XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Loose Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Loose Headliner

Question? The headliner in my '88 Vanden Plas is loose on the sunroof portion and buckles when the roof is opening. Anyway to fix this?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Headliners are foam lined and over time the foam deteriorates and turns to dust.
Only solution is to replace the headliner. It used to be possible to purchase this headlining material in bulk rolls at fabric stores like a Joann fabrics.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts
Don B (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Received 13,203 Likes on 6,552 Posts

Hi Ernest,

The one place you can't use upholstery twist pins is on the sunroof panel, which is steel.

Replacing the headliner fabric is really not that difficult, but it is a bit tedious and time-consuming. Once the sun visors, grab handles, overhead console and sunroof trim are removed, the headliner board can be gently folded into a "taco" curve and withdrawn through one of the passenger side doors. In some cars it is necessary to remove the front passenger seat and sometimes also the center console.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) or 3M Adhesive Remover will help dissolve the old adhesive without dissolving the foam headliner board, and a plastic- or brass-bristle brush will help scrub away the crumbs of old foam.

Cracks or bends in the board can be repaired with fiberglass resin.

The last time I checked, Joann Fabric stores still carried headliner fabric in tan and gray, but lately I've been ordering it from yourautotrim.com. Start by ordering one of their headliner sampler boards for a few dollars so you can pick the color that best matches your existing fabric and your A-, B- and C-pillars.

Another consideration is that the original fabric had a very thin foam backing, perhaps 1/16 inch or 2 mm thick. But modern aftermarket fabrics tend to have a much thicker foam backing, around 3/16 inch or 5 mm thick, and if used on the sunroof these thicker fabrics will tend to bind and either prevent the sunroof from opening or rub the fabric on the sliding panel against the headliner sunroof aperture Furflex trim. When I used to purchase fabric from Joann, I selected a thin knit fabric that closely matched the headliner fabric and used the thin knit on the sunroof. Your Auto Trim carries faux suede with and without foam backing, and the version without foam works well on the sunroof panel and is available in the same colors as their headliner fabrics.

Be sure to use a spray adhesive that is specifically designed for headliners. Standard auto trim adhesives are only rated to 110-120 degrees Fahrenheit, and the roof of your car can easily get that hot in the summer sun. Headliner adhesives by 3M and Permatex are rated to 170F and are the only type you should use.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (03-04-2021), 944play (03-09-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

I just removed and replaced the headliner fabric in my '90 Majestic. Removing the board in my car was impossible without breaking it.
The board, itself, is made from a fiber glass like material 1/4" thick, curved downward, running the length of the board contributing to
the impossibility of bending. It doesn't bend, it breaks. IMO the only way to remove this board is to remove the rear window and lift it straight out of the rear.
My replaced fabric doesn't look bad even with the broken backing board, perhaps 90% out of a 100% job. In addition to the backing board is the problem
of the broken mounting studs, metal clips and so forth on the trim pieces, required because of the auto front seat belts. All of the trim must be repaired and recovered.
It is a nightmare job on this vintage/model USA car.
My future project is to research the potential for removing/replacing the auto front seat belts with standard and a later design backing board and trim.

Last edited by Roger95; 02-28-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: improved language
Old 02-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Ernest,

The one place you can't use upholstery twist pins is on the sunroof panel, which is steel.

Replacing the headliner fabric is really not that difficult, but it is a bit tedious and time-consuming. Once the sun visors, grab handles, overhead console and sunroof trim are removed, the headliner board can be gently folded into a "taco" curve and withdrawn through one of the passenger side doors. In some cars it is necessary to remove the front passenger seat and sometimes also the center console.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) or 3M Adhesive Remover will help dissolve the old adhesive without dissolving the foam headliner board, and a plastic- or brass-bristle brush will help scrub away the crumbs of old foam.

Cracks or bends in the board can be repaired with fiberglass resin.

The last time I checked, Joann Fabric stores still carried headliner fabric in tan and gray, but lately I've been ordering it from yourautotrim.com. Start by ordering one of their headliner sampler boards for a few dollars so you can pick the color that best matches your existing fabric and your A-, B- and C-pillars.

Another consideration is that the original fabric had a very thin foam backing, perhaps 1/16 inch or 2 mm thick. But modern aftermarket fabrics tend to have a much thicker foam backing, around 3/16 inch or 5 mm thick, and if used on the sunroof these thicker fabrics will tend to bind and either prevent the sunroof from opening or rub the fabric on the sliding panel against the headliner sunroof aperture Furflex trim. When I used to purchase fabric from Joann, I selected a thin knit fabric that closely matched the headliner fabric and used the thin knit on the sunroof. Your Auto Trim carries faux suede with and without foam backing, and the version without foam works well on the sunroof panel and is available in the same colors as their headliner fabrics.

Be sure to use a spray adhesive that is specifically designed for headliners. Standard auto trim adhesives are only rated to 110-120 degrees Fahrenheit, and the roof of your car can easily get that hot in the summer sun. Headliner adhesives by 3M and Permatex are rated to 170F and are the only type you should use.

Cheers,

Don
Just had the headliner in my 1988 Vanden Plas replaced by a professional. The job took less than 5 hours and is exquisite. You wouldn’t know it wasn’t original. He removed the headliner by angling it through the front door.

Don B (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:51 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

If I do the job again I may try that approach.
Mine looks good 90% plus (?). I bought beige headliner material from JoAnn's. Gluing the fabric to the board was fairly easy as soon as I tried to bend it a bit to get it out and in the door it cracked.