XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

leaping cat or not on a Daimler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only XJ40 Daimler I've seen in Aus with a D mascot is a '92 Magestic and it did have a chrome centre strip which I wouldn't mind also finding but it would still look good without it. I guess in th UK they would be as common as London cabs lol.
From what I can see on the auction site they only ship in Japan and I don't know Japanese to ask if they will ship to Aus and how much, otherwise I would've already grabbed it.
There is a shop that does sushi nearby, might not hurt to ask if they can help.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

Excellent idea! Maybe offer them a ride as a thank you?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Hi Troy,

The cat is illegal in most parts of europe but in Oz, I am not sure.

I only have my X Type Sport but fully intend on getting one as it is sitting in a box waiting!

I cannot question your style or taste as you have that in abundance and it shows!

I would personally do a google (or use a similar search engine), for images and have a look at different Jaguars and Daimlers to get a good visual idea of how it would look?

To my knowledge, Jaguar and Daimler have a jagged (excuse the pun?) exotic and almost quintessential history which I believe to be unequalled and absolutely refined!

I hope you will receive a few good replies to this very interesting and quizzical post?

I myself would look at all avenues and not stop until you have the perfect answer?

But in all essence, I believe you have the answer and I would go for it!

Some purists would disagree, but to me, you are the purist in this case and it's YOUR

CAR!

I hope to see your Masterpiece soon and I hope it concludes to your taste?

Most of all, Good Luck! Regards, Stu

Is the leaper really illegal Stu?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daimler - Leaping cat

I have a 1993 Daimler XJ40 which 'had' a Leaping Cat on the bonnet until last year and looked great. Unfortunately some git pulled it off completely and I have been trying to find the right replacement since.
A fruitless order placed in Australia never arrived(was refunded) and I just received a nice one from the UK which is too small (5").
Is there any part number someone can supply for this model ?
I also need some work done on the bonnet as I have some peeling laquer - grrrrr - Jaguar Paintwork has a grea gloss but once it lifts its a bugger to repair.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

my two cents worth....

I have an XJ40 and as per 88-89 models they did not come fitted with the leaper...
I purchased one from e-bay at a very reasonable price.
I decided to get the 5 inch rather than the larger spring loaded as I didn't want it to look too gaudy, I haven't fitted it yet.

I was a little hesitant about drilling into my hood, but figure it will look fantastic and if I stuff it up I can always fill it and respray lol

But I know it will look good.....

Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO I really wish my car did not come with the leaper...

The car screams jaguar, as it is. The fact that you now have two jaguar images on the front of the car kills me. From the small square screaming cat and now the leaper right above it. just drives me nuts...

But that is just me. If I decide to restore the car.. (kicking it around still) I will be taking the leaper off, and filling in the holes along with pulling the dent it made out of the hood..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by KC7stw
IMHO I really wish my car did not come with the leaper...

The car screams jaguar, as it is. The fact that you now have two jaguar images on the front of the car kills me. From the small square screaming cat and now the leaper right above it. just drives me nuts...

But that is just me. If I decide to restore the car.. (kicking it around still) I will be taking the leaper off, and filling in the holes along with pulling the dent it made out of the hood..
I can appreciate your thoughts and of course respect them....
Two emblems directly in line only a few inches apart may indeed be a little too much.

I have had my leaper for a little while now and still have not actually fitted it.

I have been in two minds since getting it....
However I know eventually I will fit it...... I just love the look of it and the fact that there is no missing it is a Jag at first sight.
Also it belongs... they should have never stopped putting them on.
Could you imagine a Rolls Royce without its signature emblem
or a Mercedes without hers?

When I first got the car, one of the neighbor's kids was passing by and said "you got a new car? Is it a Ford?"

Now I don't know about you, but I can not live with that kind of mistake hehehehe
I want it known at first glance.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red_101au

When I first got the car, one of the neighbor's kids was passing by and said "you got a new car? Is it a Ford?"

Now I don't know about you, but I can not live with that kind of mistake hehehehe
I want it known at first glance.
It has become a love hate thing with me now...

But a FORD... Oh wow that hurts.. On second thought.. get that sucker on the hood ASAP...

Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM

hahahaha
You got that right....
Guess he thought it was a LTD or Galaxy or something
or possibly a fairlane

Who kows.... All I know is she deserves more respect than that lol