XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Made replacement under fender filler panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Made replacement under fender filler panel

A day or so ago I was asking about the various differences between the big plastic cover that goes beneath the front bumper,
What is the correct name for this plastic piece anyway? Just to be clear it fits under the front bumper and runs all the way across the car.
I was asking about this because along with all of the other repairs I have been doing to my MY94 XJ6 I was working on refitting this panel.
Mine was all tore up and some of the closing panels were missing or damaged. So over the past day or two I have been working on reinforcing the various attachment points where this panel bolts to the car.
I also had to make the panels that go inside the front of the fenders / wheel wells that tie this piece to the car in there.
After much work I think I am finished with this job. The result is NOT pretty but it is now securely bolted / secured to the car.
Today I will coat this new panel with spray undercloating to try to prevent stones from flying through the sheet aluminum.
The one shown in the photo is inside the driver's wheel well. The repair on the passengers side was a little more involved because the lip on the under tray on the big plastic panel had been torn away so I had to fabricate something to replace that as well as make this same panel.

my sheet aluminum replacements inner fender panel

Old 02-24-2020, 09:55 AM
Received 12,941 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Hi Steve,

Nice work!

That piece is called the wheelarch baffle and the main section is called the wheelarch liner:

You can find this diagram here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-24-2020, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Steve,

Nice work!

That piece is called the wheelarch baffle and the main section is called the wheelarch liner:

You can find this diagram here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Cheers,

Don

I meant the big plastic piece that goes across the front of the car under the front bumper.
What is the name of that?

Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 PM
Default Tried spray undercoating

So I thought since the aluminum I used to make the inner wheel arch panels was very thin it might be a good idea to spray some undercoating on them to protect the aluminum sheet from stray rocks & stones.

So I sprayed two or three coats of spray undercoating, waiting a few minutes between light coats as the directions on the can stated.

Masked off and sprayed with undercoating
Then a few minutes later it looked like this

Did not dry and sagged right off the alloy panel

The spray on undercoating did not dry at all and did not adhere to the alloy panel at all.
So then I had to wipe it all off and spray down with carb cleaner to get rid of the failed undercoating.
A lot of messing around for no good result.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JensenHealey
I meant the big plastic piece that goes across the front of the car under the front bumper.
What is the name of that?
I could tell you, but that would be giving you a fish instead of teaching you to fish. You can find the answer to that question at the same site where I grabbed the other diagram:

Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Yeah, after searching around there a lot I found it's called a "spoiler panel" but it's not really a "spoiler"
However if that is what the factory called it I guess we are stuck with that name.

spoiler panel - item 1 in the diagram

Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 PM

The spray on undercoating did not dry at all and did not adhere to the alloy panel at all.
So then I had to wipe it all off and spray down with carb cleaner to get rid of the failed undercoating.
A lot of messing around for no good result.
I wonder if it would help to scarify the aluminum with sandpaper first to give it a "key" or "tooth," then spray on a coat of gray primer, or even better if you can find it, this:

Could part of your problem been cold temperatures that caused the undercoating to not set up as quickly as it should?

Cheers,

Don

93SB (02-26-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 PM

Ha! What coincidence. The spray on undercoating I used was also made by Rust-Oleum.
The can said the minimum temperature was 50° and it was indeed just barely 50° today and might have been a little colder than that inside my shop.

Don B (02-27-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 PM

Yeah, after searching around there a lot I found it's called a "spoiler panel" but it's not really a "spoiler"
However if that is what the factory called it I guess we are stuck with that name.

spoiler panel - item 1 in the diagram
Jaguar's terminology often derives from earlier models, but in this case I don't think the Series III had a "spoiler panel," so the folks at Jaguar must have come up with that term for the XJ40. I suppose that part could be called a valance, fascia, lower grille, or air dam.... What would you call it?

Cheers,

Don

93SB (02-26-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:30 PM

In my experience it is not deep enough to be a "air dam" but lower valence sounds like a good name to me.

Don B (02-27-2020)