XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

newbie with starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with starting issues

Hello first things 1st the car : 92' Sovereign 4.0 auto Uk spec

Now to my issue ,the car had been unused for just over a week in cold climate.
when I went to start it Battery was dead,so charged up and refitted next day
started 2nd time of trying and idled fine,so into gear and away to give a run,
got onto bypass and was going fine for good 2-3 mile then it started to splutter and miss with loss of power,managed to get turned round and head back home before it lost power again down to about 30mph I managed to pull into layby. where it cut out,left it for few mins and it started again ,but as soon as I gave it some revs would just cut out, now it just starts for few moments and cuts out, when try to give it some gas justs cuts out too !!!

Apologies for a long first post but trying to give a good account of the problem incase anyone has had same thing happen, any good advice to where to start. ?? just spent last couple hours trawling old posts for same sort of prob without much luck

Have had plugs out and getting spark etc, thought may have been air flow meter ??? I feel like it is a fueling problem??

Any ideas or comments welcome in my Quest
TIA

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, you don't say if there were any symptoms before it was left a week with flat batt.

No messages on the VCM? This would help.

Turn your ignition on with no other electrical devices on, (do not start engine) press VCM and observe. BTW if you have * next to a code will tell you that there are multiple codes.

When you first turn the ignition on do you hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds it is in the tank in the boot and the link lead is well known to fail.

Have someone turn on the ignition whilst you listen in the boot.

There is also a fuel pump relay in the engine bay you might want to test it, or swap it with another for testing purposes.

I am no expert but try cleaning the throttle body it can bad badly crudded up.

Hopefully some of the guys can come in, and offer some better advice, because there are so many things in the chain, so to speak.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again, There were no symptoms before ,just never got used and cold weather must have took life out of battery,I had nothing on VCM however tonight after checking fuel was getting there and had plugs out and cleaned it is running on idle,and ticking over,but as before as soon as you give it some gas it splutters and sounds as tho only running on 4-5 then dies,
fault code : fuel failure 14. has appeared. and after some searching
: fuel failure 14 appears to meen : Coolant thermistor: Resistance out of range or static during engine warm up........

So does anyone know what this is ???
and how to replace or fix and where I should find this on engine ??
and/or if this would relate to sypmtoms that car is experiencing ??
Tia

Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

That's another term for the coolant temperature sensor for the fuel injection system, it's a black plastic switch with a wiring connector plugged on the top of it, and it's on the top of the thermostat housing.

That won't cause severe engine performance problems. You need a mechanic to check it out.