XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Paint Job

Somebody keyed my jag, so the insurance company gave me 3,500 dollars and totalled it, and then i went to Maaco had it repainted and dents fixed for 1,500 and got the car back on my insurance coverage. Pictures will come but it looks great!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

omg, who keys a beuty, i have a x type and its been sitting in one of alberta's ****test, most drugg infested area of town and nobody so much as touched it excpet for a moron that slammed his door into my car

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Well it's parked outside 24/7 in a huge lot at my college, which is full of not very smart partiers...who have no respect for anyones property. It's sad because people in my high school never touched my car for two years, yet go to a place of higher learning and they key it and kick out the turn signals

Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Sorry to hear about that nasty thing ,I presumed you traded in Jaguar for other car

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

No i've just been busy, I never plan on trading that car...drive it til it dies...or until I move outside of the US whichever occurs first.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Default New Paint Job Maaco, with Pictures

Just a few pictures I took after a wash before heading to summer school.

Attached Thumbnails New Paint Job-front.jpg   New Paint Job-front-macrel-sky.jpg   New Paint Job-side-reflection.jpg   New Paint Job-trunk.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good I was kicking around having them repaint mine when I get back from deployment

Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM

I'd would really like to know how the paint job is holding up. I've heard good and bad reports about Macco.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I think you should install a 7" leaper on your XJ6 as well

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

I might when I repaint

For some odd reason I really like the leaper being there on the hood

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Paint still is looking good. I have also heard bad things about Maaco, but this specific one was recommended. I believe maaco is a franchise so everyone probably varies in quality so I would listen on the grapevine for a good one. For 1,100 I don't think you can beat the value, and they did a good job getting out some scratches and dents. They stated that they would sand down the few little rust spots that were there, but I don't think they did because there are little bubbles on 2 of the spots I had rust before...but that would happen eventually anyway.

But I can't really blame them for rust, the color was really good and still glossy, looks very good for a metalic paint job. And I know they have the 5 year warranty on like the paint fading or something like that, but it doesnt cover rust or bubbling.
Also if you want to change the car color that will cost you extra for painting inside of the parts.

But yea...this was a very well recommended Maaco, and I'd rate the overall job an 8/10, which is great for the price. So it really depends on how you feel about the car, and the individual shop. I assume my car will only get rustier so ultimately that will be the end of the car...so I wasn't going to drop 3,000 dollars making the paint look perfect

Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 PM

MangooLeaf so are you one of those sneaking new spammers, I think you might be with your little sewing links imbedded in your sig....

93xj6 thanks for the update, I appreciate it. I'm thinking when I return next year I'll have it repainted but I'm thinking color change to a pearl white from the plain glacier white. Nothing to major and I don't think it would really require doing inside the jams etc.

Don't be surprised late next year when this thread pops back up looking for a update lol

Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Oh Yea I'll keep you updated. Just send me a pm or pop this back up...depending on busyness I may not be very active. My car basically sits outside all the time during the school year at college, with snow and rain and sunlight...so if the paint holds up it will be with extreme conditions

Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks Brother that sounds like the situation my car will be seeing for the most part so it should give me a good idea.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not my intention to burst your bubble, but I'm not a big Maaco fan. It could of been my specific shop, but I'd assume such a chain would be generally standard across the board. I once had the entire car repainted, just to refresh the paint. Got their most expensive package, Signature at the time, might of changed. It looked great at the time, and remained so for about two years. When it started to become somewhat dull, and as if there was a grayish film developing on the clear coat. Details never fixed it. I ended up painting it once more elsewhere, for like five thousand. Been four years since, and it shine like new.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Estunum hit the nail on the head regarding the quality of Maaco detailing. I would only use them if I was getting rid of the car or just wanted to give new life to an old clunker. Since the majority of Jaguar owners consider their cats as prized possessions, it would be worth having them repainted professionally. Usually a good detailing shop will have photos or references for their previous work. A good detailer will also remove external hardware (like bumpers, lights, etc.) in order to make sure the paint reaches those hard to see areas. They would also identify and repair potential or problematic areas not visible to the casual looker.

Beware of shops that use illegals to do the work. Most of the time they cut corners or have poor application skills, which will show up in the sunlight with flying colors.

I know it costs a lot to have the car painted professionally (upwards of $5000 +) but well worth it if you do indeed wish to keep the car for a long time. So start saving those pennies!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

I know a lot of people who own franchises...Maaco gets all their paint and supplies from the same places but the integrity of the people who invest in their company makes the difference in quality, and obviously if the franchise owner is dedicated to quality then that specific shop will do a good job, so it varies.

And Fritterfran, anybody who would pay 5,000 dollars to have a XJ40 repainted would be a fool because this car in mint condition couldn't sell for 5,000 dollars.

And I'm generally offended man. A, how do you know somebody is an "illegal" and B, how does their citizenship effect their ability to paint a car. One of my best friends was born in Columbia and moved here when he was one...Got straight A's all through high school and got accepted to the best state school in Illinois. Can't afford to go there anymore because he is not a US citizen and doesn't have a green card so he could not receive scholarships or financial aid obviously. But he still works hard through community college and I'm certain he will be successful in the future...So did he cut corners and do a crummy job.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 AM

93xj6

First of all...to prevent this from turning into a flame war, and the fact that it is off topic for this group, I will not respond to your last part of your reply. However, should this be another forum where this issue could be debated, I would respond tit for tat for each item and I can assure you that you would lose. Furthermore, your response for your good friend was already answered by your narrative.

Regarding franchises such as Maaco....you seem to be under the illusion that if the owner is respectable, they will do a good job. A franchise is as good as the workers and materials that are put into it. If you truly believe that a paint job up to $500 would last as long, contain the deep luster finish, or pay attention to peripheral detailing, you are deeply mistaken. That is why it is so cheap. You indicate that it is foolish to pay upwards of $5000 for professional repainting of a car. There is a lesson that they apparently haven't taught you in school.....Quality isn't Cheap. This is a Jaguar, on the same level as Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin, etc. Not a Pinto. It's true that the job would cost more than your purchase price of the car. Have you forgotten that these cats were not inexpensive when they were new? You would probably surpass your investment expenses on your vehicle in just mechanic labor and replacing items on your own. Perhaps you should paint zebra stripes on your vehicle. It would cost about the same as a Maaco job.

Anyway, enough of my thoughts regarding repainting a nice vehicle. These are my opinions. Take them as you may. Every individual is entitled to their own opinion. Experience and wisdom develops with age. Remember, just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean that it's quality.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Except what you don't understand is people are able to afford new Jaguars and other nice things by being frugal, and not spending a ridiculous sum on trying to make the exterior of their car look great. I could care less what the outside of the car looks like, I just repainted it so I could get back on the comprehensive insurance coverage and it probably extended the life of the car a little. The interior and ride quality is about all that concerns me, plus the engine running. And if you read the posts, it isn't a 500 dollar paint job, it's 1,100. Plus again if you read, the insurance totaled my car for 3,500 hundred, and I paid 1,500 for painting and fixing my car. So I paid basically -2000 dollars for the job.
And I've owned this car for over 2 and a half years, and I haven't even spent half what it''s worth on maintenance.

Yes you are very wise, you would imagine that the phrase "Remember, just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean that it's quality." I always thought that the more you paid the worse the product. Let me throw some wisdom at you, just because something is EXPENSIVE does not mean that it is quality.

You talk about wisdom, and yet you just bash Maaco because you got suckered into a bad paint job. Well I did research on the specific Maaco I went to, it was highly recommended by people that have had their cars painted there for years...so I think I was wise and got the good deal.

P.S. wisdom comes with age but so does Bigotry.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told by the Jaguar Service place I go to it costs $2800 to repaint an XJ40 it's original color. More if you want another color. Some day I might paint mine Buhrgandy.

Quick Reply: New Paint Job