XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Mineral Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
The mineral oil system has got to be the biggest technical/engineering blunders ever done by Jaguar on the XJ40. Even Jaguar come up with technical fixes/addendum's to replace the system(s).

If the purpose for your XJ40 is for daily use, then get rid of the SLS and covert the brake system!

If your vehicle purpose is for concourse shows, then maintain the original equipment, and buy every spare part you can for the SLS and brake systems.

These systems will fail even at low milage, my first repair the the SLS was at 45K miles, and I was dumb enough to fix it two more times after that!!!

Shame on me.

Not much into car shows, other than looking at what I cannot afford! I drove my Jag daily for a couple years until the fan blew up and allowed engine to overheat. After sitting for a couple years I replaced engine, and want to get it back on the road this spring. I just never wanted to part with this and wanted to leave it original, but brake servo issue seems to be a continual issue, and I don't know if SLS syetem even works. If it doesn't I will be changing it in the spring as well. I need to repaint and reupholster also to get this think looking good again.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Frankie, Could I trouble you for the hydraulic diagram? My 88 xj40 has a pulsing hydraulic line. Your diagram should help. Thanks in advance. Ron. rmorey@sasktel.net

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by British Ride
Frankie, Could I trouble you for the hydraulic diagram? My 88 xj40 has a pulsing hydraulic line. Your diagram should help. Thanks in advance. Ron. rmorey@sasktel.net
Frankie's post was from 2008 so I doubt he's still around

however, I noticed the document you need was mentioned further down in the thread as being in the upload section ...so

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?lj9azlc1qhdd73n

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
British Ride (09-24-2015), Don B (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Frankie, I found a copy of the S73 (service bulletin?) on a lower post. Thanks very much for the offer of help. That's what makes this forum so powerful. I think I probably have the diagram now since the bulletin has a complete hydraulics diagram for 88-89 and 90+ cars. Thanks again, Ron.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
93 and some 94's still had. All 1994 XJ12's had it. You get into a real mess with the 94 models, because the later ones had the X300 suspension so the standard conversion kit doesn't work.
Do you happen to know the best way to determine if a 94 xj40 does or doesn't have SLS? The rear on my vehicle is very bouncy and I had mechanics look at this morning and they told me there's nothing wrong with my shocks or anything else they can see. I'm trying to determine if they either don't know what they're doing or if my car has SLS and could be a possible culprit. Thanks for the information and your time.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Roob0481, I do not know for sure. The only way I know is to follow the lines from the hydraulic pump to the rear shocks. Not an easy task. If they are not plugged, as in removed and terminated or do not exist then you don't have the hydraulic system. On a 94 I do not believe the hydraulic pump is used for anything but the suspension. Someone else may be able to correct me. On the 88-90's there is a pressure accumulator on the RH side mounted on the front clip only visible from below. The brake portion, that you do not have is mounted above that on the inner fender and is visible from the top. Possibly the 94 would have it mounted in the higher position, don't know that either. My rear suspension uses standard shocks and is fairly soft. It recovers quickly from road dips so I suspect it is Ok. That may be that case with yours also. The normal stationary bounce test should give you the info you need. I know this is not a very definitive response to your post but hopefully it is of some help.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

British Ride thank you for your assistance and direction. I read deeper into the Haynes manual and believe I found the clarification. Chapter 10 Suspension and Steering Systems 2.) Self-leveling rear suspension system (SLS)

"1988 through 1992 models were equipped with a system that provided hydraulic power for the rear suspension and for the power brakes." "The system was discontinued on 1993 and later models which are equipped with conventional shock absorber/coil spring units." I've been looking for that answer for a while and it was right in my face. I ordered the traditional shock absorbers and will see how it goes. Thank you for your time and information again sir.