XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Moldy boot: a new job for my riding restauration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moldy boot: a new job for my riding restauration.

Hello friends,

After solving 8 or 9 (I've lost count) leaks in the boot of my '91 40, it appears I've got another one. The first 5 times were quite funny because it made me feel like a proper Jaagg-owner, but it's starting to get quite obnoxious.
The biggest problem is actually that apparently I've left things soaking for too long. The boot lid trimboard is a total loss. It's warped and the mold is everywhere. I've tried to clean it, but I couldnt get all the mold off.
I took the vertical backboard that sits behind the spare tire off too, to check for leaks. It has mold on it as well... I noticed though that the carpet itself is actually in decent shape and is only kept in place by staples around the edges on the rear side of the board. The top right corner was already broken when I bought my 40, so I was thinking of constructing two new panels.
Both panels are made of the same cheaplooking cardboard stuff. Here's some mold-pictures for you to enjoy:

Mold on the lidboard. This was cleaned up nice, but the rear side is in an absolute state.. :-(

The backboard installed, dirty from the spare tire

The rear side of the lidboard. This is a good closeup of the material. Any clue what material exactly they used back in 1991?

The cracked top right part of the backboard

An absolute state..

So, long story short not ideal. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of material was originally used on these two panels? It appears to be some cheap cardboard.
The plan is to use these two originals to cut two brand new panels. The backboard will receive the old carpet, after I have thoroughly cleaned it ofcourse! :-) The new lidboard would have to be painted in a matt black. It sounds like a doable job for sure.

The leak-problem would still have to be solved though. The leaks I've already 'solved' are:
- clogged antenna drain
- not properly fitted boot-vent on the right side (the triangular plastic box on the inside of the body)
- missing blank plug (2x)
- damaged rear foglight grommet
- damaged antenna grommet
And a few more, which I can't think of right now.

The new leak appears to be very local. I took my '40 through the carwash the other day (with most carpetry removed) and the ONLY wet spots I could find where there was wetness visibly was at these triangular spots on the floor of the boot. Ofcourse water will drain to those as they're the lowest bit of the boot, but nothing appeared to have dripped to there. Does anyone what they are for and if they can leak?

There's three of these triangular indents across the front edge of the boot. All were wet after the carwash

The other thing that seemed.. dodgy, were two blank plugs that appear to have some loose kit. They sit on the vertical rear edge, where also the fog light wiring enters the boot.

I'm excited to renew the panels, but I'm worried for the leaky situation. I don't need any more rust on my car and I definitely don't want my newly made panels to start molding off.

If you have any more tips on either the material used on the first gen '40s for the backboard and lidboard it'd be greatly appreciappreciate!
Tips regarding the water-situation too ofcourse..!

-Douwe

Last edited by Douwe; 03-19-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

I would call that material "Masonite." I'm in the US and there's probably a different name for it in Europe. It's the same stuff that "pegboard" is made from. I would/ have gotten it in 4x8 ft. sheets at the hardware store. As far as that leak, could it be the rear window seal? If it leaked in the car wash, then I would think it's from above somewhere. Your package shelf would likely be wet too though. If you've done the trunk seal already then that only leaves the window or the fuel fuller seal- but you have cleaned that drain and probably would have noticed a crack it the rubber? You could do the comical thing and climb in there and then have someone Whom You Trust spray water over the suspected areas.... just a thought.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

[QUOTE=jerry_hoback;2624755]I would call that material "Masonite." /QUOTE]

So would I, Jerry - but I think the Brits call it "hardboard" ...not sure about other countries

Larry

Old 03-28-2023, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your answer, Jerry!
The insulation material that sits on top of the petrol tank seems dry as a whistle, which makes me believe it isn't the window seal. I haven't thoroughly checked the parcel shelf, but I haven't noticed any smells in the interior that would point to water sitting still. I'll definitely check just to be sure.

So apart from filling the triangles and the blank plugs with silicone kit (I hate that stuff) I am in fact planning on sitting in the boot and having someone spray the car with water. Luckily I know how to open the boot from the inside, I may have nearly locked myself in there before.
So to me it seems like it's either the fuel filler area, or one of the the other options I've mentioned before.

Masonite/hardboard is exactly what I need! Thank you and Lawrence too. Once I've fixed the leaks I'll rebuild the two panels. I let the lidboard dry and it warped so badly that it won't ever get back to normal..

I'll keep you updated on the progress.. :-)

Douwe

Old 03-30-2023, 03:25 PM
Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

remove the lining and drive it in rain or live like that for the time being, you will see where leaks comes from before they soak in, i bet on window seal, it doesn't drop on tank insulation but goes on the sidewall -> wheel arch -> soak around