XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Just have to love British Wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Just have to love British Wiring.

So I've noticed my XJ starting to run a little warm (just past the 1/2 ) on the way home after work.

Yesterday we got stuck in traffic and then it started getting hot. Turned the A/C off, opened the windows and then turned the heater on. I then realized the fans weren't coming on.

Looked at the schematic and found a "relay" and figured thats usually the best place to start. Cut it open and took a look and it seemed fine so I figured I would look at the wiring and the fans.

According to the schematic its a straight shot from the fans to the relay and was just going to check the circuit by jumping a few pins at the really and check the fans but I couldn't get either fan to work.

Out come the fans and by suppling power and ground all is well...(sorta. Fan number 1 sounds a little rough, but thats not point here)

Start taking a closer look and the I noticed the wire colors change from the fans to the relay and are also a different gauge. But skipping that thought I found I had an open line on both fans from the fan to the relay.

After some digging I found a connector thats not shown in the harness after some serious tugging I still couldn't get it apart. At tis point Im suspecting thats my issue but I don't have a good supply of tools at the house so Ill Bring some home on Monday and get a better look at things.

Name:  fan2_zpsguhpuo62.png
Views: 130
Size:  97.6 KB

The blk/white wire from fan 1 and the purple wire on fan 2 appear to have a connector that's not shown in the diagram. Hopefully this is the issue in the hidden connector. Not to bad of schematic either way. especially being compared to the 4 pages for the lights with 11 fuses and 19 relays.

Anyone run into this?

Last edited by Jeh; 05-14-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Hi Jeh,

I don't recognize that schematic and I can't quite read the url. If you don't mind posting the location I'd love to check it out. I like having all the available references.

The Jaguar Electrical Guide that I have for the '93-'94 models does show that the power wire for each fan motor has a splice, or a joint in the wire that is not intended to be separable. Perhaps that is the connector you've found? See Figure 29 on page 79 of the pdf document available here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ec%20Guide.pdf

Regarding the relay, is the one you checked inside the fan control module? I think it's a black plastic rectangular case with two relays inside mounted to the left of the radiator but I can't remember for certain.

Other components in the circuit are the the radiator thermal switch and the refrigerant pressure switch. Both fans and the fan control module are grounded through the stud on the left inner fender near the cruise control vacuum pump.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Jeh

Hey Don thanks for the link

The one I posted is from ProDemand and is subscription based. The big difference is yours shows a connector LS26 with 4 pins and that seems to be were my issue is.

By way of the schematic 1 fan is grounded for operation and the other supplied power for operation and I should have be able to make both of them work from the relay plug just by jumping 2 wires and turning them on at the same time though it might have been a bit much for a 30 amp fuse. Either way I couldn't make either on work individually or as a pair as fan 1 wasn't getting grounded and fan 2 wasn't getting power.

Any way thanks for the schematics I'm going to save that in my iPad for future use. And I'll take pics of what I find.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-15-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM
Jeh

So I got it figured out.

I have a feeling the secondary fan never actually worked. There is a connector LS26 that has 4 wires, Not shown in my original diagram.

Name:  fans_zpsqgugpulu.png
Views: 189
Size:  101.0 KB

In my case the purple wire for fan 2 was open in the connector. The other issue was the ever popular broken solder joint inside the relay.

I bypassed the connector with a new wire and re soldered the relay. I checked it just now and both fans worked with the a/c on. So tomorrow I will reseal the relay and hopefully get the time to put it all back together.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeh:
93SB (05-25-2016), Don B (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Good work, Jeh!

Thanks for reporting back - some of the rest of us are bound to have a similar problem down the road.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Jeh

Well I'm back at it. The primary fan stopped working again. I have to think it's the same connection avian and I'm just going to cut it out of the circuit and repair the wires.

Oh well.