XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

My run in with the electrical gremlins..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My run in with the electrical gremlins..

Today, I thought I'd remove the passenger side blower motor, as it is not functioning as it should, and was also full of water and sludge. I didn't disconnect any major components like the ECM or anything, but I did disconnect the harness for the glove compartment light. After taking it out, I decided to not bother putting it back in because it wouldn't work. I put everything back the way it was, and now wahla, the car won't start! I double checked everything to make sure all components were connected before installing the black cover and outer trim. I also periodically turned the car to accessory mode to run the blower for a few seconds, as I had the plumbing disconnected from both of them, as I wanted to know if they were bad, or if I had a jam somewhere in my HVAC system. The right blower is bad and there's plug somewhere as well. But, as of right now, the car won't start. Heck, the interior light and map light won't come on. Could I have weakened the battery by testing the blowers periodically, even though I immediately turned the key off after each time?? I should also mention that when I open the glove box, the light inside comes on and so does the amber colored lights below my headlights. If I can't get this car started, I can't get around..!

Last edited by dhatfield12; 09-22-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,150 Likes on 807 Posts

Ouch man. You have my sympathies. I think that first thing I would do there is go back and 1) make sure you have all the plugs that you disconnected back to their right mates and 2) have a good look at the row of relays behind the glove box door. There are also a couple of computers back there that you may have jostled. I doubt that testing the fans would have made the battery completely dead. (you have no crank at all?) 3) check fuses. But to make the parking lights come on with the glove box- that sounds like you got 2 plugs mixed up. (and its kind of amusing from way over here- sorry). good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Will be looking into everything electrical once it stops raining, but time for a plot twist: I came out this morning to try to start it and it fired right up on the first try! Still don't have any interior lights (if I forgot to mention that, my apologies), and now, my glove box light doesn't come on at all. But my regular light switch seems to work. So does my wiper and vent system, and rear defroster. But the radio also doesn't work now either..

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Default Just had to pull two fuses..

Lights weren't coming on, so I checked my fuses the blown fuse light was on, but I passed it off as being a blown blower motor fuse (as that fuse usually trips), but my interior light fuse was blown so I changed it. Also pulled the fuse for the radio and reinstalled. Now everything works, except the button to lock the doors and roll the windows up, but that doesn't bug me, something must've been plugged in backwards

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,150 Likes on 807 Posts

Well! That was fortunate! (?) It worries me to no end when things "fix" with no apparent repair. Sounds like you have a fair grip on it though. Keep at it, youll have it back in no time.