XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

new to jag

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to jag

hi there all!
as title says im new to jag, i just picked up a 1988 vanden plas (i hope this is the right place to post for this) anyways this car is not running i was told it has bad gas my father thinks is either fuel pump and/ or fuel filter, my first question is where is the fuel filter? (pardon my stupidity) i ordered the haynes book but i can't wait til it gets here i wanna start workin on it asap trying to get her on te road for next weekend. so please help where is the fuel pump and filter???

my second question is where can i get the wood trim replacement???

3rd. where can i get the floor mats this car has nothing but steel lol i need the carpet and floormats also would like to get the dash board and head liner

thanks in advance for ur help!

ps how do i do a search on the forum bcuz im sure someone already asked all this questions

Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome lazzytan,

Try checking jagbits.com for floor mats, the last time i checked they had the set of 4 for the xj40. Plus they have almost every part so that should also cover your fuel pump search.. Not sure about the wood trim though, if you find anything let me know!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you dont mind traveling to worcester mass there is a yard sams pull a part (you have to remove the items yourself) prices a usually very cheap, last time i was there they had 7 xj 40s. they are part of Linders auto salvage is on granite street in worcester.Linders phone is 800 521 8000. Also standard auto wrecking is next to them and they also have a few jags in the yard prices are also cheap (they take the parts off for you no customers in the yard) their phone is 800 922 8281.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure if you have found it yet but you'll find the fuel filter under the chasis just forward of one of the rear wheels...then trace the line back towards the fuel tank (rear) and the pump will be tucked away just forward of the rear suspension....you'll need to take the wheel off to access it properly...

The fuel pump relay will be located behind the knee board under the glovebox

You said that you needed a new dash? Don't forget that there are a lot of electrics that control a lot of things hidden away in there so it could be why you can't get the engine to start... best advice is to give more details about your starting problem... is your battery fully charged?...is there spark? Are you getting fuel to the injectors? etc

Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Thank you all for ur support
Jagfix: thanks a lot! So I found the filter and the pump (boy that pump is hard to ge to) my mechanic aka father lol thinks that there is no power goin to the pump! He checked all the relays n told me they are all good now my question is the car got wet at one point is it possible that the wire itself is the problem? Also do u know what color wire it is? I cannot wait to get the book!!! :# thanks again to all

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM

So here is a more detailed starting trouble. Brand new battery fully charge, yes spark and I can hear engine crank. Will start if spray starter fluid direct into air intake had it running for about 45 sec, sprayin fluid into intake the whole time so no I dnt think there is as goin in to the injectors. I hope this helps u help me and once again THANKS A LOT

Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

lazzytan:
I would double check the fuel pump relay. You can simply swap out a known-good relay from another system to see. Sounds like you are not getting fuel. If the relay is good, you may be on the cusp of a whole battery of tests to eliminate the possible causes for a non-start scenario - beginning with fuel pressure.

Best of luck!
Scott

Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Finally had A lil time to play w the jag today! Replaced the fuel pump relay, n still nothing Didn't have that much time maybe tomorrow I will try to reset the inertia switch, any other ideas??? Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 03:50 PM

lazzytan, you will need to be more specific in regards to your non start issue and you also need to be more systematic as we can not see or hear what is or isn't happening when you turn the key.

Did you replace the fuel pump?
Have you checked the fuel pump non return valve? This is the valve on the end of the pump that helps retain fuel pressure in the line between the pump and the rail.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
Can you hear the fuel pump running when the key is turned on? You should be able to hear it running.
Is there good fresh fuel in the tank?
Is the fuel pump actually pumping fuel? If it is, have you checked to see if it is reaching the fuel rail and injectors?

Resetting the inertia switch is a two second job, it's sort of behind and on top of the fuse panel in the drivers foot well... reach under and you will feel it....it's just a simple button. There is a possibility that the switch itself may be defective, or one of the wires is not connected...

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jagfix38
lazzytan, you will need to be more specific in regards to your non start issue and you also need to be more systematic as we can not see or hear what is or isn't happening when you turn the key.

Did you replace the fuel pump?
Have you checked the fuel pump non return valve? This is the valve on the end of the pump that helps retain fuel pressure in the line between the pump and the rail.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
Can you hear the fuel pump running when the key is turned on? You should be able to hear it running.
Is there good fresh fuel in the tank?
Is the fuel pump actually pumping fuel? If it is, have you checked to see if it is reaching the fuel rail and injectors?

Resetting the inertia switch is a two second job, it's sort of behind and on top of the fuse panel in the drivers foot well... reach under and you will feel it....it's just a simple button. There is a possibility that the switch itself may be defective, or one of the wires is not connected...
hello sorry it took me so long to come back, i havent have any time to work on this car, so this is what i have done so far replaced sparkplugs, and fuel filter, got a brand new battery. i have not replaced fuel pump yet, nor have i emptied the tank to put fresh gas in it (it had bad gas n i added new premium fuel plus an octane boost) while i cannot hear the pump whirring i can feel like a relay type movement inside the pump when the switch moves on the on position. i had my dad try to started with my hand on the pump, dunno if that matters or makes any sense at all anyways my plan 4 this weekend was to drain the tank n add new fuel n if nothing happens then replace the pump. the pump is in a hard to get spot!

ps i have spark and can hear the injectors click the car will start if starter fluid is sprayed on the air intake

is there any other ideas out there???
THANKS A TON!!!!

Last edited by lazzytan; 07-05-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: ADD MORE DETAILS
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

It sounds like you have diagnosed the problem....a faulty fuel pump! when the key is turned on you should be able to hear (as well as feel) the pump actually making a very distinctive whirring noise... you can also check to see if it's pumping by disconnecting the fuel line off at the filter (pump side) and having someone else turn the key....just make sure you have an empty container to direct the fuel into If you don't get any or very little fuel then yep...it's the pump!

Save the time and don't worry about draining the fuel tank unless you really want to give it a good clean out in which case removal will be the only option and you'll need a lot of time spare (see other posts)....just replace the pump first and see if it cures the problem. Yes it's tight in there....but a few deep breaths and slowly slowly you'll have the pump swapped out in no time. There should be a bolt head on the outlet side of the pump that you can hold onto with a spanner to stop it turning while trying to undo the fuel lines....make sure you replace the little non return valve at the same time as the pump...

Hope you're having fun working out everything....it will be worth it when you're cruising along with a great big cat smile from ear to ear!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM

So here is the update! 2 hrs under the jag, tasted gas, lost my mind n some skin off my hands! Replaced fuel pump as old one was shot, still no start!!!
2 things the fuel filter connection is leaking nothing big just a drop, how many gaskets is it supposed to have? And what would b next step after replacing fuel pump n filter, also new sparks new battery n new air filter! Please help!! There is enough gas in the tank for a fire :#

Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Congrats on getting the fuel pump replaced...with the filter, just try nipping up the lines a little tighter...the copper washer on either end will settle in and stop the leak...

Now it's time to pay some attention to the injectors and thankfully they are alot more accessible than the pump was! Take them out, see it they are spraying, and by that I mean not just a dribble but a decent spray and have them checked/serviced/cleaned...pop them back in and fire away!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Default Car started and ran for 2 hrs!!!

newest update!

first i want to thank everyone who has help me out!
so as the title says the cat started and ran for a lil over 2 hrs.
GIVING ME SOME TIME TO AROUND WITH IT

new problems lol
1.i started it with a lil squirt of starting fluid, then it stayed on all by it self for 2 hrs. then after shutting engine off it didnt start back on its own til a lil fluid was sprayed on. (what can b causing the need for the starter fluid?)
2. has a gas leak from around the filter, while o ring is in place and is as tight as it will probably get. (am i missing another one?)
3. when in gear makes a horrible noise, nice and quiet when in park. any ideas?
4.power steering leak pretty bad.
5. brakes are hard as a rock i litterally stepped on the brake w both my feet n barely stops.
6.are the headlights supposed to stay on? at all times? except when keys are not in ignition

thats my major concern for right now and boy i got to admit this will deffinetly b a money pit, but im loving it more

BIG THANKS TO ALL

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Great News re getting her started! Well done!

Hopefully some others can give you some input re all the next jobs to tackle...Rectifying them is going to take some time, some patience and probably a little bit more skin off your knuckles!

1. The starting issue may be a sensor...maybe the o2? the pressure regulator on the fuel rail? or even that annoying little leak at the filter (have you tried some teflon tape on the thread to stop the leak?). Try turning the ignition on for a few seconds (but not to start) then off, then on, then off a few times and then try starting. This will help build the pressure at the rail.

3. The horrible noise in the transmission could be any number of things and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it will probably mean opening your wallet!!! have you drained the fluid and taken off the pan to check what condition it is in? you want to see nice clean red fluid...if it is milky or has lots of crud and filings then it sounds like an overhaul or replacement will be necessary...These transmissions can take on water as they cool via the radiator unless a separate oil cooler has been fitted. Water in these transmissions will kill them. These ZF units can be rebuilt at home with lots of patience and a very clean workspace. They are a real bugger to remove from the car though if leaving the engine in and if I had to do mine again I would take both the transmission and the engine out together in one piece.

The other check you can make is to detach the drive shaft at the transmission and run to check if the noise is in the transmission or the drive line (drive shafts, bearings, flex disc, or diff)

*****WORD OF CAUTION...BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PLAYING UNDERNEATH THESE BEASTS...You want to be very sure that it securely in the air and it will not fall on you!******

4. Time to check and see where the power steering fluid is leaking from...could be a broken line or seal failure.

5. Time also to check pad, disc wear, brake lines and bleed the brakes ensuring a total renewal of the old fluid with the new. Have the brakes been converted from the power hydraulics (HSMO green fluid reservoir) to a conventional vacuum booster?

6. You should be able to turn the headlights on and off

Hope this helps....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 AM

On the subject of the transmission, I forgot to add that the transmission mount should be checked as the original foam bushings wear out. The replacements are made of much more durable rubber. You'll know if the bushings are worn as you'll hear a thumping noise under the floor when the Cat is being driven.

The engine and transmission are mounted at three points in a triangular arrangement...two engine mounts and a single spring pan (transmission mount) for the transmission. when removing the spring pan you will need to place a jack under both the engine sump and another under the spring pan to help you wind them down (use a jack and lots of care as it is tightly sprung and you really don't want to cop a spring in the mouth!) Don't forget to loosen off/remove the radiator fan shroud if you do this as when the transmission lowers, the fan blade will rise...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 AM

Hello jagfix n thanks again for ur help n support. Sorry I wasn't clear about the noise, It doesn't seem to b coming from the transmission more so from the engine. Is weird but its when I put in gear the engine starts idling really rough almos like the pistons are knocking, (scary) but it doesn't do It when on park. I didn't drive far or fast enough to test the tranny bcuz the brakes r so bad. Thanks again