a PDU so they can try to copy the system. I am not in contact with them and don't know if they have made any progress. Where are you located if I may ask, I know a few PDU's in the USA if you really need one. I even might be able to make a working set for you but it comes with a price.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:55 AM

Thank you for your help. I ordered connectors: neutrik, lumberg, cpc. When they come and I'll make the wires, I'll write whether the device works or not

Quick Reply: Jaguar PDU Manuals & Software